1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Marcus Camby expected to sign with Rockets today

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rocketpower2, Jul 28, 2013.

1. PeppermintCandy

T-Rex would have been a great fit next to Howard at the 4. Had a good outside shot, rebounded, and was unafraid to mix it up down low.

2. megastahr

megastahr Contributing Member

Just had a thought.

Would you rather trade Asik and parts for Aldridge

or trade Asik straight up for Oden and Anderson (assuming pelicans get oden)

Thought about this because rockets were interested in oden. He would be the best back up (outside of asik) Then you would have camby as emergency insurance.

If the pelicans can pull off the signing...Id almost rather make that trade.

Just curious what you guys think

3. basketballholic

It's not necessarily about Covington. It's also about Brooks' role on this team. He really doesn't have one as long as Lin is here. If Covington plays well, Rockets won't take the risk of cutting him and letting him play out the year in RGV. There's 29 other teams scouring RGV for NBA level talent. Brooks does not have a defined role here. He'll have to play his way on to the team barring a trade of Lin or injury to any of Lin/Bev/Canaan.

4. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

The Camby Man can

5. duluth111222

duluth111222 I.D.I.O.T

Really? I seriously doubt that. AB has a proven record, with Rockets no less. I'm willing to make a tipjar bet with you that AB will not be cut before Williams or Covington.

6. basketballholic

I just donated $100 to the tip jar to help cover the costs of the electrons I burn up for them housing my posts. Won't take your "bet". You really should go ahead and make a contribution to help defray the costs here without it having to be a bet if you plan on staying active on this message board.

It's not about that. You have to understand what Brooks is at this point in his career. He's going to have to prove to the league he belongs long-term. The most likely scenario for Brooks is he gets cut early here, takes his money, and then signs a minimum salary deal somewhere else so he can "double-dip" for this season. I suspect Milwaukee or Detroit or possibly someone else will give him another minimum salary deal when we cut him.

7. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Well, we know you don't like Aaron Brooks so no wonder you would say that.

But my guess is Brooks stays because of the potential looming "Jermey Lin" trade. Rockets want to keep 3 PGs on the roster and Brooks is insurance as a "vet" at the PG position.

Assuming no trades, I think it will come down to Covington & Williams for the last spot. If it is real close, my guess is Morey keeps Covington.

8. duluth111222

duluth111222 I.D.I.O.T

Wow, slow down there. Just because you're a contributing member doesn't make your points more valid than mine. And for the record, I made contributions before in the Rox playoffs wins thread. I understand Clutch is super busy, so I didn't want to bother him to change my title. But regardless, you need to change your tone. $100 donation doesn't make you look down on other posters.

Aren't you contradicting yourself? If after we cut him there will be more teams pursuing him, doesn't it mean he belongs in the league? And what point of career is Brooks at exactly? He's only 28 if I'm not mistaken. We aren't talking about Cambyman here. And AB played decent in our last playoff series. Better than anything you can ask for from RWillams and the undrafted Covington.

9. RedDynasty

RedDynasty Member

We're not cutting Brooks. He's insurance, people. Don't get so caught up in unproven, undrafted players.

I like Covington's shooting ability, but Brooks has a much better shot at making the team.

This isn't about age anymore. We're clearly in win-now mode. Vets are huge, and Lin and Beverley lack experience. Brooks isn't getting cut.

10. duluth111222

duluth111222 I.D.I.O.T

I take that back. We're in the Cambyman thread after all... :grin:

11. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Most people still donate to the tipjar, and that is just crazy talk, he was brought in as an insurance policy and proved a good one last year. No way they cut him, if you're so sure on that prediction, then bet on it.

12. basketballholic

I'm not for sure. I don't think I said for sure. It is the most likely scenario.

13. basketballholic

Didn't say my posts were more valid than yours. I didn't challenge you to a bet either. You challenged me to bet. I simply responded. Not betting. Just stating the probabilities weigh heavily in favor of Brooks not being on this team for very long, maybe not even through training camp, maybe not on opening day roster, and if he makes it that far, he'll likely be in street clothes until Dec 15 or the trade deadline and most likely cut or traded then. The odds of Brooks making it through the season with this team next year are very, very small.

