1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

mar1juana: Drug, Medical, Legal

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by chrispbrown, Aug 17, 2013.

1. chrispbrown

chrispbrown Member

I recently visited a friend in Denver and as you know the state of Colorado is at the front of mar1juana change in the united states. I have smoke weed before and I don't see it as a terrible thing, but I will never be one to go out and push for mar1juana legality or whatever.

To be honest though it was kind of a "shock" to see these clinics just in plain view! My friend lives in a nice neighborhood and his house is right next to a facility. All of these places are clean and not really shady, but it was crazy to see the different types of people going in and out of them. First person I saw was an old man, probably 75. He came out with a grocery bag haha.

While I do believe there is some medical application in consumed or vaporized, not smoked, mar1juana, I still think the medical "image" is a little silly.

This is a great article by Dr. Sanjay Gupta:

http://www.cnn.com/2013/08/08/health/gupta-changed-mind-mar1juana

So where does everyone stand on mar1juana?

2. Northside Storm

Northside Storm Contributing Member

legalize.

From an economic and moral point of view, it just makes sense.

Holder's recent acknowledgement of how f**ked up the judicial system was with regards to minor drug crimes is probably going to be a shiny spotlight after a series of DOJ clusterf**ks. The fact the Obama Admin. has been selective, again, with their interpretation of law is puzzling, but maybe Obama will "evolve" again.

DOMA Section 3 could be invalidated, so could sections of the Controlled Substances Act.

3. chrispbrown

chrispbrown Member

I agree to legalize, but the problem in our country is the moral aspect.

These things, drugs, gambling, prostitution, all have stigmas that we have a problem justifying and by legalizing we are apparently accepting it.

Could you explain the Obama selective interpretation? I am in the dark on that.

4. Kojirou

Kojirou Member

Ambivalent, leaning towards no. If I got the impression from mar1juana advocates that this was only about mar1juana, I'd probably go yes, but mar1juana's advocates have done everything in their power to disabuse me of that notion. To me, this isn't about mar1juana. This is about people wanting to legalize other ****, but they can't just go ahead and blare that they want to legalize cocaine and stuff, so they dance around mar1juana first to set a precedent to make the second step easier.

There are right reasons to legalize mar1juana. But there are very, very wrong reasons to legalize it as well, and I'm not willing to legalize mar1juana if those are the reasons we're legalizing it.

5. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Legalize, no question.

6. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

They really need to set the laws in place to legalize it
    and the consequences of abuse

I think it should be regulated like Alcohol
    but once legal will the call of . .. IF THEY CAN GO TO WAR THEY SHOULD BE ABLE TO SMOKE A BLUNT be in effect?

Rocket River

7. chrispbrown

chrispbrown Member

I agree in some sense. I would be naive to say the medical use isn't abused, but are you of the belief that it is impossible to have some benefit?

I do not see eye to eye with you about legalizing other drugs as the true motive, but that is not doubt something to be concerned about and no way do I want cocaine, heroine, ect legalized. Could you expand on some of the reason not to legalize?

I think the financial benefit, putting somewhat of a dent in legal costs and jail occupation, and cartel business out weight the negative effects that I can think of. That being said I am open to hear your negative effects.

8. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

I need more information on this.

Does this reduce ambition in people? Anecdotally, many of the regular pot smokers I have known over the years became lazy and lethargic, leading to underperformance in the workplace and just "not giving a schit".

9. Northside Storm

The Obama Administration chose not to defend DOMA Section 3 while it was on the books due to the mere belief that it was unconstitutional, now they are waffling and trying to hit as hard as possible with the CSA. Really has to do more with personal views of the Admin. imo, and if Obama "evolves" like he did with same-sex (a great thing), then hopefully the interpretation and enforcement of the law will be changed (while moving on towards amending it).

10. Northside Storm

if that was the criteria for a criminal offense, there's a whole host of things that would be criminal, including certain classes of jobs.

Anyways, drug use might be a good sign for how intelligent your workforce is.

[​IMG]

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog.../201010/why-intelligent-people-use-more-drugs

inb4 top 1 drug user job creator Apple P Jobs, and DNA discoverer CRICK

http://www.cracked.com/article_16532_the-5-greatest-things-ever-accomplished-while-high.html

11. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Legalize and tax the hell out of it.

12. chrispbrown

chrispbrown Member

No doubt that is a negative effect of mar1juana, but the same could be said for alcohol. I think that the people that would choose to use mar1juana in that fashion are already buying mar1juana so might as well tax them for it. On top of that legalizing probably will not take a non user and make them a lethargic under performer.

13. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

also, what's the verdict on gateway or not?

14. chrispbrown

chrispbrown Member

To add to what I said above a night of drinking vs a night of smoking weed are entirely different. You could get high out of your mind and EASILY go to work the next day and be productive. The same could not be said about alcohol.

While I think the alcohol vs mar1juana arguement is valid, it is weak and can not be used just because of the perception, which is unfortunate. We are able to "accept" alcoholism as a negative effect of drinking, but not the lazy super stoner, which I think is a little logically inconsistent.

15. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

That theory has been debunked.

It just happens that a lot of weed dealers have pills, coke, mollies, etc.

They'll push that on their "clients". It's all about self-control. There's no evidence that proves sceintifically that smoking bud will make one want to venture out to other drugs. It surely doesn't happen in the Netherlands.

The Union: The Business Behind Getting High

It's on Netflix. It'll open your eyes.

#15 sammy, Aug 17, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2013
  16. chrispbrown

chrispbrown Member

Great question.

I believe that mar1juana does not make you want to try other drugs, but I think that it is the first drug people do. Does that make it a gateway? I have to say yes if your definition is what was the starting point, but no if it subconsciously makes you want to try other drugs.

17. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

I tried alcohol and cigs way before weed. Not sure why it gets the gateway label.

18. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

This...

19. Kojirou

Kojirou Member

I think mar1juana is a gateway in a sense, but much of that is the fault of our drug education program. Current drug education emphasizes that mar1juana will kill you or something, and so when college kids take it and find out that it's not that bad, a lot of them will immediately think "Well, those guys in drug education must have been lying to me altogether! Surely cocaine and meth isn't all that bad then!"

Not so much a reason not to legalize, but I utterly reject the "Who cares if it's dangerous or not, it's my body" argument. That's the key issue for me. If we're legalizing mar1juana because it's not that dangerous, or because our system of punishment is not the right system, those are the argument I can understand. I won't accept legalizing mar1juana if we're using the libertarian argument.

20. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/WqWxys3P_nI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>