1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Magic or CP3

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by rockbox, Jul 15, 2013.

Tags:
?

Who was better

1. Magic

95.2%
  2. CP3

4.8%
  1. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

For my greatest team of all-time (not best at each position, I'd be taking into account fit) Stockton would be my starting PG. Magic couldn't shoot from long range and isn't quick enough to guard modern day PG's. Paul controls the ball too damn much, as did Magic (which lead to turnovers). I think Magic probably is the best PG of all-time, but man, for the best at his position he sure does have a lot of deficiencies.

2. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

If you pick CP3, you should be banned from this website...

3. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

But Paul doesn't turn the ball over. His career ast/tov ratio is over 4 (which is ridiculous, btw).

4. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

Some of you guys are seriously selling Paul short, even if he isn't as good as Magic. He's one of the best to ever play.

5. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

lol.

With Kareem out for Game 6 of the Finals with an ankle injury, Magic got on the plane and sat in Kareem's seat. He said "Never fear, E.J. is here". During the game, he proceeds to play the center position.

Final line : 42 pts, 15 rebs, 7 assists, 3 steals, a victory, and the Championship.

He was 20 years old at the time.

What people have to realize is there are great players and there is greatness. Mitch Richmond was a great player. Michael Jordan is greatness. Brad Daugherty was a great player. Hakeem Olajuwon is greatness. CP3 is a great player. Magic Johnson is greatness.

3 people like this.
  6. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

IMO, that game was a significant historic event for the NBA. Kareem was an absolute MONSTER in that series and then he couldn't play game 5. Magic stepped up like no rookie had done before or since.

CP3 is probably the best PG in the NBA right now but it isn't fair to compare him to an all-time great like Magic.

7. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

The reverse works though. Nostalgia is very powerful. Everyone has formative years as a fan that they will cling to. Fans who grew up watching Michael will say he was the best ever no matter what ever happens with any player going forward. Fans who grew up with Cousy swear by him.

If you grew up in the Magic era he captured your fandom. He was iconic in a heyday era for the NBA. It wouldn't actually matter whether or not Paul was better because you'd never believe it.

8. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

And of course this is something we all remember. Is Magic an incredible basketball player? Yes, undeniably better than Paul as a basketball player. That moment speaks to Johnson being a great basketball player. But does that mean you take him over Paul? What if the opposing team has Tony Parker on it?

I didn't pick Paul or Magic. I refused to vote. Magic is better, no doubt. A better PG? Depends...

9. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

Actually the better comparison would be Isiah vs CP3. I would actually have a tougher time choosing between the 2.

10. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

Then you obviously haven't watched Zeke.

11. munco

munco Member

Why is there even a poll?

12. VBG

VBG Member

CP3's offenses are relatively better than Isiah's.

13. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Paul doesn't even deserve to be compared at this point.

14. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

isiah kicks his ass too.

15. JLOBABYDADDY

JLOBABYDADDY Member

CP3 is a very good PG, and maybe even better shooter and defender. But Magic was far more versatile.

16. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Magic was 20 years old when he won the Finals MVP. Think about that for a second. 20 years old on the worlds biggest stage as a rookie and he dominated. This a year after he won an NCAA championship. He went to the finals 9 out of the 12 years he played before the HIV announcement, and won 5 championships.

To me Magic was better than MJ because he made everyone around him better from the second he stepped on the court.

17. Goat Herders

Goat Herders Member

Magic Johnson is one of the five best players of all time by any metric. I'd rank him first. The idea that he couldn't guard other point guards is stupid. He's 6'8 - he wouldn't guard the other point guard anyway. Magic could play five spots and even without the flare, was a tremendous leader. He basically averaged 20/7/11 which is insane. (Paul is 19/4/10). I like Chris Paul. A lot. But anyone thinking a comparison to magic is worthwhile is an idiot. Thomas is a much more interesting comparison.

18. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

I don't want to vote because it's hard to compare between eras and go against Magic's accomplishments, but y'all should look up some advanced stats on Paul. Y'all make him sound like he's a scrub. He's a super underrated all-time great. He's definitely better than Isiah Thomas at least. Paul has a career PER of 25.5 while Thomas's is 18.1. TS%? Paul .575, Thomas .516. Paul has 120.3 career win shares while Thomas has 80.7 and he played 5 more seasons. The "accomplishments" argument can't be applied when the statistical difference is that vast.

19. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

Yes I have.

Just saying the difference between Zeke and CP3 is smaller than Magic/CP3.

20. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

Absolutely, Morey is a Genius! But have you ever stopped to think that when
    you are trying to convince a player (CP3) to join your team you might want
    to flatter him a bit? There is no way Magic comes out of retirement at 53yrs
    old so you butter up the 28yr old instead. Really at THIS point there is no
    comparison.