1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

who would you rather have(best coach): Phil Jackson or Hubie Brown

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by what, Jul 23, 2013.

Tags:
?

Pick 1

1. Phil

79 vote(s)
    87.8%
  2. Hubie

11 vote(s)
    12.2%
  1. what

what Member

I know this may, on the surface, sound crazy, but if I am building a team and all things being equal - I think Hubie Brown outcoaches Phil all day long.

Phil leaned a lot on Tex Winter, whereas Hubie thought about the game on so many mulch-dimensions. On pure basketball no-how Hubie was levels about Phil Jackson.

What say you?

2. rockets018

rockets018 Member

Regardless of the teams Phil inherited, this game is measured by rings... I don't even think this should be a discussion.

I get your argument but in my opinion Phil gets the nod, hands down.

3. meh

meh Contributing Member

Who would you pick to start your franchise? CP3 and Kevin Durant? Or Rudy Gay and Mike Conley?

2 people like this.
  4. Reach

Reach Member

Hubie Brown praised Lin effusively on National television. Phil Jax did not.

So yeah, I think Hubie's the better coach by far. Also, **** Mchale.

5. what

what Member

well, in the case of phil jackson he's coached two played better than kd and cp3 --- on the same team, best hubie ever had was bernad king and he took that team to a seven game series with the mighty boston celtics.

rings aren't everything, it's the teams you coached. In fact, it's my opinion that Patrick would have gotten at least 1 ring had Hubie coached him his entire career.

6. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Dimensions of mulch, that about sums up the subject

#6 Shroopy2, Jul 23, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2013
  7. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

I say, first, based on your grammar, lay off the alcohol.

Then, second, based on your choice.....

....Lay off the alcohol. When you sober up, make the right choice.

8. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

I'd pick Hubie Brown to be the coach I'd like to sit next to at the bar during a basketball game

"Shane Battier has a lifetime career average of 34% from the 3 point line at the baseline on home games played before 8 pm central standard time on nights when the tides are at its highest"

"Get a load of this stat: Kevin Durant is an astonishing 83% from the floor when he has the ball in his hands inside of 18 feet on the left side of the paint when he drives with his right hand, then left, then right, then left again with a finger roll finish"

9. dandorotik

You're a basketball mess.

10. ScolaIsBallin

ScolaIsBallin Member

Dafuq did I just read?

11. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

LOL @ not picking Phil Jackson

12. Panda23

Panda23 Member

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  13. VBG

VBG Member

Measuring individual success purely by the rings won by he team is kinda ridiculous.

However, I do agree that Phil Jackson is in the top tier of NBA coaches with Pat Riley, Greg Pop and Red,

I don't see Hubie on the same level even if his basketball knowledge is ridiculous. Pure basketball knowledge isn't even Phil Jackson's strength.

14. rockets018

rockets018 Member

What else can a coach by judged by? Winning %? Look where that got George Karl....

15. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Another what the **** thread by what.

This is laughable.

Forget the X's and O's. Phil Jackson is one of the best motivational coaches and handler of tough personalities/egos in the history of the game. He has been blessed with the greatest players to play for him but he is also the one that has brought out the best out of them. Its his mental approach that separated him from the rest. He also knew the importance of both offense and defense. His teams have been well rounded.

Yes the guy has a massive ego and is an arrogant prick, but he also has a spectacular resume.

OTOH, you can get plenty of coaches like Hubie Brown around the league.

16. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

I don't believe Phil Jackson is the best X's and O's coach ever, but he was a shrewd career planner. He played his cards exactly right. The stars were aligned. He knew exactly what he was doing when he left his teams' situations. Secondly, like others have mentioned, he managed egos like few other coaches.

He has earned the respect of NBA fans everywhere, who are arguably more obsessed about hardware than any other sport (nevermind that the NBA is the poster child for lack of parity top-to-bottom). Many coaches, whose toil and hard work had made mediocre teams very competitive, will be pushed aside. However, a perfect storm of factors ensured that Phil Jackson's fans will always have the classic NBA trump card - championships. Game, set, match - Phil Jackson.

#16 napalm06, Jul 23, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2013
  17. what

what Member

actually, i just thought that this would be an interesting discussion. hubie brown, in my opinion, is extremely unappreciated as a head coach and phil is, by comparison, extremely overrated as a head coach.

i would take hubie brown as my head coach over every head coach out there with the exception of Pops and a young larry brown. Both of which are far better in my opinion than the great phil jackson.

18. dandorotik

But Pop didn't have talent handed to him.

Sincerely,

Tim Duncan
    David Robinson
    Sean Elliott

19. VBG

VBG Member

Well, when you lose to beatable teams that is important. You have to see the whole package.

I mean the Lakers in 2011 completely quit on Phil Jackson against the Mavs. Who loses (as the higher seed) by like 40 in an elimination game?

20. SunsRocketsfan