1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

My Friend talked to James Harden in LA *Interesting*

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by mockster, Jul 21, 2013.

1. bmd

bmd Member

No. Because it wouldn't be funny if I randomly went up to black people and mention different stereotypes for no reason.

And fried chicken and watermelon isn't a funny stereotype anyway.

If I was ragging on my black friends about having bad credit if the opportunity to make a joke was there, then it's all in good fun. Same if they made a stereotypical joke about my culture.

1 person likes this.
  2. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

But what if we're going with the stereotype that white people are racist? Then can you call a white person that made a stereotypical joke racist jokingly?

Mandatory

[​IMG]

P.S. Asian, thought it was funny joke. Also thought it was insensitive. One don't preclude the other, i.e. there's comedy that offends people. Though I'm with you that we need to lighten up.

3. itstheyear3030

Why was Lin even brought up in the first place? Seems like someone has an agenda...

4. wehaveliftoff

wehaveliftoff Member

Harden always struck me as a real class act. That would be an awesome experience, one to remember your whole life. I would like to meet His Beardness too someday.

5. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Guys, I don't see Omer Asik going around giving people money. Should we all just be OK with that?

No.

All posts have been reported.

6. dudeimfromhtown

chuch hayes paying for someones subway lunch>james harden giving out cash

7. Knickskiller

Knickskiller Member

Man...throwing hard cash at strippers i understand, but at fans.. Harden should seriously not do that.

8. itstheyear3030

Also, just for future reference, "racism" has several definitions. Belief in the superiority of one race certainly qualifies, but the belief that certain races share inherent characteristics is also an alternate definition. Thus, the generalization in this case was technically racist.

9. Nook

Nook Member

Met James a few times. He doesn't like crowds that is for sure. Met him in NYC in a mall, wasn't a dick but clearly wasn't happy that word was spreading he was in the mall. He signed for 3-4 people but clearly didn't want to stick around. The other time I met him through work and he was quiet but laid back and very nice.

I get the feeling he isn't an ass, but really doesn't like being surrounded by people.

10. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

People complaining at the "Asian" remark needs to chill the hell out. If that's racist then every kid who asked if I freaking knew Kung Fu when I was growing up was a racist. It's a stereotype and if you don't like it, ignore it and move on. As an Asian kid who grew up as a kid in a rural area, I can honestly tell you that is not what I consider racism in the slightest.

Back on topic, while it is good that Harden is so generous, I also hope this was an isolated incident and he learns prudence in the future. I don't want to see him broke less than 5 years out the league in the future.

11. hbomb

hbomb Member

Jame$ Harden :)

12. topfive

topfive CF OG

In-n-Out Burger, here we come!

13. itstheyear3030

You're right, all those kids were being racist. It doesn't matter if you consider it racist; nor does you opinion count for any more or less just because you are Asian. Stereotyping falls within the textbook definition of racism.

As to whether people should be offended, that's a different matter entirely. Personally, I would let this slide, but I'm not going to tell people when they should or should not be offended. You know there's a reason why Asians are stereotyped as conforming, meek, and unwilling to challenge the status quo?

On topic, most NBA players are bankrupt within a few years of leaving the league.

1 person likes this.
  14. IPSAC

IPSAC Member

Another thread ruined by LOF's.

1 person likes this.
  15. iconoclastic

iconoclastic Member

I'm not as offended by stereotype jokes as I am that some posters think that it's OK to make stereotype jokes with people who are not their friends, but rather anonymous strangers on a public forum. Unless you have a friendly relationship with the posters you're joking with, stereotype jokes should offend rather than amuse.

16. figment

figment Member

Holy Christ eatin' Cheetohs why was Lin even mentioned in this thread about someone who's not Lin. I'm convinced all the LOF/LOH are like the same 2 dudes with 20 sock puppet accounts chuckling into their Yoohoo bottles in their parents' basements.

17. boondoggle

boondoggle Member

I believe this story and I'll tell you why.

I, too, live in LA. Just yesterday I was walking down the street and I hear a rumbling Ferrari pull up a stop light. I look over and there is Mister James Harden sitting in a red 458 Spider. Normally I don't get starstruck, because living in LA you get used to seeing celebrities, but still feeling a buzz from the Howard trade, I call out "CLUTCH CITY BABY!" just as the car starts to drive off. The car is so loud, I'm surprised he heard me, but he slams on the breaks, almost causing someone to rear-end him. I get a little nervous, because I start to question whether or not it really was James Harden or just a black man with a beard who thought I was talking trash. As the car squeals into reverse, I wet myself a little, because to be honest, I'm not the biggest guy in the world. Thankfully, it really was James, and I knew because he asks me, "are you from Houston?" I stutter out a "yes," and he gets out of the car, raises his arms in the air and lets out a Rick Flair "woo!" He walks over to hood of the car, pulls out a piece of paper from his back pocket and asks me my name. All of a sudden, I'm so excited because I'm getting an autograph. He then puts the paper in my hand and kisses me on the mouth (I didn't like it). I look down at the paper and see that he's SIGNED OVER THE TITLE to the Ferrari. As I'm trembling in disbelief, I look over and I see James Harden moonwalking down the block, around the corner, and out of sight. My friend, who was there with me, recorded the whole thing. I just texted her, and as soon as she gets back to me with the video, I'll post it. Promise.

3 people like this.
  18. koopa

koopa Member

You mistaken the ferrari for a lotus and james harden for your gay boyfriend

19. gnozahs

gnozahs Member

Wtf. He gave your friend cash? LMAO

20. HOUSTONJS

HOUSTONJS Member

From what I heard, he is a noticeably reserved dude. Kinda shy.