1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

mar1juana: Drug, Medical, Legal

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by chrispbrown, Aug 17, 2013.

1. likestohypeguy

I'm not saying I'm NOT constantly smoking drugs, but at the end of the day I am still against legalization. I'm looking at the bigger picture here- good of society, imperative the "go getters" go out & get it, not having to look at an army of doped out zombies buying cupcakes while in krogers etc. >>>>>>>> convenience/freedom, cancer/glaucoma, personal freedoms, misused jail cells etc. jmo

2. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

Don't get sucked into the leftist notion of debating the merits of mar1juana and imposing that judgement on all of us via force of state. They want to do that for all human activity.

Legalize mar1juana because individuals should be able to decide for themselves what value it has.

3. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

This is hilarious. You know damn well that a large portion of the religious right that votes overwhelmingly republican takes a hard line stance against drugs and thinks they are tools of the devil. Are those the people that are buying into the "leftist notions"?

4. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

yes

statist is perhaps a better description

5. Brandyon

Brandyon Member

The difficulty with legalize mar1juana in many states goes well beyond the moral aspect politically. They are easy convictions to get, and there are tons of users out there. Prisons are big business, and while some states have begun trying to limit private prisons, companies like the CCA & GEO are constantly lobbying to keep mar1juana illegal for no reason other than maintaining a 90% minimum occupancy in their prisons. All to justify building more prisons. Morality is typically an easier sell, so it makes a good front.

Just another example of privatization of a public service leading to said service being abused for profitability, while stripping the services of any intended morality, justice, liberty, etc.

6. txppratt

txppratt Contributing Member

make it legal in vegas, atlantic city, etc... tourism will pick up. really it's no worse than drinking alcohol.

7. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Contributing Member

From a business perspective, it is a substitute. It isn't that being high precludes the possibility of drinking or smoking tobacco, it is that there exists the possibility that someone high might drink less as they are already inebriated.

I agree with you, but see the perspective of the tobacco/alcohol manufacturing companies.

8. GladiatoRowdy

In the real world, only a small percentage of those who use cocaine get hooked on it. However, there are some people who it grabs and just doesn't let go easily. It is all about the specific body chemistry of the user.

9. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Like I said before
    I have little issue with it
    BUT
    I don't want people smoking and driving
    I don't want people smoking and operating heavy equipment
    I would PREFER they not smoke on the job and during lunch [esp Doctors etc]
    Etc.

How about this . . . .
    Legalize it . . .but if you get a DUI - it is Auto Prison time or HEAVY FINE
    [Heavier than it is right now for Alcohol . . and yes that means UPPING THE ANTE ON ALCOHOL TOO!!]

Rocket River

10. GladiatoRowdy

Yes, we already have laws on the books for DUI and it doesn't matter on what you are intoxicated, those laws should apply. I'm OK with more punitive DUI laws, but that's because my brother was killed by a drunk driver, I'm biased in this instance.

11. bongman

bongman Member

I really can't see it. Just like car manufacturers dont care about motorcycle manufacturers. Although they are both vehicles, they compete in a different market.

They are not substitutes because all these form of drugs have different effects on your body. You cannot use MJ to get drunk or get your nicotine fix.

12. val_modus

val_modus Member

If somebody can logically explain to me why Maijuana is still listed as a Schedule 1 Controlled Substance I will end any support I have for it and immediately start lobbying against it along with the alcohol, tobacco, and prison companies.

13. GladiatoRowdy

Tell that to an alcohol distributor who wants to sell as much alcohol as possible. They have a vested interest in making sure that other psychoactive substances are illegal so that fewer people will use them on a regular basis and if the general public knew the facts about the relative health effects, they would choose mar1juana over alcohol in droves.

I tend to agree with you regarding the tobacco distributors, they already have the infrastructure in place to manufacture smokable plant matter, I suspect most of them have plans in place already for the day when mar1juana becomes legal. In fact, one of the more popular products in the Netherlands is a blend of mar1juana and tobacco, which would make for a much more addictive product than mar1juana with far more psychoactive properties than tobacco.

14. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

The ticket for DUI on weed is usually for going under the minimum speed limit.

15. GladiatoRowdy

"If you get in an accident and you've been smoking pot, at least you're only going four f***ing miles and hour."

-Bill Hicks (one of the funniest men ever)

16. GanjaRocket

GanjaRocket Member

Yea man gotta keep up the appearance of society first and foremost. Jesus is watching

17. mr. 13 in 33

mr. 13 in 33 Member

Michael Beasley got waived from the Suns cause of the weed so im guessing if it was legal he'd still be with Phoenix?