1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NBA on ESPN/ABC adds Bill Simmons, and Jalen Rose as studio analysts

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by SkyrimOwnsAll, Oct 19, 2012.

1. ChievousFTFace

ChievousFTFace Contributing Member

[​IMG]

Magic is a consummate professional and on par with our own Drexler. ;)

2. tinywang

tinywang Contributing Member

Yeah something just doesn't click with this group. They need to bring back Mike Tirico to the half time show.

3. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

Huh? Whatever you're getting out of this thread is obviously incorrect.
    Folks everywhere it seems, love Inside the NBA on TNT, yet Barkley will NEVER EVER EVER be considered articulate.
    I'm pretty sure Magic (and Jalen to an extent) aren't the only problems w/the ESPN show. Some ppl take issue with Wilbon, some with Simmons and MOST with the combination and analysis.

4. BasketballReasons

BasketballReasons Contributing Member

Wonder if he'll bring the bat.

5. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Was just going off the recent small cluster of posts.
    Bring in Brian Scalabrine, Larry Bird, Scott Van Pelt, Van Gundys,
    Jalen, Charles, Kenny, Magic do "nothing for me".

(Come on now :eek: ) It wasnt meant to be serious though

For what its worth - I'm not a big fan of the Jalen style "early 90's hip hop mantra" tone. You'd think Jalen and Simmon's style would be complementary because they're both irreverent and shameless about their roots, but still a tinge of clash in the chemistry. The others like Magic don't bring it in together.

I'd agree with you, its less about individual parts preferences and more how the unit operates. Also agree that it wont compare to TNT who's in-articulate element is actually part of its asset.

6. DreamRoxCoogFan

Mike Tirico is the best. Dunno why he doesn't get more primetime opportunities

7. FoOLiSh_AzN

FoOLiSh_AzN Member

jon barry is horrible....jalen rose is cool, keeps it real and much better insight about the game

8. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

My opinions on the cast is simple:
    1. Get a guy like Avery Johnson on the set...He can describe plays and provide accurate assessments on coaching strategies, game planning extra..
    2. Get a former player similar to a Grant Hill(and obviously Shane Battier once he is done)...in game insight from a player perspective is why i love Chris Webber, and even Kenny Smith...
    3. Keep either Simmons or Wilbon...they are essentially redundant...
    4. Magic is like Shaq...really zero insight just comedic relief, but he is just bad as an analyst...he really needs to go
    5. SASmith is just a terrible idea, keep him far away from the set...
    6. If Wilbon goes, maybe we can bring in Hannah Storm...she would be terrific as a host and is a solid facilitator...

Storm, Avery Johnson, Hill, Simmons would be a nice start...imho

9. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

and in regards to Jalen Rose, i think he should start working some games...he also gives good ingame insights, and think a pairing with Mike Tirico would be something solid...

10. I am a Donut

I am a Donut Contributing Member

Am I the only one who likes this crew? I think they are all really sharp guys and offer better analysis and less clowning than TNT but still keep things fun. There may be a crew that is better at breaking down a game, but I really like all of these four's personalities.

11. oakdogg

oakdogg Contributing Member

I can't stand Jalen Rose. His tone just seems off. Not as bad as Drexler, but why would he be the moderator?

12. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

Simmons has said during the season they were forced to discuss Lakers/Heat/Knicks almost exclusively.

13. J.R.

J.R. Member

ESPN to replace Mike Wilbon with Doug Collins

Michael Wilbon’s role on ESPN’s NBA Countdown will be diminished next season, and taking his spot on the set will most likely be former 76ers coach Doug Collins, multiple sources told The Big Lead.

The move is primarily so that Wilbon can return to focusing on the show that made him a star, Pardon the Interruption. In recent years, Wilbon has increasingly appeared on PTI via remote – from Chicago, Miami, Los Angeles, Arizona, etc – diluting some of the outstanding chemistry he’s built up with longtime friend Tony Kornheiser.

An ESPN spokesman told The Big Lead, ”We’re still in the process of finalizing our commentator plans for this season.”

The rest of the 2012-2013 Countdown cast – Bill Simmons, Jalen Rose and Magic Johnson – has notified ESPN they will return to the show.

Wilbon will still appear on NBA Countdown occasionally, but his seat on the set will be filled by a former NBA coach, and Collins is currently the leader. Two other coaches are in the mix, but Collins has reached the negotiating stage, sources tell The Big Lead.

Collins has extensive TV experience, from NBA on NBC to NBA on TNT. One source says Collins still wants to be a game analyst, and will occasionally do that for ESPN. But his primary role will be on the set.

So they have four talking heads with no real host. (Bill Simmons I guess? Maybe Rose? Or they all just continue to take turns, ha.)

14. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

NBA countdown is nothing but 1 1/2 minute long teases for what would be a fantastic podcast or video roundtable discussion. All of the discussion points are so watered down with such short time slots, and extra long commercial breaks to make up any ad revenue they might miss during the games. NBA countdown is just a big tease.... which I guess is what they going for anyways.

15. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I don't like the taking turns thing. Simmons has the most experience in hosting a talk show with his podcasts, so he'd be the logical choice to take the lead on that.

16. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Agreed. I'd prefer a 1 hour show before the games where they can have more in-depth discussions. Its actually a pretty good crew of commentators they have there. Just need the right format to make it work.

17. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Magic and jalen suck in any format

18. Scionxa

Scionxa Contributing Member

I never really like Wilbon. I like this move. They still have nothing on TNT.

19. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Doug Collins is one of the absolute BEST game analysts in the business. He should do that full-time and stay off the set.

20. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

I don't mind Jalen at all, but Magic needs to go. He brings nothing to the table other than talking about the state of the Lakers, or LeBron James. Those are the only two things he cares about.