1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

About The O.Casspi/R.William Free Agency Pick-Up

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Jah, Jul 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jah

Jah Member

Good insight, bro. Thumbs up.

2. DM'sVP

DM'sVP Member

Me too...

3. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

This is a good rule of thumb for all posters...

4. SuperKev

SuperKev Contributing Member

Incorrect. No it doesn't. Couldn't have signed any of your aforementioned players before we were over the cap either. Plus the league partially pays league minimum veteran deals. Also Monta Ellis is one of the least efficient players in the NBA which by any stretch is not we need at this point.

5. tenit86

tenit86 Member

This forum is filled with nonsense like this; every now and then there are real legit conversations and some intelligent people. But for the most part, this site is boring, with half the people not knowing what they are talking about.

6. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

Ever heard of a salary cap? Just sayin....

7. Jah

Jah Member

.....yeah, I got an answer to my question like 3 or 4 pages back. I know Ellis is a volume shooter but he is instant offense. I think J.Jack would be a better option though. Regardless, I'm leaning more with my critics now. Ironic as that sound. Smh.

At least I'm real comfortable with F. Garcia's shooting, coming off the bench.

8. Jah

Jah Member

Man......it must be a damn shame I botched this **** up, huh? Smh. I suppose pitch-forks, nails hammer and a stake is coming my way, now.

*****Forgive Them For They Know Not What They Do******

9. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

This is the classic maneuver- "Doubling down on stupid." Well played.

10. acsorelle4

acsorelle4 Member

Now I get it! :)

11. Jah

Jah Member

......how many bus load of clones coming at me??? They outlasting my stockpile of ammunition! Smh.

12. Rockets1988-

Rockets1988- Member

....I smell a troll.

13. RocketJoe

RocketJoe Contributing Member

With ALL disrespect Jah,

Son, I am dissapoint
    This thread is turrible

14. acsorelle4

acsorelle4 Member

This is the best thread I've read in weeks. Hands down. Love it.

15. Jah

Jah Member

....yep. And then some.

16. DREAMsTeam

DREAMsTeam Member

17. intergalactic

intergalactic Contributing Member

OP, I thought you were going to #BeWell in Philly.

1 person likes this.
  18. haydenfisher342

19. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

This dam* Jah not backing down from yall..bwhahahahahah.. Pull out your soldier rag then pimpn.

20. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Defense is pretty close (at least with respect to players who are on the floor) to being absolute in its additive nature; 5 good defenders can all utilize their defensive talents on the floor simultaniously.

Offense, on the other hand, is more like a pie of a fixed size, and when you add someone that needs a big piece, you have to reduce the amount of pie that is available to everybody else. Especially when you have a solid offensive team, piling more scorers on a team that can already score introduces redundancy, which results in talent being left unused. When you add scorers to a team with a whole bunch of scorers, 1 + 1 ≠ 2, but more like 1 + 1 = 1.25. The exception comes when you talk about guys who have specific o with range to stretch the 'D'.

So this is my long-winded way of saying that paying market value for Monta Ellis would be a stupid move. He does have skills that could help. Most notably, he will stretch the defense with his shooting range, but most of his market value comes from his ability to score with volume, which is a redundant skill set that the Rockets would mostly not use. Instead, the Rockets signed guys like Reggie Williams and Aaron Brooks who also shoot with range and play poor defense. But because they have never been anybody's leading scorer (a 'skill' which the Rockets wouldn't use anyway) the Rockets are on the hook for about 1/10th of the money they would have given Ellis to not use his expensive talents fully.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.