1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Tennessee Judge Orders Infant's Name Changed, Says Messiah is Reserved for Jesus

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Lil Pun, Aug 11, 2013.

1. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

http://news.yahoo.com/tenn-judge-changes-infants-name-messiah-215423538.html

NEWPORT, Tenn. (AP) — A judge in Tennessee changed a 7-month-old boy's name to Martin from Messiah, saying the religious name was earned by one person and "that one person is Jesus Christ."

Child Support Magistrate Lu Ann Ballew ordered the name change last week, according to WBIR-TV (http://on.wbir.com/1cDOeTY). The boy's parents were in court because they could not agree on the child's last name, but when the judge heard the boy's first name, she ordered it changed, too.

"It could put him at odds with a lot of people and at this point he has had no choice in what his name is," Ballew said.

It was the first time she ordered a first name change, the judge said.

Messiah was No. 4 among the fastest-rising baby names in 2012, according to the Social Security Administration's annual list of popular baby names.

The judge in eastern Tennessee said the baby was to be named Martin DeShawn McCullough, which includes both parents' last name.

The boy's mother, Jaleesa Martin, of Newport, said she will appeal. She says Messiah is unique and she liked how it sounded alongside the boy's two siblings — Micah and Mason.

"Everybody believes what they want so I think I should be able to name my child what I want to name him, not someone else," Martin said.

Ballew said the name Messiah could cause problems if the child grows up in Cocke County, which has a large Christian population.

"The word Messiah is a title and it's a title that has only been earned by one person and that one person is Jesus Christ," the judge said.

2. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

This will be overturned at the first appellate court simply for the sake of other jurists not wanting to appear stupid in higher, more publicized court hearings. What a dreadful mean-spirited and fundamentally unethical constraint for a judge to put on two parents.

1 person likes this.
  3. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

this is a case of stupid judge ruling against idiotic parents.

4. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

How do douche bag religious nuts become judges?

5. Classic

Classic Member

Who names their kid that?

& now, for some borderline related comedy

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Dd7FixvoKBw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

2 people like this.
  6. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

Tennessee.

7. Steve_Francis_rules

That's a horrible name for parents to give their kid, but it's still their right to name him whatever they want.

8. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

tacky name, but it's their right, I guess.

9. treeman

treeman Member

This. I strongly suspect that if the parents fight it then it will be overturned. Last time I checked judges don't have the right to name babies over their parents' wishes.

10. da_juice

da_juice Member

Judge should be forced to resign. No basis in law in this at all.

I like the name though, it be a pretty name for a girl, but it probably give her one hell of a superiority complex.

11. conquistador#11

why not named him christ? it would have gone over the judge's head.

12. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

Change his name to Jesus to to **** with the judge.

Idiots on all levels.

13. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

No one's going to resign or be fired; for administrative sanity and judicial efficiency, I don't know if that would even happen without actual commission of crimes or an accumulation of multiple ethical breaches. The case will be overruled, but there might be enough of a legal basis, or enough judicial discretion in their particular docket, to actually allow for the ruling.

14. NotInMyHouse

NotInMyHouse Contributing Member

That's was pretty good. :grin: Carmenjello kickin some ass.

15. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

Stupid parents:
    1: Apperantly want their child to be picked on (with a name like Messiah he will be bullied)
    2: Cannot agree on a last name for the baby and need a judge to sort it out.

And a stupid judge. On what legal ground could she order the name change?

16. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Change it to God instead. Make him feel special with the ladies.

17. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

The judge should lose her job immediately. If you don't know the bill of rights you should be fired.

18. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

You would need to look up the family law statutes in Tennessee. In Texas, family courts are to decide things based on a "best interests of the child" standard. That is an extraordinarily broad standard and gives the judge discretion to do almost anything they please. Also, if the couple had petitioned the court regarding the child's name because they could not decide on the last name, then the child's name was squarely before the court.

That being said, I do not agree with the court's ruling. Just because I don't agree with it does not necessarily mean that they were totally without a legal basis.

19. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think this is a rare case of universal agreement in D&D.

20. Nook

Nook Member

This is the kind of stupid **** I have had to deal with as an attorney. You would not believe the complete LACK of quality Judges in some jurisdictions.