1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

GOP hispanic outreach continues

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by mc mark, Aug 13, 2013.

1. gifford1967

gifford1967 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Have you ever broken a law?

2. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

How hard is it to sneak in from Lebanon to the U.S, relative to Mexicans sneaking in?

3. MoonDogg

MoonDogg Member

"Every day, the average American commits three felonies." according to Harvey Silverglate.

4. trueroxfan

trueroxfan Member

Yes. I have been pulled over for speeding one time. I am a criminal in that sense, just like they are criminals in the sense of immigration. I paid my fine, now it's time to pay theirs.

Speeding is not equal to entering this country illegally. And entering this country is not equal to theft. Theft is not equal to murder. But they are all crimes, and none of them should just be brushed off because it is 'too difficult to deal with.'

Fchow, what is the difference of how easy it is to do it? It is easy to speed when you don't see a cop, but I don't do it for two reasons, 1) I know it is against the law, and 2) I could kill someone.

5. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

Another republican's eloquent observations on immigration.

GOP Congressman: ‘There’s Only One Race Here, It’s The American Race’

Interestingly, that provision for patriotic integration is missing from the Senate legislation. The motto of this country is e pluribus unum, and one of its meanings is “from many nations, one nation, the American nation.” There’s only one race here, it’s the American race. And the only way you accomplish that is through assimilation. That is what our immigration laws are designed to promote, and that is precisely what illegal immigration undermines.

-- Tom McClintock (R-CA)

6. gifford1967

Supporting Member

The Senate bill calls for fines. So you should have no problem with it. They'll pay for their "crimes" just like you did.

Wow. Before it was "The nature of the crime is irrelevant, the title stands, if you break the law you are by definition a criminal." Now that you've admitted you're a "criminal" you have nuance coming out your ears. Shocking.

7. trueroxfan

trueroxfan Member

No, I still stand by that those are crimes. And actually, I take back that I am a criminal, because according to statute, speeding is not a criminal act, it is a driving infraction. Whereas entering and remaining in this country illegally is a felony. I was agreeing that murder is not the same as theft or any other crime, but they are still crimes. Shocking that you are unable to comprehend that.

8. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

Immigration courts are not actually courts of law. They are administrative proceedings to adjust status. They are presided over by administrative judges, not judges appointed pursuant to law. There is no jury and the burden of proof of not beyond a reasonable doubt. There is no criminal conviction, just a finding of status.

In short, it does not qualify, in ANY respect, as a criminal conviction under the Constitution.

9. trueroxfan

trueroxfan Member

It is still a court proceeding and there is a lawyer on their behalf. Also, they are not citizens, they are here illegally, they do not get the benefits of citizens or those who are here lawfully.

10. Major

Major Member

The DREAM Act has been killed multiple times by Republicans in Congress going back to the Bush Presidency days. The GOP controlled both branches of Congress and the Presidency back then and could easily have come up with a solution for those kids if they wanted to, but they rejected it then too. This has nothing to do with the Obama administration or its enforcement of the policy.

The GOP only "supports" the DREAM Act now because Obama went around them and did it by executive order and it became unpopular to oppose it because it's going to happen regardless. Sort of like they kept fighting DADT before supporting it once it was clear it would pass, giving it more votes for passage than it did for breaking the filibuster, which is the height of nonsense.

11. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Actually it's just shocking that you insist in calling someone a criminal if at any point in their life they broke the law. It reeks of the same stupidly rigid ideaological bent of the Republican Party. It's one of reasons the party will lie in a smoldering heap after the next presidential election just like the last two.

12. trueroxfan

trueroxfan Member

Because Democrats keep fluffing the bill. They do not support everything in these bills, so they refuse to vote in favor. Just because you agree with the principle and intention of the bill, doesn't mean you are obligated to vote and pass what you consider BAD policy. For instance, Obamacare. Just because something needs to be done about rising health care costs, and Democrats and the media are demonizing you for not being in favor, does not mean you should cave in and vote for a BAD bill. Blanket amnesty is bad policy. We were promised in 86 that it would solve the problems of illegal immigration and what happened? Illegal immigration quadrupled!

13. Refman

Man, you have no idea how the legal system functions. In order to invoke the felony provisions of the immigration law, it requires a repeated adjudicated offense (at least three) and would require a criminal trial in the US District Court, not an administrative tribunal.

14. trueroxfan

trueroxfan Member

Lol, you are delusional. It is comical that you sit here and and compare speeding to illegal immigration. Speeding is not a criminal act, it is a driving infraction (unless you go over a certain speed).

It's very nice of you to be so forgiving to people who steal, assault, and murder people, but they are still criminals until they have 'done their time.' How is it stupid to wish our government enforced laws? The party isn't going anywhere, but keep dreaming.

15. trueroxfan

trueroxfan Member

And 44% of those who were deported last year, out of the 180,000 plus, had already been deported previously. So while not all apply to the felony provision, many are 1 strike away from it.

16. Refman

One strike, a criminal indictment and a trial away. By your statistics, 56% plus whatever number have only been deported twice are, in fact, not criminals even under your legally inaccurate definition.

17. gifford1967

Supporting Member

So they're not criminals by your new definition. And neither are all of those who've crossed the border, but never been deported. Since semantics and exact definitions are so important to you are you now going to stop labeling this huge group of people "criminals"?

18. Refman

It is not a court proceeding. It is an administrative proceeding. Please point me to any legal authority (statute or USSC opinion) that states that only citizens get the benefit of due process and a criminal trial before being convicted of a crime.

19. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Im delusional? lol. Look in the mirror crazy. I didn't say anything about speeding or not enforcing the law. I agree that illegal immigrants should be punished.

I don't agree with branding people as criminals if at any time in their life they broke the law and that's what you're doing. It reeks of the heavy handed manner in which the Republican Party treats people and specifically minorities in general. It's the ******* party and they back that up every day. Don't wonder when you get crushed by minority voting in the next election. You've earned it.

20. trueroxfan

trueroxfan Member

I am no longer calling SPEEDING a criminal act, because I looked it up, and it is specifically referred to a driving infraction, and NOT a criminal act. But all the others are crimes. Illegal immigrants are still criminals. They have committed very serious crimes, including fraud, tax evasion, and are national security risk.

Also, in response to the legal process of deportation requiring multiple criminal offenses. Almost every case involves at least three criminal offenses. These are some of the most obvious:
    • False US citizenship claim and perjury
    • Document forgery (2 items of ID per person, or two violations of law)
    • Identity theft (knowingly or unknowingly using another person’s name, SS#, or other unique identifier)
    • Using fraudulent or forged documents (1 violation of law per job held)
    • Attempted use of forged documents (when denied employment, banking, etc.)
    • Money instrument fraud (cashing checks or money orders under a false name)
    • Working for cash (non-payroll tax evasion)
    • Working for cash (income tax evasion)