1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Credit Unions

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by gambingo, Sep 8, 2012.

Tags:
  1. gambingo

gambingo Member

I'm thinking of switching from Wells Fargo to a Credit Union. Anyone banking with a Credit Union? I would love to hear what you guys have to say about them.

2. jdh008

jdh008 Member

I've been with a credit union since I was a teenager. My parents banked there and they signed me up for my first account when I got my first job.

Overall, I've had a pretty positive experience. At my CU (Smart Financial Credit Union), they don't nickel and dime you with fees and considering it's a CU, branches are pretty widespread in the Houston area.

I will say, though, that I'm currently looking to switch to a national bank. A few months ago, I had some fraudulent activity on my account. I reported it almost immediately and yet it took almost two months for them to put the money back into my account. I had to call them several times just to get them to email me the form I had to fill out and I ended up having to fax them that form three or four times once I filled it out because they kept saying they hadn't received it. Because fraud has been so common with my CU's debit cards lately, I also can't run my debit card as credit. I have to enter a pin or not use it at all, which means when I go to a place like a restaurant, I have to make sure I have cash on me. I guess that lack of urgency and lack of sophisticated security system is the downside to a local credit union.

3. tested911

tested911 Member

I am looking to switch from Chase / Wamu (Had for a long time) to a CU which offers points for every purchase w/ your check card.. Does anybody know which CU offers the point system on the check card?

4. BetterThanI

BetterThanI Contributing Member

Switched from Wells Fargo to RBFCU earlier this year. I was pretty happy with WF before I switched, but the level of service and personal attention I've received at every RBFCU branch I've visited is far beyond anything received at any bank I've ever done business with. Plus, they gave me a killer rate on a car loan. Only downside I've encountered is the limited number of branches and ATMs in town and, especially, when traveling.

5. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

^ Apart from the RBFCU listed above, are there any other Credit Unions you all would be willing to recommend?

Also any idea how it works if one joins a CU in one city and in some months moves to a different city/state- what would the person do re.ATM use and fees as well as in person deposits?

Thanks

6. smr6

smr6 Member

Where I work, people who have CU's get their direct deposit paychecks one day earlier than normal banks.

7. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

I believe many CU's are in a system which allows you to make deposits and ATM transactions at those member CU's branches and ATMs w/o fees. They do it for that exact reason...people that move. They don't want to lose customers since most CU's are regional.

I'm a member of A+ FCU in Austin and I'd highly recommend them to anyone living in Central Texas.

1 person likes this.
  8. Scionxa

Scionxa Contributing Member

In Austin, I recommend Capital Credit Union. Had them while I lived there. Seems like Austin has a ton of credit unions too

1 person likes this.
  9. H-TownBBall

H-TownBBall Member

Yep for example my credit union is in this network:

http://www.co-opsharedbranch.org/

Branches all over the place. You just walk in and fill out a shared branch deposit slip instead of the regular. My credit union is in Illinois, and I have never seen it before.

1 person likes this.
  10. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

I've been a member of Shell Federal Credit Union for several years now. I use them to supplement my regular checking/savings with BOA. The bulk of my money eventually ends up with them and I don't have one complaint. They've always been EXTREMELY helpful and offer several services like money orders and such for free. They also have decent rates on various loans. Granted, I haven't borrowed them from them yet.

Anytime I make a large cash transaction I use my accounts with them.

1 person likes this.
  11. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

Also a member of Shell Federal CU, long before they allowed the general public to open accounts. Have always been very satisfied.

1 person likes this.
  12. tharges

tharges Member

Fccu.org

1 person likes this.
  13. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

Thanks y'all

14. Turbo

Turbo Contributing Member

For those credit union members, what do you think of their online banking offerings?

15. Dgn1

Dgn1 Member

I bank with chase but have a savings account with JSC federal credit union. I use them for certain loans like used car purchase or for toy money in general. Much easier and professional arrangement with loans then bank.

16. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

I have banked with a credit union exclusively for close to 20 years (I had a little gap where I had to go to a bank - long story). Hell, I even worked for a credit union for over 2 years. Banks cannot beat credit union's rates when it comes to loans or savings rates. And the level of customer service is usually better too. If you can get into a credit union, you need to do it.