I am not contradicting myself. I've been consistent that Brooks career is in limbo and his time here is likely very short. Brooks himself stated that there were other opportunities for him at the minimum and he chose us. I think any reasonable person would have to look at our point guard situation and ask themselves why would he choose us over other teams? His answer was familiarity. Oh? The whole roster turned over last year. he was traded away before that. Last point guard on the depth chart. Familiarity? Just trying to be objective with my mind planted on facts, not empty words from Brooks that are just cover for what is really going on.

I'm not against Brooks and I have no particular dislike for him. I enjoyed watching him play, liked his shooting, liked him as a player when we drafted him, rooted for him to take over for Rafer as soon as we got him signed because he was better than Rafer. But his game hasn't progressed. His game and attitude has regressed. You have to remain objective about these guys and their current career path and condition, not remain inflexible in basketball hyperspace making the assumptions that these players and their development are static. Brooks is what he is, a minimum salary backup bench warmer...at least at this time in his career. He's got an uphill struggle to play above that status. I hope he's successful, etc. But it most likely will never happen here. If his career recovers it will most likely be somewhere besides here.

#373 basketballholic, Jul 29, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2013
  14. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I think Brooks has a good chance of getting cut in training camp. If he makes it out of camp, the Rockets are probably keeping him around in case Lin or Beverley get traded. Rockets will likely try to consolidate talent into a star and Brooks only gets traded if his salary is needed for matching purposes or a PG is traded to Houston. I would put Brooks's odds as being a Rockets at end of season as a lot better than very, very small, but it really depends on if he can make it through training camp.

15. basketballholic

I agree with the statement that if Brooks makes it out of training camp that the odds of a trade involving Lin have gone up. I also agree that Brooks has no trade value beyond salary matching purposes.

16. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

How in the world could the 3rd or possible the 4th best playmaking perimeter player on the team, former 20PPG scorer who is still in his prime physically (also who the coach a few months ago said was his favorite player to coach) not find a way to make an impact on a contending basketball team much less have to prove anything MORE than an undrafted rookie?

I find it WWAAAAYYYYY more difficult to believe that an undrafted rookie from Tennessee State would be able to have more of an impact any day of the week. Covington has about as much of a chance to make the team as Scott Machado last year, Greg Smith the year before that, and Von Wafer before him.

So yes, he has a chance to impress and make an impact, but just as he could be this years Greg Smith, he could easily end up being this years Tarrell Bell(Tinman & the old timers will love that reference).

-Is Brooks currently buried on the depth chart on ESPN.com.... sure, but if you've been following the Rockets for longer than since 2012, you'd know what Brooks has done in this league just a couple years back and any long-time Rockets follower would know that Morey knows that the Roster that is posted IN JULY will in fact be different in April of the next year.

Aaron Brooks & the other veterans will almost certainly have a role on this team. No way they bother bringing him, Camby, and Garcia back in unless they thought that. I can't exactly tell you what that role will be, but he will be important regardless.

I can't say the same for Covington, or any other long-shot prospect the Rockets love to bring in and give a chance to. Sometimes they end up being the next Von Wafer, Chuck Hayes, or Greg Smith.... But often they end up as the next Terrell Bell or Serge Zwikker.

17. OremLK

OremLK Member

Couldn't agree more. I think it's highly likely that Brooks makes the team as 3rd string point guard. Morey has no problem stashing Canaan in the D-League and he has said bluntly that "you need 3 [point guards]".

18. basketballholic

Interesting. Where can I read that McHale said that?

19. basketballholic

4 is 1 more than 3. Stashing Canaan in RGV doesn't mean he won't be the 3rd pg. He will.

20. ch0c0b0fr34k

ch0c0b0fr34k Member

Man I don't even read the posts that are more than 2 paragraphs long. If you can't keep your posts to 1 scroll-down then you're probably rambling.