1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What makes Chandler Parsons an almost-star?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by wil55n, Aug 1, 2013.

1. kubli9

kubli9 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Every single one of your posts in this thread has been annoying. Just stop.

2. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Alright. Because it's you. Welcome to the BBS. ;)

3. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

And I felt you overreacted to his post.... but no worries, it's the off-season. We have to have something to debate right?

4. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

He's not a star, and I wouldn't even say he's an "almost-star." He's a solid starter, who may be good enough to be a third option on a title contending team. And I'm not even confident about that.

Explained.

5. dxdx

dxdx Member

Steve Novak shoots well, how would you rate him?

6. kuku

kuku Contributing Member

I have my way of measuring a star player:

High eFG% + less than 50% assisted FG + FT's/game.

High efficiency = smart player
    Less than 50% assisted FG= ability create most of his shots.
    FT's/game = scoring threat. More FT's, bigger the threat.

More points are scored under above conditions, bigger the star!

Novak's is high efficiency with little FT's/game but more than 90% of his shots were assisted. He can't create scoring on his own and teams don't foul him b/c he is not a scoring threat. He is just a shooter by definition.

Parsons can't creat his own shots. By my definition, not a star.......yet! :)

7. BucMan55

BucMan55 Contributing Member

All Legends are/were great players. Not all great players are Legends....

8. j3i

j3i Member

There are several young small forwards that are more talented (Leonard, Hayward, Barnes) but he makes the most of what he's got. He takes smart shots, creates shots for others, creates space for others, and is probably our best player off the ball. Fortunately, that's all you really need for a 3rd option. So I guess I wouldn't call him a "star," but he does so much for the team that I can't call him a "role player."

9. AvgJoe

AvgJoe Contributing Member

Parsons is not a star, he has potential to become one. He can't create his own shots. He's not a good enough passer. He's a great role player at this moment.

10. knickstorm

knickstorm Member

cause he makes no money. He's basically Trevor Ariza with less defense. Just dont make him the 1st or 2nd option and he'll outperform expectations.

11. cjtaylorpt

cjtaylorpt Member

I don't care what you call Parsons, but he is a leader, damn good recruiter, versatile, and fits perfectly with our team. He is also unique in the sense that whether you're a rebuilding team or a team looking for that last piece to a championship, you could use Parsons. There are not many players around like him. Think of a less-skilled Lamar Odom.

12. MorningZippo

MorningZippo Member

Lol? He's an Ariza with better shooting, better passing, better ball handling, better ability to create of the dribble.

So basically he's nothing like Ariza.

13. MrSabotage

MrSabotage Member

I'm not as high on parsons as most here. He's a very good all around player but I don't see his ceiling being a whole lot higher than where he's at right now. He's not good enough at creating his own shot to be a star

14. blunto

blunto Member

[​IMG]

15. blunto

blunto Member

As many fans are: biased and somewhat deluded.

Dude is outperforming his contract and his skillset fits with the team's needs. Maybe above all, seems to be huge for building chemistry in the locker room.

As far as stardom, he interviews well, is fairly media savvy, and his personality is garnering him more attention than his play.

I think he's more likely to make an all-star game than be a first or second team all-NBA selection, if that makes sense.

16. kaitanuva

kaitanuva Member

Until Parsons can create his own shot, I don't see him becoming a star. He'll always be a super-role player to me until then. Nothing wrong with that.

1 person likes this.
  17. WNBA

WNBA Member

McHale system.

Parsons is not a star.

18. BONIERO1576

BONIERO1576 Member

Considering that we'll already have two players in every all star game in the foreseeable future, Parson will probably have a hard time cracking the stacked forward rotation in the West. He's gonna have to hope for an injury to Durant, Love, Aldridge, Griffin, Randolph, Dirk or Davis (eventually). Having said that, the guy just has an extremely versatile game and high bball IQ. He's going to be the Mario Elie of this team. No so much a star but absolutely priceless to us.

19. khanhdum

khanhdum Member

because of his good looks

20. rlmjdime

rlmjdime Member

I was under the impression he didn't have a system. He let's the guys run around, and bounce the round thing, then throw it through the hoop.