1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who has a better Midrange Jumper? Kobe or MJ?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by SK34, Aug 9, 2013.

1. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Shaq had a better fg% than both so he must be a better shooter. Mj took it to the hole and had a better shot selection so his fg% was much higher.

I think I would take old kobe's jumper over Jordan's.

2. BONIERO1576

BONIERO1576 Member

It'll be interesting if anyone can find advance stats on Jordan but just from memory I'd say Jordan had a better mid game. His ability to get into position and elevate over his defender made his wing post up almost automatic. I would wager, if anything, Kobe is the better shooter beyond 20 feet. Jordan was always streaky beyond about 18 ft.

3. SeabrookMiglla

id take kobes jumper over jordan. but jordan over kobe.

4. SK34

SK34 Member

That's what I'm asking for.. The advanced stats comparing the players mid range jumpers.

It could be said for either.

MJ was stronger player and took it to the hole a lot and none could stop him even with hand checking rule.

Kobe is a better shooter overall but is he a better mid range shooter?

I know MJ wasn't great from the 3s but he was pretty automatic from mid range from the games I've seen.

5. lucnguye92

lucnguye92 Member

It's a toss up. At this point, I'd just argue which jumper looks prettier, and in that case, I go with Kobe. Although, I'd want MJ taking that mid range jumper with the clock winding down, 10 out of 10 times.

6. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

Your best bet is to go to bbreakdown and listen to Coach Nick's analysis of the two players.

7. Christopher

Christopher Member

I'd say Kobe has him beat. After all, MJ is 50 years old.

8. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

Close-mid range (10-15): MJ

Far - mid range (15-21): Kobe

Kobe hits more acrobatic shots, while making more off-balance plays ... STILL, one does have to consider efficiency and MJ seemed to be a little better at that aspect and shot selection.

For all of those 2 to 5 acrobatic Kobe shots, there comes about 5 to 8 head-scratching shots.

9. amaru

amaru Member

But MJ can actually walk without crutches.

Game: MJ :cool:

1 person likes this.
  10. IzakDavid13

IzakDavid13 Contributing Member

I agree, 110%! If you are looking at who is or was a better shooter, using shooting percentage & TS% are the wrong statistic to utilise.

Should use a formula that divides their rebounds by the players assist numbers, multiply that answer by the amount of turnovers, then add the steals & Block per game average...that would be a better way to gauge a players shooting ability than by using stats that measure silly shooting percentages...

11. Christopher

Christopher Member

Well there is that! :-D

12. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Kobe and Jordan have essentially IDENTICAL 3 point percentage numbers.

13. T-mac&Yao=RING

T-mac&Yao=RING Contributing Member

Its close but I'll have to go with Kobe it was a time when he was almost automatic from anywhere around the paint.

I think Kobe might have been the better scorer too.

14. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

This thread speaks to the main difference between Kobe and MJ. Kobe prides himself (and probably spends too much time) on making tough shots while MJ focused on getting himself the best shot. And then there is the gulf in athleticism between the two of them.

15. Come_Again?!

Come_Again?! Member

After watching the entire 50 point timeline of MJ on youtube (which was like 2 and a half hours)... Ill go with MJ.

16. Han Solo

Han Solo Member

Awesome, must watch this. They have a crazy dunk compilation that as i think over an hour long if i remember. Same with a lay up compilation. Crazy stuff. Watched every second.

17. Han Solo

Han Solo Member

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/we0myBZ6kv0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/MfSftZvpHJg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/5X2pTBBlhYM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

18. supdudes

supdudes Member

Depends on who shoots first ;)

19. VBG

VBG Member

Well, shooting stats don't look at degree of difficulty. Kobe takes the most difficult shots in the history of the NBA IMO.

20. BONIERO1576

BONIERO1576 Member

That second video is how I remember Jordan. Not so much the killer dunks, but that back to the basket game where he could always get off a clean shot. Either he spun back towards the paint and took that one step fade away that he loved, or he spun towards the baseline and either up-and-undered or did that Dream Shake type move. Later in his career you could not stop that play, you just hoped he missed.