1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Realistic Expectation for Isaiah Canaan

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by wfeebs, Aug 5, 2013.

1. wfeebs

wfeebs Member

When should we expect Canaan to crack the rotation? At all this year? I've been excited to see him play since Morey touted him as one of the best shooters to come out of college in a while (whether he was just blowing smoke remains to be seen).

2. Whoopy

Whoopy Member

Unless someone gets hurt or traded, he won't see any action.

3. McNultyisDrunk

McNultyisDrunk Contributing Member

A lesser Scott Machado, perhaps?

4. CCorn

CCorn Member

D league MVP

5. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Chris Paul

6. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

In D League for first half of the year or so. Then, he'll be brought to the Rockets. He'll be the third point guard and only see garbage time unless one of the following happens:
    1) Lin or Beverley is traded/injured; or
    2) Rockets play a lot of 2-PG lineups allowing for Canaan to get some minutes.

7. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Lots of D-League action for the first half of the season at least barring injuries and an out-of-the-body performance in training camp & preseason where he makes Beverely & Brooks look like amateurs... which I doubt will happen.

In training camp he will be given a chance as everyone will to impress, but the experience the other guys (Lin, Bev, Brooks) have in running an NBA team, running McHales system, reputation, and knowing what the coaches are looking for will help them out tremendously in getting an upper-hand on Canaan.

Canaan will spend a majority of the season in the D-League.... which will at least make RGV games much more exciting... and hopefully having a PG as the #1 player down there helps the style of play to be that much better with actually running a team oriented system. He will be asked to orchestrate plays, and prove that he can run a team at the next level.

8. Jontro

Jontro Member

Anything less than Westbrook then I am disappoint.

9. basketballholic

Need to watch how he does defensively. He'll start at RGV no doubt unless we trade Lin. If we trade Lin (I don't think this will happen) then he'll possibly move to a backup role but I doubt it for now. He'll be at RGV for most of the first half of the season..if he does well then he could become the 4th guard in the rotation behind Harden/Lin/Beverley by the end of the season.

10. Panda23

Panda23 Member

One of these two:

a) ALLSTAR
    B) SCRUB

11. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

A high expectation for him is to survive the year in the D-League. And not get cut.

12. TruthBeTold

TruthBeTold Member

Will dominate the Dleague then get called up during the season a la Terrence Jones.

13. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Anything less than Magic Johnson then I am disappointed. Canaan will play center in the final game of the finals, leading the Rockets to their next championship.

14. IgotNext

IgotNext Member

A rich mans Kyle Lowry.... I hope

15. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

D League all season unless there are multiple PG injuries or a big trade. I don't expect to see him until he's a sophomore, and even then it's an even chance whether it is as a Rocket or on some other team.

16. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Strange.

Machado is an undrafted player that is a great passer but can't shoot to save his life. He was always a long shot to make the team.

Canaan is a drafted player that is a great shooter but not a great passer. He is expected to make the team and has been called the steal of the draft by scouts and Daryl Morey.

Canaan is pretty much the exact opposite of Scott Machado.

17. Patterned919

Patterned919 Member

A rich man's Magic Johnson

18. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Mario Chalmers.

19. CheukLau

CheukLau Member

first year realistic expectation = dleague (unless jl/bl is traded/injured)
    second year expectation = god knows

20. RoxDC

RoxDC Member

I could see that, actually.