1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

OFFICIAL: Rockets land Dwight Howard!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Jul 5, 2013.

1. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

The Rockets need a few things to break this year to even have a shot-

A. Can you matchup well enough to beat a healthy OKC?
    B. Will SA FINALLY decline?
    C. Will Golden State improve upon last year?
    D. Will Memphis be improved?
    E. Will Houston be healthy?

If SA finally shows its age, and Golden State doesn't take a drastic step forward, I think the Rockets have a good chance at getting to the WCF. Beating OKC will prove to be their biggest challenge.

The Rockets window for competing can be a really long time though. They dont need Howard to be 2011 Dwight Howard during the regular season... because of that, they will continue to have a shot every year as long as this core is kept together.

Not sure why its being mentioned that it would be either this year or next? I think people are severley overplaying the importance of Dwight's performance in the regular season. The surrounding pieces will be good enough to support a playoff team without him being maximized.

2. PeppermintCandy

On the surface, your current excitement over Howard becoming a rocket has subconsciously reconnected you to your past excitement of being a fan of basketball as a child, as well as the comforting memories of childhood.

But I sense this dream is not just about basketball. Rather, I perceive Howard to be a manifestation of your anxieties and pressures of fitting in or proving yourself worthy to others, in childhood and perhaps even now. Howard then is your judgemental, critical self, who uncomfortably shares the bed that symbolizes your mother's womb.

However, you insist that you are a "big man" who has proven himself by successfully playing with other bigs. This shows your self image has developed since childhood into that of a full-grown adult, able to "stand tall" in front of your past anxieties and childhood fears. You may fight for space against Howard's negative energy, but you are not necessarily overwhelmed by it.

On the other hand, this maturity is fluid and not completely stable, as you still worry about Howard's judgement and find yourself back in the crowded womb once in a while.

As Lucy van Pelt would say, that will be 5 cents.

1 person likes this.
  3. H-TOWNSFINEST

H-TOWNSFINEST Member

I apologize if this has already been posted but I thought it was pretty interesting look at the impact Dwight Howard will have on our team.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/JHNKs3YHOKI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

1 person likes this.
  4. jacoby

jacoby Member

According to Twitter Dwight Howard is in Colorado hanging out with fans at a rodeo.

5. jacoby

jacoby Member

6. pugsly8422

pugsly8422 Contributing Member

HILARIOUS Chart on how Dwight's free agency affected teams.

Spoilered due to size.

[​IMG]

7. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

8. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

WOW, that is something. See how close the Omer Asik box is to the Blazers? ;-P

9. J.R.

J.R. Member

Anyone see the new commercial? (Maybe it's old.) More of a season ticket commercial than Dwight commercial but...

"The best center on the planet is now a member of your Houston Rockets.
    Welcome to H-Town Dwight. Get your tickets and official Dwight Howard jerseys at Rockets.com now.

It's a new age of Rockets basketball."

Nothing exciting, I know, ha. Sorry, carry on.

10. srrm

srrm Contributing Member

They missed a key move: 76ers taking Royce White off our hands

11. Flops

Flops Member

12. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Just a random thought-

I think Dwight should try to get on SNL.

What better way is there for an athlete, actor, or star to revamp their image than to come on SNL and make fun of yourself? I can just see now all the skits he can be in where he can't make up his mind, some good Kobe Dwight fued digs, and whatnot... could actually be a pretty funny show.

13. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Dwight: When I was first asked to host of SNL, I jumped at the idea. Then I thought maybe I could be in a remake of Dallas instead. Shooting JR Smith would be fun..I mean shooting JR. Then I was 50-50 on doing the sequel Escape from LA II, but they insisted that Kobe, I mean, Kurt Russell still being the lead actor. I know there were tweets of me entertaining offers to be in Space Warriors, but that was never a possibility. But in the end, SNL is were I want to be.

14. craguin

craguin Member

15. J.R.

J.R. Member

Mavs video shown to Dwight during their presentation

<embed type="application/x-shockwave-flash" src="http://s0.videopress.com/player.swf?v=1.03" width="400" height="224" wmode="direct" seamlesstabbing="true" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" overstretch="true" flashvars="guid=7gUQqrhk&amp;isDynamicSeeking=true"></embed>

#2115 J.R., Aug 3, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2013
  16. mazinger

mazinger Member

[​IMG]

17. jocar

jocar Member

If D-Mo starts pushing weights with Dwight...

[​IMG]

18. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

that and Chris Paul is nowhere on the flow chart as far as the domino effect goes...

19. da_juice

da_juice Member

Did I hear them say "Howard launches a three pointer"?

That's their "new idea"?

Making Dwight Howard a three point shooter? That's what they thought he'd want? That's the best idea they had?

20. jacoby

jacoby Member

I got this photo from Reddit.

[​IMG]

Just imagine if it were James Harden in Dwight's place. What would have happened?