1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What Fantasy Websites do you use for research and throughout the year?

Discussion in 'Fantasy Sports' started by what, Aug 15, 2013.

1. what

what Member

Is it still important to buy a physical magazine, or is it all web-based these days?

2. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Magazines for FFB are obsolete because they're outdated.

3. ivenovember

ivenovember Member

Fantasy Football Toolbox is my go to. I feel like their analysis and rankings/predictions are the most realistic.
    ESPN probably has the worst rankings but they have good articles written by their senior fantasy guys.
    I like the videos on NFL.com too.
    Then I go to the ESPN Matthew Berry podcast and CBS Fantasy podcast for some more in depth analysis.

4. ivenovember

ivenovember Member

And yeah, magazine is a waste of money and it being outdated could hurt you. You want to be up to date on which RB in St. Louis is leading for the starting role, not a guess from 3 weeks ago.

5. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I used to like FFTB, liked how you could insert your league rules... but their analysis seems to have been slipping recently and now I'm not even sure who's running that site. It seems like every article is written by this guy [​IMG] and only that guy.

6. ivenovember

ivenovember Member

You can still enter your custom league scoring and get a list just for your league.

7. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Yeah, but who's determining the rankings?

8. ivenovember

ivenovember Member

Well the ranking part is by computer, the predicted stats are by FFToolbox. If you change you league scoring it will take FFT's stats and run the math on your scoring and spit out a rankings.

I agree that it's been better before, but I think ESPNs is so bad that you have to go elsewhere and Yahoo or CBS don't really cut it for me.

9. ivenovember

ivenovember Member

Also, in regards to this topic.

Easiest way to get an advantage in an online draft is just to use a different site's list.

Nobody knows if ESPN or Yahoo has a better ranking list this year, but if the league is drafting on ESPN and you use Yahoo's list, you could get some great value picks just by using a different list.

10. Kate81

Kate81 Member

Create your own rankings. This is what I do. Closer to my draft I'll list about 3-4 players each round who I'm looking to take. Makes everything run smoother.

Read the articles, stats, whatever. But I wouldn't follow anyone's ranking but my own.

11. TerryGoldfain

TerryGoldfain Member

This is my first season playing FBB and am completely clueless (as my posts in the 'Rate My Team thread will attest) but I got a lot of help from the guy who does the fantasy section for The Pick and Roll http://pickandroll.com.au/category/articles/nba-fantasy/ who provided a lot of great advice with my draft.

He writes a weekly post called 'Grab & Dump' http://pickandroll.com.au/category/articles/nba-fantasy/grab-dump/ that looks at the fringe players on the waiver wire he suggests you should take a look at or steer away from.

And another weekly (both just been updated) called 'Cubes and Chillies' http://pickandroll.com.au/category/articles/nba-fantasy/cubes-chillies/ which is a breakdown of the players on hot and cold streaks and how you can best take advantage of them.

Hopefully he'll be joining clutchfans soon as he's another a huge Aussie Rockets fan.

And just so you know, I'm also part of the website, but if you're concerned about any bias, take a look at the fantasy section, as I'd love to hear the opinions of some experienced FBB guys on his columns.

He's also on Twitter using the handle @Wrldwidefantasy and if you let him know you're part of #RedNation I'm sure he'll be more than happy to talk shop. But it seems like you guys are well served by the likes of thisiscaketown who has been amazingly helpful to me and, by the looks of it, a bunch of other people too.

12. thisiscaketown

1. Basketball Reference for per-game statistics.

2. Rotoworld Player News

3. Rotoworld Fantasy Basketball Forum for insight into players that I know little about, especially foreign.

4. Basketball Monster for the number of games played by each team each week.

13. TerryGoldfain

TerryGoldfain Member

Thanks thisiscaketown....again! Will be sure to check them out

Have you read any of of the fantasy pieces by Jared Dubin for the Stats/Insight section of Bloomberg Sport? I came across them while researching him for an upcoming interview in our....I've done enough promotion for my site today! Will leave talking about our interview series with journalists and bloggers for another time ;)

Dubin wrote an interesting piece on FBB titled 'The Salary Cap League' http://www.bsports.com/statsinsights/nba/nba-fantasy-basketball-salary-cap-league and also 'Overvalued Players by Category' http://www.bsports.com/statsinsights/nba/fantasy-basketball-overvalued-players-by-category . He makes use of the site Basketball Monster, that you mentioned, to get their Average Draft Position.

Interested to read what you think of the 'Grab & Dump' and 'Cube and Chillies' columns I mentioned (as well as the earlier stuff without being too critical on hindsight) as you're my only two sources of FBB information. Hopefully you don't disagree too vehemently as it would be like my parents fighting ;)

14. thisiscaketown

I wouldn't worry about the "Grab and Dump" column because you're not in a deep league. The players mentioned in that column aren't even rosterable in your league.

As for the "Cube and Chillies", it's fine, but it's nothing you wouldn't know if you checked the box scores for each game every day, especially since it only highlights the really spectacular players. The players you would be making smart trades for either generally wouldn't be on that list or would be on the bottom of the honorable mention list.

Checking the box scores is really the best thing you can do if you're playing fantasy basketball seriously, or you'll be one step behind the players in your league that do.