1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

OFFICIAL: Rockets land Dwight Howard!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Jul 5, 2013.

1. J.R.

J.R. Member

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Fpe45VdExqk?start=405" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

2. J.R.

J.R. Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>D'Antoni on Dwight: &quot;Its hard for me to understand why he left a place like L.A. That's kind of mind-boggling a little bit...in his DNA.&quot;</p>&mdash; Arash Markazi (@ArashMarkazi) <a href="https://twitter.com/ArashMarkazi/statuses/362277839288012800">July 30, 2013</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

3. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Member

Coolest part about that interview was Nash getting Jordan's shoes. Hilarious.

4. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

Well simply put everyone is not so star struck to be in L.A... and as a millionaire one would think I can still be in L.A. but not play for the lakers. I mean really... clippers are better show right now anyway.

5. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

So, I'm being 100% serious. I had a dream last night about Dwight Howard. We were sleeping together in the room I slept in as a child and my mom was cooking us breakfast. There was a basketball hoop in the room for us to practice on. Howard was turned away from me in the bed (same bed, lulz) because he was frustrated sharing the bed with me and he being so tall.

He also seemed upset he'd have to play basketball with me on the same team, apparently we were on the same team and about to embark on a season or tournament of some sort. He wasn't sure how it'd work since I was a big man too (I'm 6ft 3, lol what?) but I was explaining to him how me and Yao used to play together at the same time and it worked (I never played with Yao but I wasn't lying because I believed I had).

Anyways it was weird because he was so negative the whole time and I was worried I wouldn't perform on the court and he'd grow even more weary about the whole thing.

What does it all mean?

6. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Well, it means you have a deep seeded fear that Howard's attitude will be a problem for the Rockets.

7. sammy

sammy Member

Funny how crazy we are about sports.

I've had dreams chillin with Hakeem, Lebron just to name a couple :grin:

Btw, I still get giddy looking at this thread title.

8. iconoclastic

iconoclastic Member

Weird- I had a dream that the Philadelphia 76ers had the best record in the Eastern Conference. 66-16.

9. J.R.

J.R. Member

10. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Good grief, that Berger article! pfff.

11. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Lol, that's exactly how it comes off I imagine. My feelings personally during the dream was that I felt uncomfortable, I wasn't sure how to act around the guy, and he was immature but I wanted him to like me. As if his immaturity, immense skill and pressure to have him succeed were making me feel alienated.

Any ways, that's not how I feel in real life at all but the dream has left me feeling a bit weird. Like I know the guy personally.

Super weird.

12. Raven

Raven Member

Now Bill Simmons is spouting that the Rockets' window with Howard is just two seasons.

:rolleyes:

13. ico4498

ico4498 Member

Speaking of D'Antoni, remember that his biggest strength as a coach is getting more out of less. blah ...
    ... underachievers like Young and Johnson are perfect fits
    - Ken Berger CBS Sports

fakers must have vacancies, reporter guy is auditioning hard ...

14. bongman

bongman Member

I believe you are suffering from this new condition called Asikonitis. It is a condition where individuals dream that they are Omer. Your mom is Morey and the bed is the center position. :)

15. mtbrays

mtbrays Member
    Supporting Member

Seriously. It's impossible to predict the West and the majority of our team is around 25 years old. That feels like a lot longer than two years.

16. charles_zed

charles_zed Member

Link?

Simmons is entertaining, but he is prone to some really stupid comments.

17. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

I like Bill Simmons, but that is really stupid for him to say that. Unless he has a crystal ball, he has absolutely no idea how long D12 will stay with us.

18. SuperBeeKay

SuperBeeKay Member

i think this is how Simmons thought it up.

I mean we probably wont win this upcoming year. Possible, but we'll see. The next year? Likely. The following year? Likely. The year after that? Likely. But if we havent won the previous 3 years before wouldnt we have had some roster change?

19. Whoopy

Whoopy Member

Had to stop reading at this point.

20. dobro1229

dobro1229 Member

Simmons is going off of research for an article that he wrote where he looked at where Dwight was in his career (minutes played, years in league, etc vs. other dominant centers at that point), and came up with a conclusion that Dwight has already peaked in his production unless for some reason he is a physical miracle and gives production that very few centers have been able to do after 9 years in the league.

He's got a huge point, but I think Morey & McHale know this too and that's a big reason why they are so high on keeping Asik. They know that there is no way that after the beating he has taken, the back/shoulder injuries, and the minutes played.... that he will be able to be what he was back in 09 for 4 more years +.

I believe that it would be best for Dwight to have more of a Tim Duncan-like second half career from this point on where his minutes and wear and tear are limited as much as possible. 70% of maximum Howard with an awesome backup like Asik is more than enough to get an improving team like the Rockets into great playoff position. Thats really the key here.... Again... hence why Asik is still on the team.

However, in the playoffs will be were Dwight Howard will earn his keep in Houston. That's when he's going to be expected to turn his game up a few notches. That's where the separation between having a great wing player, and a great big man makes the difference.

I think Morey knows this, and even though Dwights production might not ever be what it was in 2009-2011 again, he's still going to be the difference maker on whether or not this team can win titles here in the next 4 + years.