1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[AMC] Breaking Bad - Season 5

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by R0ckets03, Jun 2, 2012.

1. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

A lot of "oh crap" moments. I was a little fuzy on the details of the ricin, i.e. I couldn't remember why Walt had poisoned the kid, but I knew Jesse had realized Huel had lifted it.

2. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

Let us not forget that Jesse really came into his own the first half of the season. The magnet was his idea. He played a big role in the development of the portable meth lab. He's the one who comes up with the idea of robbing the train without killing anybody.

It wouldn't surprise me if Jesse ultimately comes up with a really good plan for taking Walt down.

3. MoonBus

MoonBus Contributing Member

Can not agree on this. Walt didn't become "greedy" until he realize he wasn't getting enough in return when Mike had to pay all those prisoners. He was content to have a 3 men team at the beginning. Saving Jesse happened way before that. Only way I see Walt killing Jesse is if Jesse kills his family.

No way Jesse helps Hank. It is similar to Uncle Tio not willing to help the DEA to finger Jesse & Walt.

4. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

I tend to agree. There are so many times he could have just let Jesse go, but instead always tried to bring him around. He enjoyed spending time with Jesse. To me Walt realized how much he cared about Jesse when he ran into Jane's dad at the bar. I don't think Walt or Jesse will kill the other, even though both seemed armed to kill the other.

5. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

yep. much better story line for Jesse to figure out his own plan, than Jesse Breaking Good to help the cops. The only angle involving Jesse and Hank fully cooperating is if Hank Breaks Bad to help the bad guess in ways that are illegal. Hank might come to Jesse's side. I don't see it working the other way around.

6. mylilpony

mylilpony Member

I'm fuzzy as to how the ricin missing gave Walt away. I thought Walt used the plant in his backyard to poison Brock.

7. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

Been answered a few times, here's one...

8. Rox11

Rox11 Member

Lol if one more person asks about the ricen...

9. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Put me in the camp who believe that the epiphany Jessie had was a little too convenient.

10. Miguel

Miguel Contributing Member

He was already suspicious of Walt based on the blowup earlier in the desert saying Walt does things to save himself. I'm sure he's been playing everything that's happened in his mind and trying to link Walt to it already. I think Jesse initially suspected Huell of lifting the cigarette in the first place, but got talked out of it by Walt.

Having the same thing happen again retriggers those recent thoughts, and well, it's believable as I can remember a few times I've had point A to B to C to D to E connections pretty much instantly, because everything is already mentally pieced together except that one missing piece.

The two missing pieces in the puzzle were Walt's motives, and confirming Huell lifted the cig in the first place.

11. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

You also have to remember that the time frame for the story isn't as long as the time frame of the seasons. The series is going to cover a 6-year period, yet the actual story time frame is going to be right at 2 years, if I'm not mistaken.

So, how long has it been since Brock was poisoned and this revelation? The end of season 4, and now for us it's 2 years later- whereas for Jessie, it's only a few months. That's not very long, and I can certainly remember things much easier from this year as opposed to 2 years ago.

12. DonkeyMagic

Supporting Member

Agree. There was plenty of build up with Jesse not trusting Walt and doubting everything.

13. Rox11

Rox11 Member

Yea i don't understand how anyone didn't think that would happen. I already knew Jessies was not going to leave town because there were loose ends and he is also a main character so they weren't going to wrap up his story like this.
    As said before in the story's timeline this has all happened just a few months apart so its very fresh in Jessies mind.

14. DonkeyMagic

Supporting Member

just think how pissed Jesse will be if he finds out Walt let Jane die

15. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Welcome to the club.

16. mrm32

mrm32 Member

I want to think Walt will tell him in a confrontation where Jesse is calling him out about everything and then Heisenberg will boast how he saved Jesse from Jane or something like that.

17. Phreak3

Phreak3 Contributing Member

I think she's in charge of the whole operation now, and will eventually try to force Walt back into the lab to get the quality up. That's when people will start dying.

18. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Keep in mind that all these suspicions he had of Walt were stewing inside him for some time. And his initial theory on the missing ricin was that it was taken from him in Saul's office, so its not like he put that all together right when he was waiting for his ride.

19. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

20. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

some comments...

Can anyone explain to me why they've made the ricin this huge deal in the series?

I'm a little fuzzy as to how exactly they made it, but I don't recall it involved stealing anything (or anything meaningful), access to anything they couldn't ultimately find, etc.

I mean I understand how Walt used it/its absence to manipulate Jesse, and I kind of get how Jesse is coming around to that fact based on know realizing that it wasn't Gus who stole the ricin but Walt/Huel - though it is convenient. Even with Walt being super smart, Jesse has somehow come to the conclusion in a eureka moment that Walt planned for Brock to get sick by virtue of some flower only to have Jesse think it was ricin, and then to steal the ricin from Jesse only to have Jesse think it was Gus... etc. A little bit of a stretch.. not much, knowing Walt and how smart he is... but Brock could have also legitimately just poisoned himself, no?

But even that aside, why does the ricin remain a big deal for Walt? He has to come back to his house to get it out of a wall, etc.? Why not just make more?

Also, kind of random, but Walt didn't mention Jesse at all in his lied confession. This keeps his options open. Even if Jesse works with Hank... so, it will still be Hank's story vs. Walt's story. Cause Walt can just claim Jesse is Hank's "partner". After all, they do have that special relationship, where one could easily see Hank beating up Jesse/his partner because of some kind of dispute. Alternatively, since Jesse isn't mentioned at all, it keeps open the possibility that Jesse doesn't have to be involved. In other words, Walt continues to protect Jesse in the confession, while also protecting his interests.

I think the torment in Jesse is a little forced. I get it is part of his character. "Breaking Good" Jesse, as opposed to "Breaking Bad" Walt. And he's an emotional kid. But even with that, even if Jesse had the epiphany he had... he really IS better off just leaving town and starting fresh. But he acts so well, it's easy to overlook.

Also, while nowhere near in the same stratosphere, the complete non-mention of Marie's cleptomania problem is either a failure to come full circle on something, or something to be addressed later.

All of these characters are "bad" and "flawed" in various ways, just some more than others. Walk way more. Jesse killed a dude directly. Marie is a clepto. Hank has stepped over the boundaries of the law. Skyler was both a slut, and now is abetting Walt. Saul. Etc. etc.

And Todd is increasingly awesome. He's certainly bad, but so upfront about it. He's just bad... not some kind of twisted bad while trying to be good to something. Heck, I don't think he is greedy bad. Sure, probably money motivated to an extent, but you just feel like he is kind of a psychotic bad dude. Which for some reason is refreshing. No agendas or anything.