1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Houston Rockets Salary Cap Update

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BimaThug, Jul 1, 2013.

1. ejarts

ejarts Member

how about we bring back meta world peace? spark off bench, Lebron stopper

2. Fair Dinkum

Fair Dinkum Member

This probably belongs in the trade ideas thread.

I'm not sure if we have to have cap room or we can bid the minimum but would probably be out bid by other teams in the blind auction.

3. ILoveWhiteGirls

Andrei Kirilenko at the 4 anyone?

4. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

Yes please put your trade ideas in the random trade thread. Personally I'd like to keep this one focused on/for capologist and questions for capologist because it is a complicated issue that I have to work hard at to keep straight.

I would appreciate it since the cap number is now set if someone would keep an accurate running account of who is signed for what and what options are left. I am particularly interested in how we sign Caanan.
    Thank you.

5. bandwagon

bandwagon Member

Question about TPE and sign-n-trades:

If a team owns a TPE worth $8 million, can it be used to acquire a sign-n-trade contract worth more than $8 million?

6. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

No. TPE also can't be combined with other TPEs and/or player contracts to sign a player worth more than the TPE.

7. bandwagon

bandwagon Member

Sorry, I wasn't clear. I wasn't talking about combining tpe's or contracts. I'm talking about a straight-up swap during a sign-n-trade. Typically, a salary difference of up to 150% is permitted in a sign-n-trade involving players. I wasn't sure if that rule would still be applicable if a tpe was used instead of a player.

8. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I forgot there is a $100,000 dollar wiggle room.

Here is an example of a non-simultaneous trade: a team trades away a $2 million player for a $1 million player. Sometime in the next year, they trade a draft pick (with zero trade value itself) for a $1.1 million player to complete the earlier trade. They ended up acquiring $2.1 million in salary for their $2 million player -- they just didn't do it all at once, or even necessarily with the same trading partner.

http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q81

Simultaneous trades have more flexibility with salary.

9. t0mdotcom

t0mdotcom Member

Question reguarding Bird Rights:

We have Hardens Bird Rights, because OKC traded him in the last year of his contract?

We don't have Howards Bird RIghts because LA let him become a FA? Even with a sign and trade from LA, we wouldn't of been able to receive Howards Bird Rights?

10. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

Bird rights are awarded based on three years of service with one team.
    Bird rights are also transferable in a trade.

So, OKC had Harden's bird rights, and when the Rockets traded for him those rights came with him.
    Howard did NOT come over via trade, so his Bird Rights clock reset. After three years here, the Rockets will have his Bird Rights.

11. t0mdotcom

t0mdotcom Member

Awesome, thanks for clearning that up!

12. finsraider

finsraider Member

Bima, if you're reading....

In what way could a SnT for Dwight benefit the Rockets? Could it potentially push them above the cap, giving them the full MLE?

13. topfive

topfive CF OG

Maybe if we bring back 2009 Ron Artest. 2013 MWP can't even stop Rashard Lewis.

14. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

I am not Bima nor would I ever pretend to be but from reading his post I understand that we were above the cap after releasing Garcia and making him a free agent. When you added all the exceptions and non guaranteed contracts we were over the ~58.67 mil cap. Which meant if a SnT for dwight kept us over that we would have retained are MLE and BAE. Unfortunately the minute we agreed to a deal with Garcia for the minimum that potentially drops us below and we lose the opportunity to retain those exceptions.

It's more complicated than that but suffice it to say that unless we reneg on Garcia and LA or some other team in a three way agrees to sign him while we send something to LA then there is no chance we can retain those exceptions. No Chance. I know Bima doesn't like misinformation on here but that is what I got from reading his stuff. If it's wrong I am sure he will eventually correct it.

P.S. Just want to thank Bima for a great job keeping us informed during this whole Howard Fiasco. This was one of my favorite threads to come to during it all. His work IMO is as good as the guys who get paid to do it and he does it for us for free. Thanks Bima.

