1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Omer Asik 6th Man of the Year

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Weatherby, Aug 14, 2013.

Tags:
  1. Weatherby

Weatherby Member

I think that if Omer Asik plays significant minutes, he has a legitimate shot to be the first center 6th man in a long time. I can't remember the last time that a center was even a threat to win this award. Does anybody else feel like this is possible? Or is this a position that is simply overlooked for the award every year?

2. jocar

jocar Member

6th man is usually rewarded for scoring off the bench, not defense. Only one true C has won it (Bill Walton). Mchale in 84 and 85 as a PF/C

3. Voice of Aus

Voice of Aus Contributing Member

Lol your statement makes me laugh, lets just say he wins the 6th man award, the odds that he is still on this team isn't great, so it's more likely he would win it whilst playing for eg: blazers

4. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

I'm putting my money on Lin

5. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

Didn't Gortat get consideration with the Magic a few years back? That may be way off though.

6. meh

meh Contributing Member

There's the problem right there. Not going to happen.

7. platypus

platypus Member

And why is that?

8. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

OK OP. Do not assume that you can just appear and write relevant articles. Put it on the back burner for a year. K?

9. Voice of Aus

Voice of Aus Contributing Member

i love how you hate on any thread posted without any statistical backing or a variety of facts to back up there Argument.

10. hizzobbes

hizzobbes Member

Pffft. Writing ability has nothing to do with when you signed up for an internet fan forum site. If you don't like what someone posts, then counter their idea or ignore/report the thread.

Leave the regulating to the mods, you're on the same level as the rest of us. A '99 account can say or ask something just as intelligent or stupid as a '13 and everyone in between.

11. meh

meh Contributing Member

Because in NBA basketball, playing 2 great centers next to each other doesn't make your defense twice as good.

12. krmclaughlin

krmclaughlin Member

I dont think he'll put up flashy enough numbers to win anything, but I do think Asik is going to be one of the best non-starters in a league (if he stays here).

13. platypus

platypus Member

So when we play teams like Memphis i assume you are comfortable with Terrence Jones or Dmo guarding Zach Randolph?

Lets stop making absolute statements shall we? Both you nor I have no idea how Omer is going to be used so its no sense in talking out of our asses.

What i do know is that the rockets won't relegate a top ten center to the bench and force feed Dwight Howard minutes a season removed from back surgery.

14. trilethebest

trilethebest Member

I think in order to become a Sixth Man of the Year, you have to be able to play multiple positions, at least two. James Harden (Thunder), Jamaal Crawford, Manu Ginobli, JR Smith all could provide minutes at the 2 or the 3 or even the 1 for example. Asik is strictly a center and can only provide minutes that spot with his limited offense. More, DHoward will consume significant minutes at that spot.

15. k-money

k-money Member

wasnt landry in the talks when he played for us?

16. iconoclastic

iconoclastic Member

6th men tend to play 25+ minutes, almost as much as some starters. Doubt Asik will get that many in Houston.

17. Kruze10

Kruze10 Member

I highly doubt it. The award usually goes to the highest scorer off the bench, Asik might get decent minutes, but not enough to score a lot of points. I mean, even with starters minutes last year he had a hard time putting up double digits.

18. rocketblood713

Omer OH MY !!!

19. TheRealAllpro

TheRealAllpro Morey only fan

He might be the most talented person coming off the bench.

20. meh

meh Contributing Member

Randolph against the Rockets last year: 15/11/47% shooting
    Randolph against the league last year: 15/11/46% shooting

So yes, you would be correct. As for teams "like Memphis", which other teams are you referring to here?

Care to make a tipjar bet on that then? I feel strongly about the following statement that I'm be willing to offer clutch a donation if I'm wrong. If Howard is healthy, Asik will average < 25mpg and he will not start.

Personally, I really hope I'm wrong because it would mean the Rockets solve all their PF issues. But I just can't imagine it.