1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jahlil Okafor: The Next Great Center

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by mr. 13 in 33, Mar 10, 2013.

1. lionaire

lionaire Member

Very Bynum-esque.

2. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

It is difficult to guage him at this point. He is obvioulsy big but seems low on athleticism and looks like he will have weight issues throughout his adult life. Then again, the athleticism may come once he is done growing and weight can be controlled, obviously. So in closing, he could be a Kareem/Shaq hybrid or he could never play a game in the NBA.

3. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Hakeem Olajuwon, Alonzo Mourning, Ben Wallace, Bill Russell and Dwight Howard beg to differ.

Granted, those guys were all phenomenal athletes and this guy doesn't appear to be that, but nonetheless, those guys were/are all 6'11 or under.

4. Nook

Nook Member

6'11" is fine for a center but it is very likely he is over 7'0" when is all is said and done. He has narrow shoulders which will limit him at the 5 spot as he gets older. Clearly not a stiff though. Not an explosive athlete like Shaq or Drummond, but more the smooth athlete like Jabbar or Yao.

5. 28sinan

28sinan Member

Guys forget this kid. I was on youTube and i just saw this kid Paschal Chukwu. He will be in the same draft class. He is already 7'2"! And guess what......his native country is nigeria......this kid could be something! Just imagine him working out with hakeem.....anyway here the link

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_vtMNuROVE

6. basketballholic

Oh my!

How did you find this???!??!?!! This kid is insane!

Seriously, how did you find this?

That is the best vid of a high school big I've seen since Dwight. In my opinion, that kid is going to be a big time player. He's got the shooting touch, the handle, everything to go along with that frame. That's crazy.

7. 28sinan

28sinan Member

i was on howard chens twitter account and he had tweeted this youtube link about an Andrew Wiggins dunk. And in the top comment i just read this "Check out my channel for a mix of a 7'2" highschool Junior!" and i was like man :eek:
    And you know what this kid is under the radar! According to rivals.com he ranked 74th in the 2014 prospect ranking.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/recruiting/rankings/rank-2993

8. 713

713 Member

Second coming of Hakeem. holy cow.

9. basketballholic

I know people have said that a thousand times but I've never said it about any prospect. Guys like Okafor remind me more of DeMarcus Cousins, heavy base and somewhat slower feet. This guy is the first guy I've seen that really reminds me of Hakeem. He's got those quick feet, the hops, and what a stroke for a HS junior. I don't normally jump on high schoolers. I see Wiggins as a guy with loads of potential. I see Parker as another future great NBA talent. Not really convinced Aaron Gordon will be that great. Not convinced Shabazz Mohammed will be a superstar NBA player. I did watch video of Serge Ibaka when he was playing in Africa and thought he could really be an NBA talent. I think Okafor will be an NBA player, but he'll be a tractor. This kid here, he's got the same physical gifts that Hakeem has. Don't know about his mind. Don't know about his work ethic. But he's got the physical gifts. Will be keeping an eye on him. Somebody call the Cougs.

10. cjtaylorpt

cjtaylorpt Member

"After watching this youtube video. I can say, conclusively, everything you need to know about this player." -- The majority of people commenting on NBA prospects.

11. ubigred

ubigred Contributing Member

Just needs the footwork ala Z-Bo.

12. J.R.

J.R. Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Respected NBA executive of 20-years plus tells me that Chicago's Jahlil Okafor is the most skilled high school center he's ever scouted.</p>&mdash; Adrian Wojnarowski (@WojYahooNBA) <a href="https://twitter.com/WojYahooNBA/statuses/356054962519801856">July 13, 2013</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

13. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

A great pity,he is certainly talented. The other Nigerian 7'2"" player in this thread,is more athletic and quite skilled. He reminds me a little bit of Dream.

It's great to see HS players developing as true centers.

14. Juxtaposed Jolt

That dude missed leg day.

But honestly, Paschal's legs are so skinny. I wonder how scary he'll be if / when he meets with a team trainer in college / the NBA.

1 person likes this.
  15. trowa2

trowa2 Member

daaaaamn dude can ball

16. da_juice

da_juice Member

Yes. We probably will never return to the Big man Renaissance of the '90s, but it be nice to see some elite, traditional big men back in the NBA.

17. Kruze10

Kruze10 Member

Has potential but I can't help but think it's mostly due to his size against guys that are no where near his. I'll keep an eye out for him though, could be elite one day.

18. Jontro

Jontro Member

I hope Scouts and GMs sleep on Paschal Chukwu in the future and he sleeps to the second round in the future. Then Maurie can swoop in for the win.

19. Progs

Progs Member

Yea he is very skill but kinda slow in NBA terms and very athletic. No way is he a Superstar but an All Star he might thanks to his 6'10.5 height. Myles Turner though looks legit. He is Lamarcus Aldridge with better defense.

20. Progs

Progs Member

Not very athletic