1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Random NBA Trade Ideas - 2013-14

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by BigMaloe, Jul 29, 2013.

1. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

I made a thread like this last year. Its exactly like the thread from the garm but for other NBA teams. I don't have search and edit features so I'm going to use Clutch's thread rules.

At times throughout the year, some posters start threads to pose a trade idea. If lots of people post trade ideas, it clutters up the forum, so we decided in 2006 to try to have one thread for "random trade ideas" that are not based on news involving the Rockets. They are simply, "What do you think about... " scenarios.

Here are the rules of the "Random Trade Idea" thread.

1) Keep your trade ideas realistic. We all know why the Rockets would want a superstar ... but try to ask the question "Why does it make sense for the other team?"

2) Don't be a jerk. There are going to be unrealistic scenarios posted ... just point out to them why it couldn't happen, if you feel so inclined. Report the post as ludicrous if you must, but don't nuke the poster and call them names. It spirals the thread down.

2. BigMaloe

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=awnayyx

Okc out: perkins/p.jones/1st/2nd
    Okc in: gortat

Outlook: get rid of perks albatross contract and gain a formidable center. Lose some picks and a high upside player is worth it considering both picks will be late selections.

Phoenix out: gortat
    Phoenix in: Jones/Perkins/1st/2nd

Outlook: trade gortat to take a flyer on a high upside guy like Jones. They receive some picks as well to help their rebuild along with perk who helps them tank.

3. BigMaloe

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=m7zj95o

I was trying to think of possible upgrades for the pacers. This intrigues me whereas idk if its an upgrade but the potential should be worth it. If Gordon regains his pre injury level of play it would be huge. I think Granger is good especially off the bench but i think Gordon could be the better player and fit.

The biggest hiccup for me that i see is how much Indiana is willing to spend in tax. My guess is not alot. Gordon could tie into their Paul George money.

For new Orleans its a good fit and clears up their guard spot some. They would have a playoff worthy starting 5 of jrue/tyreke/granger/anderson/davis

4. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

I don't think they want to go into tax at all. Larry Bird was asked about it during the Summer League. His reply was something like "It's a shame what happened with OKC and Harden, but we will have to do the same soon".

I don't expect any Granger deal that brings back salary past 2014. Unless it's minor salary, like rookie contract.

5. BigMaloe

what kind of scenarios if any, do you see dfb?

I was thinking maybe trading Granger for varejao but idk after scola acquisition. It would even out Cleveland roster while providing for cap space for "Lebron". Varejao is non guaranteed so it doesn't mess with George extension. My hiccup i seen was having to find a taker for mahinmi.

6. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

Yeah, if no Scola, Varejao would be sexy. There's less value in adding another big man at this point. The Pacers aren't that deep on the wings without Granger. If Granger is gone, it's just starters + Copeland / Solomon Hill (rookie) / Orlando Johnson. Shaky.

I could see Granger for expiring perimeter player that can play + pick or youngster, basically. Maybe Detroit: Stuckey, Kyle Singler, pick. Or Dallas: Marion + Shane Larkin or maybe pick since Larkin is injured. Washington: Ariza + Seraphin + pick.

Something like that. Not sure I'd want those deals btw. It's smart long term but... You get only so many chances to compete. If Granger is healthy, the Pacers can really compete next year. If it's Ariza instead of Granger, that chance goes down.

7. BigMaloe

Yea i definitely see what your saying which is why i was looking for upgrades rather than just trading him for depth pieces.

What is their draft picks situation looking like? Could they trade a pick or something for added wing depth. Something like late pick(s) for a player like Courtney Lee?

8. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

They are only 1 pick short, so it's certainly feasible. But Lee has a bunch of money in future years, so it's unlikely.

Right now I think the plan is to keep George, Lance, let Granger go. They've only got some 5 mil to spend once they extend George. They'll use it on Lance or someone else. I guess I could see a Courtney Lee trade next summer, if Lance becomes too expensive.

9. BigMaloe

Not Lee necessarily, but someone like him. Dn3 guard.

I'm curious because Indy is who i root for in the east. But i still see them falling a bit short to Miami. Especially if Oden can stay healthy.

10. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

Well to be fair, as far as I remember, you are extremely pessimistic when it comes to their talent level.

Obviously the Heat are the team to beat until they are beaten. But no one has made 4 finals in a row since Magic/Bird. Too much wear and tear. I think next year is a coin toss, any of Miami/Chicago/Nets/Indiana can win the East and any of them can lose in round 2, it will depend on who stays the healthiest and gets the luckiest.

As for 3D guard, that of course never hurts. What if Granger isn't healthy. But if he is healthy and isn't traded, there aren't really minutes left.

11. BigMaloe

I may be pessimistic a bit about Indys talent level last year. Im much more optimistic this year. And i really do think three injury bug will hit Miami this year and mess then up.

I'm really not so overly exited or worried about Brooklyn. Seems like another lakers situation of old players.

Chicago could be scary and i do like them as a team. Especially if rose comes back pre-injury form. I really wish they would rid themselves of boozes contract Anne get a quality sg.

12. Voice of Aus

Voice of Aus Contributing Member

This trade would more likely go down at the dealine if the Pelicans have a shot at the 8th seed as it is just a needs trade for the pelicans , but depends if the suns think rivers could potentially play the 2.

Pelicans in: Gortat, future 2nd rounder(s)
    Pelicans out: Jason Smith, rivers

Suns in: Jason Smith, Rivers
    Suns out: Gortat, future 2nd rounder(s)

13. BigMaloe

I like it but think it will take more.

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=mo25mvu

Nop out: Gordon
    Nop in: gortat/green/2nd

Phoenix out: gortat/green/2nd
    Phoenix in: Gordon

Phoenix gets somebody they went after in Gordon. They are losing/trading gortat anyway. And Gordon could be a huge get if he ever gets healthy.

Pelicans get a quality center that they have been looking for. They also get rid of Gordons potentially bad contract.

Phoenix has a better chance to tank, along with young upside players.

Pelicans go more into win now mode.

14. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

Jimmy Butler! I think Chicago is in a good place right now if Rose gets back 100%. This will be the best Rose's team. Butler/Deng on the wings, Boozer/Noah both coming off good years, solid bench.
    They are scary.
    I kind of hope Rose isn't 100%. Can't stand the Bulls. And now they have Mike Dunleavy, too.

Brooklyn is interesting. Depends on their health. They fit much better and are much deeper than the Lakers.

15. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

Yeah, that's very interesting. I like this a lot.

16. BigMaloe

I like butler alot. Played ball with him in high school at the park all the time. But they need reliable **** craters other than rose. Boozer just isn't enough of a threat to me.

I really hope butler continues to grow though, but i see him as more of a 3 and a future replacement to Deng.

17. Voice of Aus

i think if the Pelis went this angle of trading Gordon, i think because they wanna be playoff bound that they could net something greater than Gortat and green...

maybe its just me but green just is a tad overrated for a role player..

18. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

Overrated? Is there anyone who's rating him higher than a pile of crap?

it's essentially Gordon for Gortat.

19. Shaud

Shaud Member

Not sold on the Bulls being a threat to Miami.

However I can see the Nets and Pacers causing problems especially Indiana. I would be more sold on New Jersey if they had a proven coach.

20. Voice of Aus

calling green a "pile of crap" is overrating him and offensive to crap.