1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Lin fans: Why the opposition to 6th man?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by LelWestbrick, Jul 8, 2013.

1. raskol

raskol Contributing Member

But noone remembers all the good games. Like literally, they'd be like "oh, he had one or two good games..against bad teams at that...." People just see what they want to see.

2. raskol

Harden's out of the game for 10-12 minutes a games, sometimes less... Staggering would do the same thing. It doesn't make any sense logically if you think the best reason for him to come off the bench is to play when Harden's not in.

3. IgotNext

IgotNext Member

Didn't harden have too many minutes last season?..... We need to preserve this man when possible.

Do you think Lin could do well enough for that? So that hardens backup could play more time?

Same with Dwight and Asik. We don't need to kill Dwight with minutes if avoidable.

4. Spiegel

Spiegel Member

Lin as a super sub will breath a new lease of life into his career. He can come in, be aggressive and play his game. If you watch his games in New York, the biggest thing that made him good was he would attack the double teams with a dribble step through without any hesitation but last season as soon as he saw a double coming he throw the ball away or passed it off because of hesitation.

The point is he was to hesitent and was thinking to much.In the second unit he can play as the primary playmaker and be less hesitant.

5. hardenisaboss

hardenisaboss Member

This is what my opinion of the situation about Lin is...(coming from a Rockets and Harden fan, i know i am new here)
    Lin is an amazing player, i love watching him. but he will always be a third or fourth option on a contender. nothing wrong with that you can't have everyone on the team being the best player and with the addition of Dwight Lin gets pushed even more down in the ranks. but the fans must remember that the guy is getting paid good money and all he has to do is share that backcourt duties with Harden. you may say its unfair that a PG does not have the ball, but the sad thing is that the game has evolved. the positions are not as definite anymore. you must be able to do everytthing on the court. fortunataly for us Lin is improving his shot and I want Harden and Lin to form the best backcourt in the NBA...Rush Hour babyyyy. i see him getting 14-15 ppg with around 8-9 shots and 7-8 assists with a good 3P%. but making him a sixth man makes no sense. all he has to do is produce efficiently with limited touches. it is possible. Harden on the Thunder in his 3rd year produced amazingly even though he had Durant on his team. also Lin fans please stop hating on Harden, Beverly and other Rocket players. i know some fans hurt you guys but don't hate on other players for it...ignoring them is the best solution.

6. hardenisaboss

hardenisaboss Member

i wish we had a billups kind of guy on this team, someone who has won a chip and can bring leadership and experience to this young team

7. meh

meh Contributing Member

Players making $8mil/yr don't deserve a cookie for every non-bad game they have. Just like no one last year praised Harden after every 20+/5/5 game because he's a super-max player whom the Rockets gave up most of their prized assets for. And there weren't 10 threads after every game for which Asik gets double-double and top notch defense.

Good games from Lin should be expected, not celebrated. Celebrating good games should be reserved for out of nowhere players making chump change, like Greg Smith or Beverley.

I know I'll certainly be blasted, but I don't expect just "good" play out of Lin every few games. I want good play to be his baseline. And I want his overall play to be above average. Be an above average starting PG. I don't know if he can be that player, but that's my expectation. If he plays like he's "at least better than Beverley", then to me that's failure. And just because people talked about it doesn't mean he failed any less. Simply that more people know about it.

1 person likes this.
  8. hardenisaboss

hardenisaboss Member

this is beautiful man! :cool:

9. Chef_Monteur

Chef_Monteur Member

Agree with everything you said. But, fact of the matter is that Les is the reason why Jeremy is getting paid that salary. Because Les is the one making the money off his China connections. Is it really fair to fault Lin for having an inflated salary? Personally, I don't think it is. He's making more money than he's worth on the court, but you also have to see the Les side of things. The more money Les makes off this Chinese thing, the more likely he will be to spend over the cap and pay more luxury taxes.

Lin is Les's cash cow now that Yao is gone.

10. Star

Star Member

I think Lebron should move to the 6th man too.

Imagine how he will tear apart the scrubs backup of opposing teams.

11. ch0c0b0fr34k

ch0c0b0fr34k Member

Until people start getting packets of money in the mail as evidence of this "cash cow" strategy, I don't think anyone really gives a **** about the Les side of things.

12. linvetb6

linvetb6 Member

No point gaurd is going to get 6th man if Asik can't catch the ball and dunk it.

13. Chef_Monteur

Chef_Monteur Member

And Lakers fans could say the same thing about Jerry Buss. Do you know how much money he's made off that franchise over the years?

What about Steinbrener and the Yankees?

What about Jerry Jones and the Cowbgirls?

Building winning tradition starts with capital, as it does in ANY business. If the business owner isn't happy, then the likely outcome will be **** all for the fans too.

14. Spiegel

Spiegel Member

Are you comparing Lin to LBJ?.

15. calmdowntime

calmdowntime Member

Do you really not understand that two players can be mentioned together without the implicit accusation that one is as good as the other? Hmmmm..

Also why does it matter how much a player is getting paid? Seriously some of the peoples' logic in here is that because Lin is getting paid more relative to his production therefore he should be benched. :rolleyes:

16. lakersuck

lakersuck Member

I don't see what's wrong with this at all. Lin will still get his 30+ minutes a game.The only thing is, the whole 15 minutes Harden isn't going to play, Lin will. Then they can play the other 15+ minutes together. Lin can run an offense as well if not better than Harden. He's better at it than anyone else on the team. We need at least one of Lin and Harden on the floor so we can have 48 minutes of smooth offense just like we'll have 48 minutes of post defense and rebounding with Dwight and Asik.

His minutes will be the same but he won't start the games so that when Harden goes out for his first break, Lin can be the man on the floor. He can still close out games if he's playing well enough and for sure they can still play together.

17. Voice of Aus

Voice of Aus Contributing Member

This has turned into yet another LIN thread.......

bye bye lin

18. raskol

Yeah, that's what he's doing.

19. meh

meh Contributing Member

So if Harden and Manu has played as 6th man, why can't Lin?

20. t0mdotcom

t0mdotcom Member

Maybe something like:

Beverly
    Harden
    Parsons
    Asik
    Howard

Then Rotation

Lin
    Harden
    Garcia