1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets vs Celtics--1975 playoffs

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by the shark, Aug 23, 2013.

1. the shark

the shark Member

Was wondering if anyone else remembers this playoff series against the Celtics in '75. Specifically the gm 4 incident.

Recap.
    The Rockets lost the first two gms of the series at Boston.
    We came back and won gm three @ Hofheinz. Yes Hofheinz. We use to play our home gms there and this was the last season to do so as the Summit opened the following yr.

Gm 4 @ Hofheinz. It was a close gm going down to the wire. I think it was Murphy who drove the lane and put up a shot and missed, but Kevin Kunnert got the rebound and put it back in. The crowd exploded!!! It was so loud you couldn't even hear yourself think. All of a sudden one of the refs is waiving the bucket off. Saying that Kunnert went over the back of someone.

That's when the **** hit the fan!!!!

The crowd went crazy. Everyone was throwing crap onto the court, cups, pens, ice, popcorn containers, radios, batteries, you name it, it was thrown on the court. There was SO much **** being thrown on the court that it looked like it was raining. And it kept coming and coming and coming. The players (both Rockets & Celtics) as well as the refs ran into the tunnel as they were getting hit with all of this crap.

The crowd kept yelling BULL S&$$....BULL S&$$....BULL S&$$!!!!!

This went on for like 10-15 minutes. Once it stopped it took about 25-30 minutes to clean the court. When the refs came back on to the court the entire crowd at Hofheinz started booing them. When I say booing them, once again it was SO loud you couldn't even hear yourself think. My dad (who took me to the gm) was right next to me trying to tell me something, and I couldn't hear a word he was saying to me.

Rockets wound up losing 117-122, but that BS call changed the direction of the entire gm (and series). I can't remember if that basket put the Rockets ahead or tied it up. It was a horrible call by the way.

Anyone else remember this?

3 people like this.
  2. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Wow, I've never even heard that story before. Thanks for sharing it.

3. Johndoe804

Johndoe804 Member

Wish we could see video of this. Now-a-days that would be national news.

4. the shark

the shark Member

I've looked numerous times on YouTube and haven't found any footage of this.

5. elindio23

elindio23 Member

6. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

I went to game three of that series, but didn't go to game four. I don't remember the incident. I do remember a number of games in the early days when debris would be thrown on the court. A lot of stuff went on that we don't see anymore. Players would fight on a regular basis with punches being thrown.

I once saw a fan come onto the court and attack Dave Cowens by kicking him in the shin after Cowens had gotten a little rough with Calvin Murphy. It did not end well for the fan as the entire Boston team proceeded to pummel the poor guy. Today's NBA is rather tame.

#6 Rip Van Rocket, Aug 23, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2013
  7. arjun

arjun Member

i would LOVE to watch the film on this.

come on NBA...they have to have a copy.

someone write a letter.

8. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

wow, this is way back in the day. what kind of music did they play during break? Earth Wind and Fire?

9. mr2evolution

mr2evolution Member

Mozart played live during the intermissions!

Haha jk, must have been awesome to be there.

10. RocketFire

RocketFire Member

Apparently people didn't know how to count back in the day. Rockets shot 21-25 freethrows and not 21-29.

11. RocketFire

RocketFire Member

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/b43vk8dhbu4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

???

12. Rudy_T's_CSF

Rudy_T's_CSF Member

what's up with the creepy zoom-in at the end?

13. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Trying to find some info on this game, I, instead came across this funkadelic masterpiece dedicated to Calvin Murphy.... the pic in the vid includes Kobe's dad :

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/tFnSypI4TiA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

14. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

wow great story pimpn..I was only 1 at that time. But dang they were screwing us for ages.