1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

After $66,750 salary, happinness index goes flat in Houston

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by da1, Aug 2, 2013.

1. Outlier

Outlier Member

That's amazing. What field are you in and how much do you make now?

2. iJHolmes

iJHolmes Member

i'm satisfied with 86 i'll start off with after i gradate and can actually work full time at my job. that and my fiance is going to med school to be a doctor, combined i'll be more than satisfied.

3. dragician

dragician Member

<iframe src="https://www.facebook.com/video/embed?video_id=10201640385476671" width="400" height="320" frameborder="0"></iframe>

4. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Depends on how many raises you've had over the last few years and jobs, and what your co-workers are making or getting in vacation time with equal or less seniority. Also, if they've all got better accounts or long-term opportunities, salary becomes "meaningless" very quickly.

5. Chopped

Chopped Member

made a little bit more than that after graduating, i think i would be happy with around 100k.

6. Classic

Classic Member

7. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

That would just cover your monthly spending on crack whores.

8. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Was this supposed to be humor?

1) You need to lose the hate in your heart. I know I've shamed you repeatedly over the years on this board, but trying to take it out on me through a cheap insult like this is pretty low.

2) I'm a happily married man, so I've never spent a dime on a crack w**** in my life. (but I'll give your mom a call if the mood ever strikes me :cool:)

9. theogcasey

theogcasey Contributing Member

That depends on:

-Where you went to school.
    -Degree type.
    -If you have to pay off student loans.
    -Cost of living.

I'd say most college grads would be happy with $45,000-55,000, but obviously many fall well below this range. Outside of engineers and a handful of other degrees, it's probably hard to command much more than $55,000.

10. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

Chill it. If you talk about a high salary in the Hangout you'll attract so many nut riders on your sack that you might get your own TLC show for the scrote size. Most stand on the top of the slope looking down typing out unoriginal insults.

All your base are belong to their keyboards.

11. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

i could do it in NY or LA for 40 or 50

12. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Surely not, sir; one would pay them in crack.

13. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

If you intern well, stay somewhere for a few years, or all your co-workers are black (which means you'll be manager eventually).

14. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Under $66.75k?

15. atomicanderz

atomicanderz Member

As an individual, I'm far below the San Jose-Sunnyvale-Santa Clara CA 158 $118,500. But as a household, we're above that.

I could be happier, lol.

16. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I should be happy, so is it greedy if I want more?

After taxes and retirement, I get like 3/5 of what I make.

Maybe my search for peace of mind now and until I die is getting in the way of current happiness/satisfaction?

17. theogcasey

theogcasey Contributing Member

I was talking about salaries for new college graduates. Not sure where you were going with this lol.

18. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

You say that now, but wait until you've been making that salary for half a year. Your lifestyle, along with your demands, will change. It's only natural, and there's nothing wrong with it.

19. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Also, the fact that there isn't a city anywhere on that list that has the size, culture, job availability, and trendiness of Houston while maintaining such a low "happiness" quotient is awesome. I love this city, and hope that it can maintain its charm for many, many more years.

1 person likes this.
  20. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

yup. Nyc is so ridiculously overpriced. $3000 for a one bedroom apartment in some places. $600k for a crappy one family house in the outerboroughs. Honestly the standard of living isnt that bad, its just that the real estate market is so fubar that it overshadows anything else. You realize a family with a $70k household income cannot afford to buy a house in most parts of the city even if they had a $100k downpayment?