1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Three-strikes policy: Egypt military fires AGAIN on unarmed civilians and now reporters.

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Northside Storm, Aug 14, 2013.

1. AMS

AMS Member

This is pathetic and simply sad.

The fact that the typical Islamophobes ignore the atrocities is as expected and has been noted.

2. da1

da1 Member

Once you let someone into a house, hard to get them out. Basically that's what happened here. Originally, the military should've held power longer until more politican parties were made, that actually represented the people. Muslim brotherhood was established so they won the elections by default, but majority of the (not as vocal) population did not want them in power. Their people are vocal and trying to hold on to power because they know once it's gone they are back to nothing status like they were under Mubarak.

2 people like this.
  3. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

El Baradei stepped down. Looks like the military really went way too far. Unfortunately, aside from being terrible, this will only help the MB.

4. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

Sadly that's the point. MB will be helped because of this. I think one of the reasons they won the initial election is because the pendulum swung their way after they had been oppressed for so long.

There will always be sympathy and support for the people oppressed or brutalized.

5. Kojirou

Kojirou Member

MB won the initial election because the opposition was split up into multiple parties. They then decided that since they won the election, that meant that they were the dictators of Egypt and could do whatever they liked, and the result led to this.

Ultimately, I have no problems with the coup, and while the shooting is tragic, the MB needs to be stamped through whatever means necessary. I've said this before. Democracy is not an end-all be-all good. It is only good insofar as it provides good government. And the Muslim Brotherhood has shown themselves to be completely and totally incompetent at that, not to mention what they were trying to pull after they won the election.

6. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Member

All this makes me sad because of how predictable everything has been, and yet still inevitable.

1 person likes this.
  7. dmc89

dmc89 Member

I don't agree with the views of the side being oppressed in this crisis, but I still mourn the loss of human life - especially when the large number here could have been avoided.

For the past 2 weeks, several organizations had said the crackdown was imminent. The interim government was grossly incompetent here. Like someone in charge of getting rid of a wasp nest with people all around, you don't just whack the thing. Letting it fall to the ground without any planning in advance, knowing the people underneath will get stung... it is very frustrating. Christian homes and churches should have been protected along with those of the residents in the area around Rabaa. Political ramifications should have been considered. The MB won here.

Furthermore, the sit-ins could have been dispersed peacefully with "reasonable losses that people will accept to overcome the political crises." The military chose the way of violence. Not only did they kill, they did it in such a careless manner that the MB will rally together and gain sympathy around so many dead. Yes they threw stones, but they were largely peaceful. Worst of all, the instability has gone several notches higher. The selection of 19 of 25 provincial governors from the military doesn't help either.

A lot more dead and misery to come. :mad:

8. Ari

Ari Member

El Baradie, the Egyptian Nobel Peace Prize winner and noted liberal leading figure in Egypt, quit the military-run government saying that "peaceful means" were very much still an option and mediations were still ongoing, and that Al-Sisi was being begged by Western leaders to NOT crack down on the MB sit-ins as to not either garner sympathy for them or further radicalize them into armed resistance and pushing the entire country into the Syrian scenario. Per El Baradie and other news correspondents who confirmed this, he went in to have a conversation with General Al-Sisi and when he told Al-Sisi that the MB accepted the key points in an initiative in exchange for release of some opposition figures, Al-Sisi coldly stared him down and said, "this conversation is over!!"

After what Al-Sisi had to say about Obama and the American administration a couple of weeks back, and given his treatment for El Baradie after using him basically to give a civilian face to what otherwise was a military coup (which is clear now beyond a shadow of doubt)....I would say Al-Sisi is a madman to be feared and should be resisted or at least checked by the EU/USA/NATO as a potential adversary in the region.

Egypt is no small potatoes, it's the single biggest state in perhaps the most strategically crucial part of the world in control of the Suez Canal and bordering the most important waterways in the world where most of the world's fuel is shipped. Not to mention it's the recipient of U.S. military aid in excess of $1.3 billion a year since 1981 or something like that, and it has top-grade U.S. war machinery at its disposal and a crucial peace agreement with Israel which has been shaky the last couple of years given how out of control the Sinai has been. Oh, and I did mention Egypt has the single largest army in the region in terms of sheer numbers/equipment/artillery and the rest? If put to the wrong use, under the wrong leadership or someone who fancies himself another Nasser pan-Arabist, it could mean serious headaches for us and our allies in the region.

9. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

I wonder if there was any chance of the military letting the Brotherhood stay in power since Sadat; will the Brotherhood grow and militarize to point that it's a civil war?

10. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

So it looks like the Muslim Brotherhood has burned down 18 churches since yesterday. It has also stormed, burned and vandalized government offices. Violence is coming from both sides.

But the most encouraging (and moving) image I have seen is this one:

[​IMG]

Muslims protecting a Coptic church from Islamists who want to burn it, by building a peaceful human wall around the church.

I wish everyone was like these Muslims.

11. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Member

What a great picture. Beautiful church by the way.

12. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Sadly, after reading some more articles, I found out that the Muslim Brotherhood has burned it down. That picture was 1 week old.

[​IMG]

13. bobmarley

bobmarley Member

link

43 police officers were killed in the violence. There is video of MB shooting at police when they came with bulldozers. There is also a lot of tweets that show attacks were not against unarmed peaceful protesters.

I wonder if Obama and Kerry's comments against the violence were spurned on by the fact that CAIR's American Leander's brother was killed during the protests.

And the attacks against Christians in Egypt by the MB are well documented since the coup.

14. Northside Storm

Abdominable.

With that said, with the latest events, I expect not even the MB can keep their members from doing stupid things. Their leaders have lost everything---most are jailed. Six or seven have lost sons and daughters in the latest series of events...it is hard to see how both sides could be reconciled, if they could at all. It's hard to see too the rationale behind the latest events, unless the point is to spark more violence.

15. Northside Storm

You're taking the Syria line of this (Syria was celebrating the security officers as martyrs as well.)

Nothing for the 500+ other deaths?

Women and children burned alive in tents?

Snipers aiming at civilians with metal cafeteria trays as shields? Snipers aiming at reporters?

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/egypt-hundreds-slaughtered-army-including-2167605

Even if the protesters were armed, as the Interior Ministry claimed (and of course they're credible), there were about an infinite number of ways to better handle it then to bring bulldozers, set tents on fire, and assign snipers to fire at the crowd!

16. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

What do you mean, "not even"? As if the Muslim Brotherhood is otherwise a haven of rationality?

The Copts aren't even the military.

They aren't attacking or shooting anyone.

Yet, more than 40 churches in Egypt have been burned by Muslim Brotherhood supporters in the last 24 hours.

[​IMG]

17. Northside Storm

The Brotherhood had renounced violence. You can call bull****, but whatever restraint there was before, there is no reason for there to be any now. I don't exactly see how pointing to church burnings after the fact shows anything more than the fact that the military has initiated a series of events that will plunge Egypt into the depths of chaos.

their leaders are jailed, and they have lost sons and daughters. Some really have nothing to live for. Why would you place people in this situation?

I'm condemning the idiots who are doing these things in reprisal, but the military has to be slammed for creating this climate. Utterly irresponsible. Given what it is doing in conjuction with this crackdown (emergency law and appointment of military leaders to political positions), it really looks like the return of tyranny---the military has certainly not earned anything close to the benefit of the doubt.

18. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

It's hard for me to sympathize with peaceful "protesters" firing AKs and attacking Christians.

The Muslim brotherhood didn't want democracy. They made that clear when they thier leader manipulated the constitution.

19. Northside Storm

the vast majority weren't firing AKs during the protests :confused:, and while there have been some attacks on Christians, there wasn't anything as bad as what happened after the escalation of violence.

The majority of protesters were peaceful. Women and children were killed, some roasted alive by fire. Reporters were shot by snipers. I find it hard to believe that you do not have a sense of how terrible and grave these events are.

In any case, I agree that the MB overextended itself in playing around with the Constitution, but I cannot for the life of me get why you wouldn't condemn an organization that appoints its' own members into power, suspends the Constitution, declares emergency law, reactivates the old security units, and shoots civilians en masse.

20. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Your post is total horsecrap. The climate was created by the Islamists, so the military took over, at the request of the people. However, the military went overboard in their violent reaction to the violent Brotherhood protests. But now the Brotherhood thugs are again showing their true colors by burning churches. To paint this as a mere reaction is Mathloon territory. Then again, you two are of the same kind.

#60 AroundTheWorld, Aug 15, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2013