1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Marcus Camby expected to sign with Rockets today

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rocketpower2, Jul 28, 2013.

1. RedDynasty

RedDynasty Member

Not really.

2. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

I think it's more the fact that we don't have to cut him when it'd be more beneficial to trade one of our more valued players for something of note. Greg Smith seems like the most likely option as he does not really fit into the long term plans anyways from what it looks like.

3. Jayzers_100

Jayzers_100 Member

As others have said, this is easily an insurance move. There may not be an enticing enough deal on the table for Asik at this point, but the depth allows Morey to pull the trigger at a moment's notice. However, no need to rush things until we see how the squad pans out in training camp.

4. Aruba77

Aruba77 Member

i'm not disputing anything you are saying, but i guess i have a little more confidence in Williams, Casspi and Brooks being valuable enough to make this team. I am not saying that none wont get cut because of guaranteed money. I'm saying that they will contribute and make this team better, so i think they'll make the final roster ...which will leave morey with a tough decision about who to cut or trade. I strongly believe morey will opt to trade a guy like Greg Smith because of the potential return he could get as well as the fact that Smith with be a FA next year and doesn't figure to get many minutes this year with a loaded front court.

btw: i like the fact that Morey is bringing more players than available roster spots to camp. competition brings out the best in everyone. And an injury or poor performance could make all of this speculation about who's on the roster bubble completely moot. But as it stands now, i think they'd try and move Smith for a pick if the season started tomorrow. It's just speculation on my part. Tried to provide a fair rational for it. It will be fun to see what actually happens.

#204 Aruba77, Jul 28, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2013
  5. crash5179

crash5179 Member

I guess I have to agree with Carl's post, we really need to wait until we get into training camp. DM could very well have a couple of moves left. I'm guessing hell cut 2 or 3 from the team at some point and the Vipers can control their rights unless another NBA team wants them.

D12 / Asik / Camby
    TJones / DMo / Smith
    CP25 / Garcia / Caspi / Covington
    Harden / Williams / BJ Young
    Lin / Beverley / AB / Canaan

I know I'm missing someone but I don't see DM wanting to go into the season with 3 or 4 rookies again, especially since we are going for it this season. So my first thought is Covington and Young unless the just really impress McHale. Rockets could cut both players and still control their D-league rights and possibly recall them if needed (providing some other NBA team doesn't sign them).

6. DaGreatest

DaGreatest Member

fixed, wth you talking about

7. crash5179

crash5179 Member

I'm not so much concerned about cutting Williams as I am about having a back up for Harden.

8. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

My guess is you will see Garcia and Lin/Beverly get back up minutes behind Harden before Williams.

Unless Greg Smith gets traded for a 2nd round pick (something I feel is likely) then I feel it will be Williams vs Covington for that last spot on the roster.

9. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

No kidding. I'm a bit anxious to see who ends up covering that spot. We've talked about the value in keeping Dwight's minutes down during the season, but I think Harden's minutes being reduced is also a big deal. He clearly got banged up as the season progressed, but still played a hell of a lot of minutes. We needed him to win, but wearing down obviously impacted his game, IMO. I really don't care that much who takes the job as the backup 2, as long as it's covered, and covered well.

10. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Harden's primary "backups" will likely be Francisco Garcia (off the bench) and Jeremy Lin (sliding over when Patrick Beverley is in).

Really, though, the Rockets don't play five distinct positions out there. They just need five guys who can perform certain functions.

11. OremLK

OremLK Member

"selling" is synonymous with "trading away" in sports terms, especially when you're trading an established asset for future potential. That's why you talk about teams as "buyers" and "sellers" at each trade deadline.

Trading Greg Smith for a draft pick would be "selling" the rights to an established (though still young) bench player in exchange for the chance to pick an even younger player in the future.

12. TC777JLIN168

TC777JLIN168 Member

Love Morey

Ian Begley @IanBegley

#Knicks sent 3 players & two 2nd-round picks for to HOU for Camby last summer. A year later, he's back with HOU. Awful transaction for NY.
    1:28 PM - 28 Jul 2013

13. Nook

Nook Member

I agree. The Rockets certainly do not have to cut Greg Smith. At worst they can trade him, and that would be because they WANTED to, not had to. Morey has essentially signed a bunch of players that either have a strong skill set or have done well in the past and he will let them fight it out.

14. HTown_TMac

HTown_TMac Member

Williams will be our scorer off the bench, watch.

15. Amir's Johnson

According to my SOURCES, we will cut Williams during the season.

16. thadeus

thadeus Member

HA HA

17. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Member

This.

The Rockets didnt sign him to fill a need. They are just looking for "BPA" to fill out the last roster spots-- best player available at minimum wage regardless of position.

18. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

get me the Memphis Winslow!

19. TC777JLIN168

TC777JLIN168 Member

Signing Camby is for vet presence in the locker room. Greg Smith will still be the true 3rd center on the team. Love Greg's developing hook shots - it can become lethal (ala, Kareem). Go Greg!

20. pass_to_Hakeem

Nah he'll get mins!!