1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

I wanna make a movie

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by SexyButIgnorant, Aug 26, 2013.

1. SexyButIgnorant

I'm a freelance writer (although I'm mostly dedicated to ghost writing lately) and have always considered the idea of writing and making a movie. But I've always convinced myself not to, just cause I'm sure no one would see it and it would be a giant waste of time.

But then, oddly enough, I was watching some Kevin Smith QnA on Netflix and he spoke about the need to do a passion project just to do it. To ask "Why Not?" instead of "Why?". Somehow, Kevin Smith motivated me. So I don't care if anyone sees the film, if it's never spoken of after i'm done with it, but I wanna do it just to be able to say "Hey, I got some friends together, I went for a dream, made it and i'm happy with it".

So I was wondering if anyone here has experience with any sort of film making? I don't have any, I've just written some skits in high school lol. Any advice? What cameras to invest in? Techniquez? I don't know.

2. Caltex2

Caltex2 Member

In before the various jokes about making an adult film.

3. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

Invest in a casting couch.

4. Beavis Stiffler

A comedy about the people or posters of the Clutchfans BBS Forum.

5. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

I would like to audition for the part of moestavern19... in the voice of Lt. Cl. Nathaniel R. Jessup, Commander Armed Forces, Guantanamo Bay, Cuba... I'll COLD READ "THE POST" to amfootball. :eek: Or a response to this:
    [​IMG]

6. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

A sexy but ignorant movie?

7. JuLiO-R-

JuLiO-R- Contributing Member

I'm a filmmaker. I've done several short films. I know about being a producer, writer, director, cinematographer, etc. Don't look at your experience as a waste of time. Seeing your project come to life is such an awesome experience, and people will see your movie! There are tons of ways to get your film out there to the public.

8. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

Can I be in the movie? I took improv class in highschool and was in a couple of school plays in middle school.

9. SexyButIgnorant

I always hear "send them into festivals", I just don't know what the hell that means lol.

Do you know of any quality starting cameras that won't break the bank?

10. JuLiO-R-

It basically means that you submit your film into festivals hoping that they accept it. Some are free some are not, but it's a big deal to be accepted into anything. The festival will then screen this film to movie fans, and professionals in the film industry. You could even win awards. It basically becomes a great way for you to network with other filmmakers throughout the country. It gives you exposure, and if the right eyes see your film... you could even have film distributors calling about your film. There are tons of filmmakers out there who started out in the film festival circuit, and are now directing major Hollywood films.

As for a camera, there are a lot of independent filmmakers out there who shoot on Canon DSLRs, but unless you plan on shooting it yourself I wouldn't recommend buying one.

You should first try to figure out what you want to make. Do you want a full length feature film? What genre? Do you already have a story you want to tell? Get your story down first. Write your script and go from there.

11. dragician

dragician Member

aka short p*rn.

12. SexyButIgnorant

I imagine a quick google search of these festivals will gimme a good list to send to?

And I'm more than likely gonna go full length. Story and genre I have not even thought of yet. But yeah, I'll start with the script soon. How many pages is a good length for a script?

13. Yonkers

Yonkers Contributing Member

Study this movie over and over.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  14. JuLiO-R-

Full-length films can be anywhere from 90-120 pages. Could be more, could be less. If you need help with the script format, celtx.com is pretty good program. I use it myself. They have a free version and you can download it to your desktop or use it on their cloud system similar to Google docs.

Now I'm just assuming you're from Houston, but you can checkout http://www.houstonfilmcommission.com for a bunch of good resources on getting your film made. They even have a list of local Texas film festivals.

15. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

The rough translation is 1 page = 1 minute of screentime. That is very general though.

If this is what you want to do, it is very very important that you write a story that takes place in 1 location. This is very very very important. It is the only possible way you can make something that is feature length for any kind of affordable budget that is decent. How much are you willing to put into the film? Do you have friend who know how to shoot or run sound that will work for free?

Also, read a book. Everything you could want to know is there.

You are better off getting a DSLR that shoots video. The 5D is excellent. The 7D is more affordable. The T3i is decent and cheap. The sensor size is a lot smaller though so you can't take advantage of how wide the lens you are using is.

16. ILoveWhiteGirls

I'd stick to this advice. Oh and a would u like to share some of the stuff that you write? Also what is your favorite film?

17. thisiscaketown

Write the story first, then worry about the script later.

18. Spooner

Spooner Member

I have a ton of experience scoring for films if you need any advice in that area.

19. Nero

Nero Member

I will throw my hat in to help in some way. Just as long as it not a Sprite film about a bunch of break-dancers throwing green and yellow paint on each other and then congratulating themselves..

20. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Now that I think about it, I'm a freelance writer, too. I have about 32,286 works to my name. :eek:
    <iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Eoj5ABE2pUs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

"... I played Hamlet at Cambridge!"

:grin: Classic.