1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Yahoo] How David Stern destroyed the Lakers with the Chris Paul trade veto

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by TheRealist137, Jul 13, 2013.

1. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/david-stern-destroyed-lakers-chris-185915155.html

Pretty crazy. I am sure Lakers fans have a legitimate beef with David Stern.

They could have had the best PG in the NBA, and still would have been able to acquire Dwight for Bynum. The Lakers would have never had to rebuild as Dwight would have surely stayed in LA to play with Paul.

2. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

Gordan Dragic

3. cyntil8ing

cyntil8ing Member

...or Chris Paul could've said Jim Buss is incompetent and Kobe refuses to let CP play the point and takes his talent to Houston. Paul then uses his influence on Howard to get him here.

That article doesn't really address the issues plaguing LA's management and Kobe. They failed to convince Howard as they would have eventually CP3.

Welcome CP3 and Howard. All roads lead to Houston.

1 person likes this.
  4. Rocketboi

Rocketboi Member

dear david stern,

thank you so much for that decision. that decision is going to win us a championshipin the near future. That veto got us James Harden. the next best shooting guard in the league. seriously, I wish you could read this. Thank you so damn much.

5. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

hehehe whiny Laker b****es

6. Glenyo

Glenyo Member

thankgod we should be happy that David Stern vetoed it. we wouldnt of not gotten james harden and dwight howard

7. jocar

jocar Member

Veto power!

[​IMG]

8. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

David Stern, from the shadows, looking out for his secret favorite franchise, The Houston Rockets! Clutch City Severus Snape. He was on our side the whole time!

9. Clips/Roxfan

Clips/Roxfan Member

**** the lakers...

1 year later...

Rox winners

Clippers winners

Hornets winners

Lakers losers......

I'm happy with the decision...

10. Swishh

Swishh Member

The average Laker fan doesn't even realize that Stern had a LEGIT reason to veto the trade, and that's because the Hornets were owned by the league at the time and they were looking to sell them as well.

On the contrary, if the Rockets got Gasol in that trade, who knows if we would have got Harden or Howard as well....

11. GameChanger

GameChanger Member

rockets, clippers, and hornets are winners on paper, but havent won anything yet.

hornets had cp3 and got to the 2nd round with him, but could not find a 2nd super star. i would be pissed if i was a NO's fan

im a rockets fan, but i think the clippers will have a better reg season record and win a best of 7 series. rockets needed j smith imo. i think he would have taken 4 years and 48 M (no state income taxes and playing on a contender). dh12 was also the best man at his wedding. my understanding is the rockets didnt even give him an offer. i think t jones will become a solid/good rotational player in the NBA, but the rockets do not have time to develop him. they need to win now. the window to win the NBA is very short. dh12 can opt out after 3 years...

12. GameChanger

GameChanger Member

harden was amazing last year. no doubt top 5 SG in the nba last year, maybe even as high as top 3. however, any chance it was a 1 year wonder? t evans avg 20 pts, 5 rebs, and 5 ast his rookie year and everyone expected him to become the next super star as well. 3 years later. he is a solid player, but not even an all star...

i want harden and the rockets to win it all, but im just saying

13. W22_STREAK

W22_STREAK Member

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

The Lakers ended up getting Nash Kobe Gasol Dwight all on the same team. Any course of action that resulted in those 4 HOF's on the same team is now accused of "destroying" the franchise?

And CP3 wouldn't be CP3 on that Lakers team. Nash was putting up all-star numbers in the seasons prior to joining the Lakers. So was Dwight. Now look at those 2 dwindle in LaLaLand

14. W22_STREAK

W22_STREAK Member

But a big shout out to David Stern. I love you David Stern for your veto!!

15. el gnomo

el gnomo Member

16. konver5ation

konver5ation Member

You're very wrong here.

Dwight isn't similar to Kobe the way that CP3 actually is. Dwight is closer to Blake Griffin and that's why Blake and Paul had issues last year. Kobe would welcome someone as tenacious, serious, and cold-blooded as Paul, qualities that Dwight lacks, which cost Kobe's respect for him.

Kobe respect fiery players with talent. That's why he loves Rondo. Article is correct and we all know it. We owe Stern a retirement party at the very least.

17. cw3k

cw3k Member

If both Kobe and Paul each get a basketball, then it will work. If Lakers did land Paul in in 2011, it will has the same problem as Harden/Lin except bigger. The different is Kobe/Paul are equally big star while Harden is a bigger star than Lin. Lin has no bargaining problem if Harden have the ball all the time.

18. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

Stern also got them Pau Gasol for Kwame Brown. Hell, they upgraded Bynum to Dwight for a protected 1st rounder and a conditional 2nd rounder.

19. conquistador#11

can we go back and look at the messages in the thread where people were pissed that he veto'd that trade. Just shows you how much we easily knee jerk. Never enjoyed the idea of giving up gogi and luifa for an aging gasol. Not only that, we were doing all the heavy lifting for L.a. That was the only time I wanted to hit maury upside the head with a chancla.

my commissar stern,
    we kneel before you.

20. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

I don't know about that. I think Kobe likes fiery guy with talent who are clearly not as good as him. I think he much prefers to win titles with Pau Gasol, a clear second banana, than with Shaq, or Howard or Paul.