1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Made an awful driving mistake

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by cardpire, Aug 10, 2013.

Tags:
  1. cardpire

cardpire Member

days ago, can't get it out of my mind. didn't cause an accident nor was it illegal, just poor judgment, and could have easily resulted in the death of me and a passenger, and who knows who else on the highway. basically i put my life and my passengers in the hands of an oncoming 18-wheeler.

i typically would consider myself a pretty good driver, and am just disappointed in myself and shaken up that i made such a lousy judgment on the road, and just can't stop thinking about it.

any suggestions? i can usually get over crap, but this is constantly on my mind since it happened. it's like i'm constantly searching for peace of mind and trying to convince myself that a wreck was an unlikely result from doing what i did.

2. M.G.

M.G. Contributing Member

What happened?

3. Johndoe804

Johndoe804 Member

Jeez. It's like DocRocket trying to tell a story. Too cryptic for my tastes. Everybody's gonna be asking what happened. :smh:

4. CCorn

CCorn Member

Were you playing chicken?

5. BDswangHTX

BDswangHTX Member

spill the damn beans

6. khanhdum

khanhdum Member

i'm guessing it was small road, and he overtake a slow car and an 18 wheeler was coming? or either he fell asleep on the wheel and the car was going towards the other side of traffic. anywho we all makes mistakes, just learn from it and never to do the same thing again.

1 person likes this.
  7. cardpire

cardpire Member

sorry, didn't mean to be cryptic...didn't think the details were important, since me fcking up really isn't in question, but...

basically i was in the wrong lane on the highway and was about to be forced into exiting, so instead i slowed down to try and switch into the correct lane (never should have done that in the first place, obviously), but was running out of space, ended up basically parked in the median, and the moment i judged to be the correct one to attempt to get back up to speed and move back onto the highway, was when an 18 wheeler was maybe 100 yds away and coming at 70+ mph. he started honking the second he saw me move in and didn't stop for a good 30 seconds after.

no alcohol, cell phones, distractions involved, just lousy effing judgment.

8. M.G.

M.G. Contributing Member

Well, we all make mistakes. Just be thankful nothing bad happened. I got in a stupid accident a few months ago, and it shook me up pretty good for a while. Eventually I got over it and moved on. You should be fine.

1 person likes this.
  9. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

**** happens, we all make mistakes in judgement. Your awareness of it should make you a better driver in the future. Lesson learned.

1 person likes this.
  10. Dgn1

Dgn1 Member

I'm sure he was def trying to slow down but if he had a load he can't just jam on the breaks. Your good bro just learn and live.

11. iconoclastic

iconoclastic Member

Don't get over it.

12. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

You should feel bad for the 18 wheeler driver and not yourself.

13. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Go back and do it again, but this time wait until it's all clear.

14. cardpire

cardpire Member

i feel grateful towards him. i feel bad for my passenger. i don't feel bad for myself. i'm disappointed in myself. i guess i can see where wanting to quit constantly thinking about this is in a way a form of feeling bad for myself though.

15. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

schaub's fault

1 person likes this.
  16. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

"Whenever I'm about to do something, I think: would an idiot do that? And if they would, I do not do that thing."

17. wtfamonkey

wtfamonkey Member

**** IT. YOLO

1 person likes this.
  18. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

One time I almost flipped a car with 3 other passengers in it. Everyone was screaming and when we regained control they started yelling at me, but due to the sudden rush of adrenaline I couldn't stop laughing. That feeling was new to me then and hasn't happened since. This was about 5 years ago. I am possibly the only person to drive on only two wheels of a PT Cruiser and live to tell about it.

I never really felt bad about it though. That night we were all having a good time in New Orleans, so that probably helped me get over it.

19. cardpire

cardpire Member

I honestly can't really discern what percentage of it is me feeling bad about it, what percentage is the "i should be dead" feeling lingering, and what percentage is the uneasiness brought on by the sudden realization that I don't have the airtight judgment that I may have thought I did.

Either way, it's done ****ed me up a bit. Maybe I'll go see a shrink if I can't shake it off. Thanks for the responses though, everybody.

1 person likes this.
  20. BDswangHTX

BDswangHTX Member

Not to a Buddhist