1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Oil and gas industry employment growing much faster than total private sector employment

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Cohete Rojo, Aug 8, 2013.

1. mrm32

mrm32 Member

I wish I was in oil and gas. Well maybe in a few years.

2. cwebbster

cwebbster Contributing Member

I am in Oil and Gas. I work Construction Management and Project Controls for WorleyParsons.

3. Chopped

Chopped Member

Oil and Gas. Electrical/Software/Controls Engineer

4. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Oh great.

Here comes the pollution followed by Global Warming.

5. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

It can turn on a dime and has for the last hundred years. And they need to start differentiating between products, services and segments in the value chain; way too much diversity for the term to either accurately reflect the differing conditions and opportunities for potential candidates. VC/PE, design and software firms in particular, will all these gosh darn MLPs popping up, should be raking in dough if not necessarily extra personnel.

6. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

Well, products are considered downstream and E&P is upstream so there is some separation within the business. And, where the industry does have its ups and downs those with specific operations knowledge won't have anything to fear when there are cuts to be made.

7. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Thanks, Obama.

8. theogcasey

theogcasey Contributing Member

I'm in oil and gas! Just started this week as a buyer!

9. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Sorry, meant differentiation when reporting economic or employment stats. I don't know if individuals in ops/control, planning/engineering or marketing are more or less valuable if prices go down low enough or units get consolidated, an efficient enough operation can pretty much cut and replace anyone they want. Also, when 70 - 75% of kids are going to college as opposed to 33% back in the '90s, there's trainable, cheap talent everywhere. At some point down the road you could hypothetically outsource all the engineering overseas, automate the controls and midstream logistics, get out of retail and let the energy brokers and trading firms find value downstream.

10. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

No but I am a very quick learner!

11. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

I own .05% of an Oil and Gas exploration and production company. We started drilling gas wells when gas was $13, so we almost lost our ass. The GP worked hard to convert our program to oil at a time when financing was a real problem. Now I just sit back and let those $350 dollar a month check roll in.

12. Jontro

Jontro Member

I work at a gas station. Reprezent!

13. bejezuz

bejezuz Contributing Member

Most of my clients work in oil and gas (or have jobs lined up when they get out of jail). I'm a criminal defense attorney.

14. Pete Chilcutt

Pete Chilcutt Contributing Member

Oil & Gas here straight from college in Finance/Accounting.

I love it. And the benefits/perks are great.

#34 Pete Chilcutt, Aug 9, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2013
  15. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Times are good, my friend. Nobody I know has ever been laid off due to cost-cutting, etc. You could group IT in your scenerio as well. It doesn't mean it's likely to happen anytime soon.

16. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

I work in HR at an O&G site logistics/product handling service provider. We hit our 5 year goal for growth the 2nd year in.

I can attest first hand to this thread's premise.

17. ChievousFTFace

ChievousFTFace Contributing Member

So is it normal for HR departments to wait 5 months to respond to an application for a position?

After dealing with the job finding/interviewing process (which is a giant pain in the A), I still get rejection emails for stuff I sent out in March. Thankfully I landed a much better position than pretty much everything I applied for.

18. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Another perk at a lot of O&G companies. Half-days on Friday.

I'm off in 69 minutes.

19. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Most of my coworkers (old engineers) have been working in the oil business for a very long time. They have seen the booms and the busts. The busts were bad and were seriously crippling to Houston.

20. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

Without going into too much detail and boring you with details of our HR dept, I'll just say: I can't speak for others, but for me, yeah its possible. Not common/likely, but possible.