1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How to check if a car you are buying off craiglist wont break down

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by IPSAC, Aug 18, 2013.

1. IPSAC

IPSAC Member

Any car savys here can give me, tips on checking a car before buying to see if your getting ripped off?

I heard many stories where after hours of buying a car on craiglist, the car breaks down.

2. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

Probably have your mechanico check out the car first.

3. Chopped

Chopped Member

4. GanjaRocket

GanjaRocket Member

Took my Honda to the Honda shop before..

Pre purchase inspection is about $100-200 but worth it

5. Yonkers

Yonkers Contributing Member

PPI definitely. I bought my car on Ebay. It was in Orlando and I am in Houston. I had the seller take the car to a dealership of my choice and I paid the dealer to do a PPI for me. Then I flew out there and did a road trip home. Was pretty awesome.

6. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

There is a little box you can check next to 'has picture' -- just click 'will it break down' and hit search.

1 person likes this.
  7. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You can check the VIN on Carfax also to see what the car's history is.

8. el gnomo

el gnomo Member

Craigslist - a place to buy hookers and cars. That Ferrari's not gonna show up at your door, brah.

(BTW, almost certain this is roll bread)

9. el gnomo

el gnomo Member

YOU of all people should know this.

10. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

That's just wrech history.

11. Ericstocracy

Ericstocracy Member

Best way of knowing the reliability of the vehicle is purchasing one with all of the maintenance documents.

If not available, I would do a compression test to see how much life is remaining within the cylinders. I would then run an OBDII scanner to see if it isn't throwing any codes. I would also put it on a lift to check underneath. You can tell a lot about a vehicle from beneath the car. Oil leaks, deteriorating bushings, frame damage, rust issues.

I would also not have the seller start the vehicle pryer to showing up. You start it from a cold start to see how it really runs. Warm engines can hide a multitude of issues that are more prevalent when cold. The test drive is also very important. You must do highway speeds. Hard accelerations and decelerations. If somethings wrong it will pop up under those extreme loads.

12. Jontro

Jontro Member

My best advice is to not buy a car from CL.

1 person likes this.
  13. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Just dont pay in full if the craiglist pic shows a BMW M3 but the guy drives into your driveway in a a beat up Subaru.

14. Scionxa

Scionxa Contributing Member

Subaru's are awesome :) **** my username.

15. Ericstocracy

Ericstocracy Member

And another point I failed to mention is do your research on the car you are wanting to purchase.

If you're looking for something specific know all about it, so that once you're searching and looking at vehicles you know what you're looking at and what to look out for. You can find an online forum for every car and within each you'll most assuredly fine information on what to look out for in purchasing said vehicle. You can then read through the BS that the seller is trying to be convincing about and ask the hard nosed questions.

If you then find a vehicle that meets most of your requirements and has some undesirables, such as minor maintenance, you can then really haggle the price down and save yourself a ton. With that savings you can repair any necessaries and then do a rather good tune-up for future reliability and cost prevention measures.

16. cheke64

cheke64 Member

just get a craigslist mechanic to check it. Then convince the nigerian prince that has botloads of money to pay for it. then convince the hooker to pick it up. If all fails you will remain clean of this cluster****.

1 person likes this.
  17. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Why are you worried?

You will ride it even if its broken.

18. Rodman23

Rodman23 .GIF

check if there's raccoons living in the backseat. if there is then the car is a steal.

19. dback816

dback816 Member

How about you don't buy a car from craiglist....

Furniture, electronics, even kitchenware...fine...a car? Think about your safety man

20. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

you quoting and responding to yourself on purpose, brah?