1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Schaub ranked #9 on Jaw's top 32 NFL QBs...

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by TheRealist137, Jul 14, 2013.

1. Grinds

Grinds Member

1. What makes you think EVERY GM disagrees?

2. Try to understand Schaub sucks (below par) on the big stage. (i.e. MNF, SNF, playoffs)

3. Try to understand Schaub can't make great passes or throw deep well.

2. Grinds

Grinds Member

Your own standards say 1 spot could be 3.

3. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

1. Okay, sorry...there might be one or two out there that dont rank Schaub in the top half of QBs. If that's true, then Im guessing it's one of the GMs on the teams that are perennial losers.

2. So you're letting the Patriots game and the Packers game cloud Schaub's entire body of work. Makes a lot of sense.

3. Cant make great passes, lol.

4. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Hard to argue with this in-depth analysis.

5. Grinds

Grinds Member

1. You responded to a post that said "name 15 QB's better". 16th best is technically Top Half. Schaub isn't a scrub, he damn sure isn't top 10.

2. Schaub has sucked always sucked on MNF. The Ravens game at Reliant specifically comes to mind. The Texans have never really faired well on national tv.
    3. You didn't comment on deep passes.. wonder why. But yes, can't make great throws. Can you picture Schaub doing a Eli-Manningham or the Tennahill-Wallace TD reception? I can't. Matt can make good intermediate throws though.

6. Grinds

Grinds Member

Lol. Just use the eye-test. When was last time you saw a Schaub throw and thought "great pass"?

7. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Second pass of the pre-season game against the Saints. 25 yard crossing route to AJ that had more zip than I was expecting.

Those passes seem routine...until you watch an inaccurate QB.

8. rezdawg

He has throws every game where I think he made a great pass.

A great pass doesnt necessarily need to consist of a 60 yard strike right into the arms of a receiver in the corner of the endzone.

9. Grinds

Grinds Member

Never said great throws have to be 60 yards. What you guys call "great" I prob call good. And there you go again exaggerating with "every". Schaub pretty much sucked the entire 2nd half of last season, didn't do anything SNF, yet you still typed those words. Okay man, Schaub is top 10.

10. Grinds

Grinds Member

Also regarding Schaub, doesn't anyone think our heavy use of playaction makes Schaub look even weaker? I mean damn, most of the time we're trying to fake people out. Cool sometimes, but Schaub is overly dependent on it. I rank him 16-18

11. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Matt's a great leader and desicion maker. But Grinds I will agree with your assessment, as I think Matt is more of a system guy.

I generally do think Keenum could be better in 3 years.

12. Nimo

Nimo Member

I once thought Rosenfels should be starting instead of Schaub. smh

13. Grinds

Grinds Member

Maane... I was just telling somebody this earlier today. "If Keenum already had just one somewhat successful season in the league, not even great, just above average... I'd take Keenum right now".

14. Grinds

Grinds Member

Might not win this season with 1 yr exp Keenum, but next year? Oh my!

15. rezdawg

Do you think it's Schaub calling the play action plays? How can he be overly dependent on it when he's running the play that is called for him?

And I've already stated that Schaub didnt have a good end to last season...but many people are letting those last 5-6 games cloud their assessment of Schaub. He's definitely not elite, but he's more than enough to win a Superbowl. Most Superbowl champions have relied more on their defense than on their QB to win.

#75 rezdawg, Aug 30, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2013
  16. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

It is frustrating to watch Matt sometimes, but he is good. The guy doesn't make many mistakes and he won't lose you games. I think he will have a 30 td 4ooo yard year this. I think his foot injury could have played a role last year.

I like Keenum because he is an impressive talent with the ball in his hands, more mobile than Matt, and doesn't stare receivers down like TJ. One thing Matt does really well that Keenum also does, is that he hides his eyes well. I believe our very own Ed reed said Schauby was the best in the league with his eyes.

17. Grinds

Grinds Member

18. meh

meh Contributing Member

Oddly enough, I do find that play actions make him look weaker, but probably not the same way Grinds intended it.

I have never seen a QB following play action have so much time and space to operate, yet still end the play with a throw out of bounds or a throw into coverage. And I think to myself that even a semi-mobile QB would've turned those into good if not great plays. The Texans, at least to my eyes which admittedly can be quite wrong, seem to have less success after a great play action fake than other good offenses around the NFL.

19. conquistador#11

smh at these posts. he has been one of the best play action passers according to analysts who break down film. i'm a pull a ubigred and say siiiigh

20. bobloblaw

bobloblaw Contributing Member

It's possible that some of the throw-aways last year were due to players actually being covered. I wouldn't expect much from any QB with Kevin Walters/Martin/Jean as receivers. I credit Schaub for destroying the Ravens/Broncos. He had 7 games with a Quarterback Rating of 100+ last year. Tom Brady had 9. I truly believe Schaub's Lisfranc injury hindered his performance last season. Although I am not a huge Schaub fan and regularly make fun of people with Schaub jerseys, I think he deserves a bit less venom from the fan base.