15. basketballholic

There are no reasons left to do a sign-and-trade to keep the full MLE and BAE except one extreme possibility. That being that we move out both Lin and Asik for another superstar to play alongside Dwight, Harden, and Parsons. The chances of that happening right now is probably around 1%. And I haven't looked at it recently but I think with the individual trades of White and Robinson we don't even have enough salary left to combined to possibly execute such a move. Earlier when there were free agents on the market like Paul Millsap and Josh Smith and we still had Garcia's birds rights and had not agreed to him cominb back...there was the possibility of executing a couple different sign and trades using Asik and Lin and staying above the cap by never using cap space and thereby having the full MLE and BAE available. But when those guys signed elsewhere and the rest of the free agent market started funneling down...really the odds of a S&T went away.

I suspect there was some talk of going this way with Josh Smith. If Josh Smith had agreed to a salary of around $12 million, we would have had enough salary to send out for both Dwight and Smith at one time. But when he signed elsewhere and then Millsap agreed to Atlanta there is simply no more reason to execute that strategy.

You may want to consider both Asik and Lin can still be traded..combined with other salaries for 2 max contracts. IN theory that's possible. BUt in reality it's not realistic. It is realistic that we trade for another superstar however. And the thing that you have to consider going forward is how we get the next big name...or do we even go there if these guys start the season knocking it out of the park and Jones/DMo are burning up the nets from the corners. IF there is one guy that Morey would like to move for other assets it is Lin. So remember that. Morey could take back up to $15-16 million in contracts using Lin and either Greg Smith or one of the other non guaranteeds and one of the 2 power forwards on rookie deals. If there is another major move it is most likely to involve Lin and second most likely to involve BOTH Lin and Asik.

16. anchel

anchel Member

¿? Is this accurate? Following Bima numbers, the Rockets don't have enough cap to do that without waiving some contracts previously. Right?

17. Fair Dinkum

Fair Dinkum Member

I posted it a few pages back.

T-Rob, White, + waive Anderson, Ohlbrect will get you enough room to sign Dwight to the max.

Canaan, I not sure about but at least we can sign him to the rookie minimum 490,180.

18. anchel

anchel Member

Yeah, but seems like Feigen is only counting the White trade there (not the cuts of other players) and still says there will be cap room. Thats why I was asking.

Canaan, since it is not a rookie scale contract you need space for him, it has been commented. And I asked yesterday if we are using part of the room exception on him... but nobody could answer it.

19. Fair Dinkum

Fair Dinkum Member

I haven't had time to read everything posted in the last couple of days but there was a thread yesterday saying Canaan has agreed to a 3 year deal. Probably find his contract details in there.

Btw. You can sign as many minimum contract players as you like when over the cap incl. Canaan at the Rookie Minimum.

I'm pretty sure we have to waive 2 of Beverley, Anderson, Smith, Ohlbrect to have enough cap room to sign Dwight to the max and Bima has confirmed this a few pages back. Don't know what Feigan was saying that after White we have enough... Unless Dwight will take a million dollar pay cut?

20. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

Feigen hasn't begun to study the cap like Bima. Wouldn't trust what he says about it. If he is repeating what he was told he may have misunderstood. There is absolutely not enough money for howard without releasing additional players. The Rockets know this and that's why Ohlbrecht and Anderson were yanked from summer league. They have already been told and are probably looking for other options in vegas.

Plus simply do the math.

They guaranteed Covington 150K that's more than Ohlbrecht and Anderson are guaranteed. so lets start with him

1. Covington
    2. Howard
    3. Casspi
    4. Garcia
    5.Asik
    6. Beverly
    7. Smith
    8. TJones
    9. DMo
    10. Harden
    11. Lin
    12. Parsons
    13. Reggie W.
    14. Canaan

There's only roster spot remaining so even if they didn't need to release both guys they would have to release one or release one of Beverly smith or Covington. Releasing Covington cost them 150k, not a lot but if they intended to release him it would have been better to never sign him. Plus we have 3 centers and Morey just signed Reggie Williams to replace Anderson. So those guys are history. The roster is probably set and Morey is leaving the last spot open for one great pickup he might find later down the road.