1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Lin fans: Why the opposition to 6th man?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by LelWestbrick, Jul 8, 2013.

1. AvgJoe

AvgJoe Contributing Member

To make this work:

1. Harden can't play over 40 min. If so, then what's the point of Lin playing without Harden for 8 min/game.

2. Lin needs to play backup for both Harden and Beverley to get his minutes. Maybe 18 min from Bev, and 12 min from Harden.

3. McHale needs to know what he's doing with the substitution patterns. From his track record, his subs are right around if not below par, no flexibility.

4. Lin needs to get the green light when he plays without Harden.

2. luckytxn

luckytxn Member

wow

Do you honestly believe Lin is a better ball handler than Harden or even Parsons? :confused:

3. kwongadong

kwongadong Member

definitely better than parsons. did you not watch parsons last year lose the ball every time he tried to take it to the rim?

4. ttdestroyer

ttdestroyer Member

Based on turnovers and watching Harden the entire season. Yes.

Parson's should not be part of the conversation based on last season ~ Lin & Harden are guards - its their job to be better than Parson's.

5. Type Raba

Type Raba Member

i dont see why there is such a question about this. do you guys really want harden to feed dwight instead of trying to score himself? lin can set up dwight because he does have good court vision. and he is dangerous if the d doesnt respect his ability to get to the rim. basically harden should NOT be passing to dwight more often than trying to score himself.

6. Hrock

Hrock Rookie

Thank-you. This season will show what McHale is capable of with his rotations and substitutions, which is something a lot of fans have been questioning last season. Come playoffs I was very impressed with McHale's coaching and rotations. This season is going to be exciting to see how the Rockets will play!

7. luckytxn

luckytxn Member

huh

If his court vision is so good why does he turnover the ball so much? Or airballs so often? Or miss so many baskets in a row? Or take the ball in and gets trapped? Or...

8. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Why are you so racist and/or anti-Christian?

/sarcasm

9. Type Raba

Type Raba Member

You just trolling now. what do airballs have to do with court vision?

but anyways, if he actually had a big who can catch the ball, then maybe he'd have less turnovers. anybody who actually watched the games last year can see that asik took away many assists and contributed to many to's.

10. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

The fact is, Lin will not get the touches he needs as PG as long as Harden is on the perimeter unless Harden decides to play off the ball a lot more. Stars ALWAYS want the ball, especially when the light is shining brightest on them. That is what makes a star a star. Whether or not this is best is not the point. With Howard on the team now, Lin's touches will be further marginalized and justifiably so as he is no where good enough to demand the ball himself. Are we better off like that? We will see based on next season, but based on last season, sometimes yes and other times no. It will all come down to the following things:

- Will Harden be effective at feeding the ball to Howard?
    - Will Harden refine his court vision and passing before or after he re-discovers his off the ball game?
    - How much can Lin improve on his own off the ball game?
    - What new offensive tweaks will McHale add to incorporate Howard's post game into our free flowing PnR offense?

11. Hrock

Hrock Rookie

I really truly think this season will show if McHale can hold the coaching job down or not with rotations ,etc

12. raskol

raskol Contributing Member

How do you connect things like that, lol?

Then if Hardne and Manu has played as the 6th man, why can't Harden do that again, lol?

Of course Lin can be the 6th man if McHale chooses to do so. The point is as it pertains to your comment, the previous poster was saying that mentioning another name with Lin in the same sentence does not equate to a comparison. As for Lin being a 6th man, many posters have already written down over and over again, why it may not be a good idea. Conversely, some have gave good reasons for Lin being a 6th man. Thus, the debate...

So far, however, were I a team of the debate team coach, it's pretty obvious who is ahead of this argument. I don't know why everyone is so adamant that Lin and Harden don't work?

And honestly speaking, I do find it funny and quite a bit distasteful that most (not all) of the people who are advocating that Lin should play the 6th man role are the same ones who for weeks have been claiming Lin's trash, a scrub, a marketing tool, that Bev's better and more proven, screaming for Lin to be traded or straight hating on him. Now, it's.. that's cuz Lin would be so good at it.... sigh~

1 person likes this.
  13. ThisVoice

ThisVoice Member

Harden is a better handler, but yes Lin is better than Parsons in terms of handles

14. raskol

It amazes me how selective bias totally ruins objectivity..

15. raskol

yup. Just lost respect for any basketball related comments from you. Good observations. Right on target. You must have followed basketball for a long time, lol.

16. Hrock

Hrock Rookie

You should try to actually participate in a discussions, instead of trolling. Point out stats or make observations where he's bad, but this comment is just...

[​IMG]

17. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

The reason Lin can't be 6th man is because there isn't another PG on the roster capable of starting, if there was, then it would be a possibility. As long as Lin is the best PG on the roster, he'll start no matter how much people whine and cry about it. I know Lin fans are annoying, but Rockets fans should want what's best for their team, and right now, that's Lin starting.

18. iJHolmes

iJHolmes Member

only those are valid reasons for bad court vision. the others are more trolling points. but to add to that, Lin has a bad habit of driving the lane and jumping in the air without knowing what to do with the ball, and then making some split second decision and tossing the ball away. he does have a bad habit of getting caught in traps, and he had bad shot clock awareness, too many times has he dribbled down the shot clock to like two seconds just to pass it off to someone and make them throw up a prayer.

overall i would say lin does not have good court vision, thats definitely something he needs to work on, but court vision is more of those you have it or you dont things. so i dont know. We'll just have to see how he starts to pan out IF he stays.

19. boiler

boiler Member

Bad court vision can lead to high TOs, but high TOs doesn't necessarily mean the guy has a bad court vision. A lot of great point guards turn ball over at high rate. Harden had more TOs than Lin last season. I think Lin has a pretty good court vision. A lot of his passes lead to easy baskets. To me that's a good indicator for good court vision. I agree he needs to work hard on beating traps. In my opinion, that is his biggest weakness as a starting PG if he is going to handle the ball a lot.

20. CertifiedTroll

Lin= good player. 8 million a year= better than good player. Chances Lin becomes better than good player with in next few years= descent. On a win now team developing prospects = assets not bench warmer.

That is why I am opposed to Lin being a 6th man. Either he improves this season or needs to be traded. Sorry for using advanced basketball analytics. I am prepairing to go to MIT to present my scorers= pretty good seminor at the Sloan Confrence.