1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Movie] Pacific Rim (Guillermo del Toro)

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Xerobull, Mar 24, 2012.

1. Convictedstupid

Really liked it.

2. iJHolmes

iJHolmes Member

i only liked the fight scenes, the acting and storyline was complete garbage.

i'd buy the blu ray when it comes out just to watch it on my 3D LED TV because i like the visuals so much.

3. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

About the ending...
    I thought the plan was to blow up the bomb/reactor while the jaeger was inside the breach/tunnel. It seems that it happened too late-- after Gipsy danger was already through and on the kaiju's world. But then the breach collapsed.

I wonder if this is how a sequel is supposed to work-- that the breach wasn't really sealed because the reactor overload happened a bit late.

4. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

There probably won't be a sequel. The general population would flock themselves over a cliff if they could be convinced so. It is a great movie but the likes of Grownups 2 and other crappy movies are too appealing atm.

5. thisiscaketown

This was absolutely terrible. It was incredibly rushed, and it's like Guillermo del Toro tried to fit as many cliches as he could into one movie. There needed to be more fighting and less talking.

6. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

really?

7. thisiscaketown

Yeah. For how terrible the exposition was, there needed to be more action to make up for it.

8. Jontro

Jontro Member

Or hot lesbian secks. But only 1 girl in the whole movie (that Russian sheman doesn't count).

9. SuperBeeKay

SuperBeeKay Member

i dont understand how a giant robot punching a dinosaur hurts but armor penetrating weapons traveling at triple/quadra digit speeds dont hurt them at all

10. atomicanderz

atomicanderz Member

Just saw it in IMAX 3D. Solid movie, I enjoyed it. My gf thought it was okay, it's def. a guy movie.

It's about 20mins. too long but besides that I recommend it with a large popcorn and beverage.

11. atomicanderz

atomicanderz Member

Oh, I give it a 7.5/10.

12. James Gabriel

James Gabriel Member

Time for payback on that Kaiju that attacked Manila. :grin:

[​IMG]

13. BE4RD

BE4RD Member

Saw it last night.

I decided to see it because of one huge reason. It's new IP. I cannot take another unneeded or undeserving sequel. I can't take another reboot. I can't take anymore Michael Bay. I just can't. If I have to support something that is corny and half-baked simply to let Hollywood know that we're willing to put up with them taking risks, then so be it.

I think this movie suffered from trying to do too much at once syndrome. They had 2 hours and 15 minutes, and yet none of the characters got developed all that well. And the ones that did get development used a lot of crutches to get them there (already proven archetypes, or worse, stereotypes).

Raleigh - Typical Caucasian protagonist. He looked like he stepped out of a JCPenny catalog. His only job was to be good looking and likable. The concept of him being this "loose cannon" was never really, you know, shown, so that felt really forced and awkward.

Mako - Typical unlikely hero wunderkin who is extemely gifted but very vulnerable. Her backstory, and relation to Stacker, was one of the few things in the movie that actually resonated with any impact character-wise. The romance subplot, however, sucked.

Stacker - Typical gruff military commander. This is the one archetype I didn't really mind, except for the fact that instead of actually making him a super intimidating badass, they gave him a british accent and made him look and act like Jeffery from the Fresh Prince of Bel Air. Total missed opportunity there.

Australian Team - I seriously didn't know that these guys were father and son until the last 30 minutes of the movie. As such, I feel like that plot point was wayyyy underemphasized. The evolution of the father into the defacto commander of the Jaeger program was done well. But the son, holy god, how thin and pointless was this character? He was a dick, just for the sake of being a dick. I half expected his nickname to be "iceman", it was so Top Gunnish. Also, not shocked that these guys were the secondary heroes in the whole thing and the only other jaeger team to survive since they most closely resemble Americans.

Russians/Chinese Team - Holy f---. Really? I realize that you only had about 90 seconds total to develop all 5 of these characters, but come on, this was sad. The Russians looked like they just stepped off the set of Rocky 4 as Ivan Drago's mom and dad. The Chinese were basically flying acrobats. Could we be anymore shallow about this? And beyond that, these two teams get buttf---ed within the first 5 minutes of their deployment. How the hell are we supposed to be affected by them dying if they're barely shown or built up? These characters were definitely the low point of the entire movie and dumbed everything down to Transformers levels.

The Scientists - I'm guessing these guys were meant as comic relief or something, and it worked, albeit with more misses than hits. But once again, the totally ridiculous character types ruined it. I get that having a ying-yang relationship helps build the characters and their relationship with each other, but when you do it in such a hamfisted, cornball way, it negates the effect. One scientist is a totally disshelved scatterbrain spaz that studies organic matter, the other is a fastidious bow-tie wearing tea sipper that deals in numbers and calculations. This would be a great R2D2-C3PO type pairing if not for the goofy, over-the-top way it was executed. Also, their inclusion in the movie's plot seemed like it was one of the more hastily written parts. The fact that the entire scientist-goes-to-blackmarket subplot could have been written around entirely shows you how lacking it was.

All that negativity aside, I liked it. I really did. The action was phenomenal. One of the best parts is that you have organic matter (monsters) fighting inorganic matter (robots), this creates a brilliant contrast that actually allows you to discern what the hell is going on in the fights, unlike Transformers, etc. Also, in addition to the CG being great, the fights themselves were actually really well done. Each fight was memorable and unique. I never felt exhausted or tired of seeing a certain robot or monster. There were some silly moments (omg I have a sword now!) and some overused gags (the bird being knocked off the pole, and then 5 minutes later the newton's cradle gets tapped) but overall, very impressed and pleased with the main part of the movie, which was the action. I think this movie could have really benefited from being focused more on the beginning of the monster war, and set itself up for a sequel or two that would have given them more time to develop the characters. But that's a risk probably not worth taking, and I get that. If you go into it expecting a decent setup and character arcs, you're going to be disappointed. Just go eat some popcorn, turn your brain off, and have fun.

14. SuperBeeKay

SuperBeeKay Member

Im starting to think this movie was dark satire, sort of like starship troopers

15. Jontro

Jontro Member

Starship is probably one of the best sci-fi movies ever made. one of the few 10/10 IMO. Too bad their sequels sucked more than a Rafer teardrop.

16. Doctor Whouston

Doctor Whouston New Member

The movie was OK. Glad to see Idris Alba speak in his native accent. LUTHER! Pan's Labyrinth was an cinematic feat, indeed. Pacific Rim was just a summer blockbuster. Oh, and the main character was the British dude in Undeclared.

17. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Main character's dead brother:

[​IMG]

Russian male pilot:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

I wonder if they had released Pacific Rim at some other time in the year and not in the thick of Summer, would it have fared better. Coming right at a time as a lot of family movies just didn't seem to give it much draw. Perhaps if they debuted it sometime in the Spring before the big movies started coming out it would have had a better chance. Looking like it's gonna drop quite a bit in its second weekend.

I wonder if the movie would have been better had they focused as much time on the father/son relationship as the Raleigh/Mako/Stacker storyline. Make the scientists one character like originally planned and cut some screen time and give it to the Chinese and Russian teams. And give the movie an extra 15 minutes or so. When introducing the other jaeger pilots, I think it would have been cool to see flashbacks to their fights so you can see why they outlasted everyone else. You sort of got that with the Australians but not really.

19. VanityHalfBlack

Where can I find more of these different country ones?? Or did you make that yourself?

20. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Regarding a sequel:

It seems obvious to me; this is a super advanced alien race that has been around for billions of years. They just make another portal. The sequel(s) center around the Jaegers going to the home planet(s) to destroy it.

He's the star of Sons of Anarchy.