1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Perfect Movie Scenes

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by MadMax, Aug 1, 2013.

1. thejav

thejav Member

Someone post the scene in gladiator. .where maximus reveals himself to the king..

2. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Marisa Tomei deer hunting monologue from My Cousin Vinny.

"Then I Askya... would you give a **** what color pants the sonofabitch who shot you was wearing?"

3. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Max watch Signs again with this theory in mind -- it makes the movie better and I think it's the twist that M. Night had in mind.

When I first saw this film, I didn't realize that it wasn't about aliens at all. It's about the return of demons. Notice it's all about a priest's resurgence of belief, and a preordained moment of redemption-if-dared-and-attempted. There is no alien technology or weaponry or clothing of any kind, only a clawed, naked beast creature and lights in the sky.

Furthermore: The running joke throughout the movie is that people see these "invaders" in a way that's related to their particular frame of mind: The cop sees them as prankster kids, the bookstore owners see them as "a hoax to sell commercials," the Army recruitment officer sees them as invading military, the kids see them as UFOs... and the Priest sees them as test of faith. This understanding of the film removed my hatred of the "You've got to be kidding me; they were killed by WATER!" concept. In fact, the priest's daughter had been referred to as "holy" (as revealed during Mel's key monologue)–recognized by all who saw her at her birth as "an Angel;" and her quite particular relationship to water is shown to be very special and spiritual: In other words, she has placed vials of what are, essentially, HOLY WATER all around the house. (And the creature's reaction when coming in contact with this blessed liquid is EXACTLY like monsters/vampires being splashed by spiritual "acid.")

This view of the movie also explains the creature's actions: They act like superior tricksters, are not able to break in through closed doors, can be trapped behind simple wooden latches –all mythological elements of demons and vampire-like creatures of lore. It also explains the news over the radio at the end of the movie that an ancient method of killing the creatures has been found "in three small cities in the Middle East" - one would suspect the religious "hubs" of the three main Abrahamic traditions, each discovering the "mystic methods" of protection-and-dispatch that I’ve noted earlier.

Note also: All the Christian iconography throughout the movie, the references to "Signs and Wonders" (the true meaning of the title), the crucifix shapes hinted-at everywhere (check out the overhead shot, looking down on the street driving into town) and the ultimate fact that the entire movie is built around a Priest rediscovering he is not abandoned to a random, Godless, scientifically-oriented Universe but, rather, is part of a predicted and dreamed-of plan.

Now –these creatures may for all intents and purposes be some sort of extraterrestrial or inter-dimensional "aliens" –but the point of the movie seems to be that they are, in the ACTUALITY OF THE FILM WORLD, the dark stuff from which all the character’s tales of devils and night-creatures were born.

2 people like this.
  4. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

There is NOTHING about the stupid and dumb LOVE story in that scene...that's why it's probably the only one to which I fast forward and enjoy my surround sound. That was my first DVD ever. I bought it specifically to check my surround sound with that scene. :grin: I agree with you about the rest.

5. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

A little Disney and Pixar starting with Lion King opening:
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/HwSKkKrUzUk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The Incredibles jungle battle:
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/KJ-MHpY4L_U" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

And the best Pixar scene of 'em all:
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/F2bk_9T482g" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

1 person likes this.
  6. BDswangHTX

BDswangHTX Member

The first 10 minutes of UP made me want to kill myself. So depressing.

7. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

These clips belong in a museum. Cinema in its purest form. Perfect use of sound and image in conveying an idea.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/g6tR78d0cmA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/vYmtpsdAgBI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

2 people like this.
  8. BigBird

BigBird Contributing Member

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/OxQX9fYf2aI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/cXCMz340CRg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/tfVH25sK0KA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

9. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

Final battle in Glory

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/-NYB67m1ccg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

10. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/_rIYXfztyxA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

1 person likes this.
  11. Rox_fan_here

Rox_fan_here Contributing Member

This was one of the greatest endings in cinema if just for the score alone...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/ah9XCamPyKA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

12. GIGO

GIGO Member

<iframe width="680" height="385" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Yg8MqjoFvy4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

1 person likes this.
  13. UTAllTheWay

UTAllTheWay Member

Movie:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/xnOLhXmhkyA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

TV:

This video is very low quality, but it's the only one I could find of this scene.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/yqPbb3xFBAg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

14. myco

myco Contributing Member

I drink your milkshake

15. the futants

the futants Contributing Member

This one's pretty good:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/S3yon2GyoiM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

16. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Definitely on Glory and Last of the Mohicans. Glory was one of my favorite movies growing up. Still one of my favorites. It's refereshing to watch a movie with Denzel these days where he isn't playing the same character. Everybody brought their A+ game acting wise.

What about Terminator 2? there are a ton of perfect scenes in that movie, imo. Mall through the motorcycle battle in the ravine scene. Psycho ward through the escape with the new terminator running after them. And the end battle, which really starts at the company's headquarters and goes through the destruction of Arnold. Three perfect scenes.

17. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

:cool: One of the best "Y'all are in my hood now, b!tches" the-tables-have-turned-in-my-favor-mother-truckers scenes EVER:

Jaguar Paw turning point scene in Apocalypto:
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/MkYY_aL42H4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    When the camera is behind him and the waterfalls are in the background... and he exclaims his "and my sons will hunt it!" part of the speech... :eek: it's movie majesty.

ALSO, the lobby scene in THE MATRIX... maybe it's the soundtrack...?
    NSFW language:
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Es2uYtSJh-Y" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

LASTLY: No slow motion, no special effects, just quick directing and movement form THREE great actors in Coming to America:
    NSFW language:
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/IZQFJ6hZNJc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

#57 SwoLy-D, Aug 1, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2013
  18. MystikArkitect

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/T_AaBbnBbms" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Epic ending

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/WskRAEggqkQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

This one still gives me chills, juxtaposition of Pippin singing, riders riding to their death, and the steward eating...pretty good.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/h5VHRcUa0k8?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Not in english but the only good quality vid on Youtube...pretty heavy for Pixar.

1 person likes this.
  19. Classic

Classic Member

This. was looking for the bank robbery

20. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

"I'm your huckleberry"......:eek:

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/KfbAFgD2mLo?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

1 person likes this.