1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ESPN] Heat Amnesty Mike Miller

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by yobod, Jul 16, 2013.

1. yobod

yobod Member

The Miami Heat waived veteran guard Mike Miller via the amnesty provision ahead of Tuesday's deadline.

Miller's agents already have begun reaching out to other teams who may have interest in Miller, according to sources.

The move will save the Heat nearly $17 million in luxury taxes this season and reduce their expected tax bill, projected to be $33 million, by half. The Heat still owe Miller $12.8 million over the next two seasons as part of a contract he signed in 2010.

"I understand the business side of basketball," Miller told The Associated Press. "It's a combination of being very, very thankful for the opportunity that I've had, but it hurts that we had a chance to do something very, very special and I'd love to have been a part of it."

The decision reveals a bit of a split in the Heat front office. Team president Pat Riley said several times since the end of the Finals that he didn't want to use the amnesty on Miller and he wanted to bring the back-to-back champions back intact for another run next season.

"After many discussions internally and a sincere effort to explore the trade market, we made a very difficult decision to use our Amnesty provision on Mike Miller," Riley said. "Mike had an incredible impact on the Miami Heat; helping us to three finals appearances and winning back-to-back World Championships. This was a very difficult decision for me personally, the Arison family, Erik and the entire Miami Heat organization. Mike was one of the best we have ever had here, and will be sorely missed. We wish Mike, his wife Jennifer and their family nothing but the best."

Riley went so far as to say "we're not using the amnesty" in a conference call with reporters last week.

"I want to try to keep this team intact as long as we can because we have a championship basketball team here," Riley said. "I would hate to break any part of it up, that is productive and leads to winning."

Riley said the choice on Miller, though, ultimately would be an ownership decision. It appears principal owner Micky Arison and his son, team CEO and part owner Nick Arison, decided to overrule Riley with the huge tax bill the facing the Heat. For the 2012-13 season, the Heat paid $13.3 million in luxury tax, the most Arison ever has paid and more than twice what he paid when the Heat won the title in 2012.

It is possible the Heat released Miller to set up another deal. They still have their $3.2 million mid-level exception and are one of the teams interested in free agent center Greg Oden.

Miller, who has been a playoff hero for the Heat during their past two championship runs, has battled numerous injuries. He had four surgeries after signing with the Heat to his thumbs, shoulder and to repair a sports hernia. Miller also has had back problems. He averaged 46 games played over the past three regular seasons.

But 2012-13 was his healthiest year. He played in 59 games but averaged career lows in points (4.8) and minutes (15.3). He played in all seven games in the Finals, starting the last four games, averaging 5.3 points and shooting a remarkable 61 percent on 3-pointers.

http://espn.go.com/nba/truehoop/miamiheat/story/_/id/9482980/miami-heat-waive-mike-miller-amnesty-clause

2. finsraider

finsraider Member

At the right price, he would not be a bad pickup.

3. yobod

yobod Member

2012-2013 Stats:

59 Games, 42% Three Point, 15 MPG - 33 Years Old

He was making $6.2M, this should give Miami some flexibility.

4. tallanvor

tallanvor Member

Yes. Do WAnt. 100% from half court.

[​IMG]

5. pugsly8422

pugsly8422 Member

Kind of sad when your healthiest year consisted of playing in 72% of games. Of course, like the article says, it was also a career low in minutes, so maybe it's due to that.

6. iLookOK

iLookOK Member

Thats nothing, Camby is 100% from full court

7. lookabove

lookabove Member

Explain how this gives Heat flexibility? This move all about saving money and only open spot for min salary player who in no way shape or form will be better then Mike Miller.

8. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

They can use it as basically a trade of Miller for the opportunity to use their MLE on Oden and save a great deal of money in the process.

9. oldgunrules

oldgunrules Member

Hehe you guys crack me up:grin: The b*stard may be lucky, but he is a winner who made his own luck. Respect:cool:

10. yobod

yobod Member

Miller's salary of $6.2M counts as $17M in luxury tax. They save $17M in that regard, and their offer to Greg Oden is expected to be their mini MLE of $3M which I don't think affects luxury tax. Teams over the cap threshold do not qualify for a full MLE from my understanding, just the mini MLE.

11. lookabove

lookabove Member

$86,560,050 - 6,200,000 = 80,360,000 (still way over the apron and has no effect on MLE)

Again they can sign Oden regardless if they keep Miller or not. It's all about money.

Also they use mini-MLE on Ray Allen last year. I believe since Miami over the apron again the can't use it this year. I might wrong, but I'm not going research it.

#11 lookabove, Jul 16, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2013
  12. lookabove

lookabove Member

I did math for OP - does not get Miami under apron to get MLE.
    http://www.hoopsworld.com/miami-heat-team-salary

13. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

That's what the article says.

It is possible the Heat released Miller to set up another deal. They still have their $3.2 million mid-level exception and are one of the teams interested in free agent center Greg Oden.

14. da1

da1 Member

James Jones will get his minutes.

15. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

Miller probably hurt his back getting amnestied.

16. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

probably too injured to play anymore. if he can pass a physical i'd pick him up to replace delfino

17. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Member

I can see him going to a team like Chicago for the minimum.

18. parksn306

parksn306 Member

he came up big in spots during the playoffs, someone will take him

19. Marsarinian

Marsarinian Member

He will be a terrific pick up for a team like the Grizzlies or the Thunder. I'm sure playoff teams are lining up to sign him when he clears waivers. Basically the role that Garcia has on our team.

(Except Garcia's better.;))

20. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

We amnestied Scola and he was on the All Decade team

It is going to be hard