1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why we must keep Omer Asik

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by OmerAsik3, Jul 11, 2013.

?

Should we keep Omer Asik

Poll closed Oct 19, 2013.
  1. Yes

52.9%
  2. No

7.3%
  3. Try it until all-star break

39.8%
  1. Ashes

Ashes Member

"Why should we keep Omer? Because that's what I made my username!!"

2. haven

haven Member

Eh, you're counting on the downside to Asik, but not those on your list. Sanders plays out of control. Bogut and Chandler are injured too often.

Cousins...if we're talking present value...I have no idea why Cousins is on this list. He's a liability at the moment.

3. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

Keep Asik. Guys that can rebound like a demon and protect the paint are very hard to find. Winning cures everything, so hopefully he will get on with the program.

Morey is super smart and he realizes the above, so unless we get some super talent in return, he will not let go of Asik.

4. xlr817

xlr817 Member

Keep Asik to try to win it all! We need his strong presence as a rim protector! DW12 has to get a breather once in a while!:cool:

5. apcgamb24

apcgamb24 Member

If you're counting Duncan as a center, he's the best in the NBA. Gasol and Howard are close second and third. But yes, Asik is not a top 5 center yet

6. Rox23

Rox23 Member

Next year of Asik's contract he will get paid a lot more than this year; and other teams know this. The time to trade therefore is now, where the other team would be able to get the most of out Asik for their money. Forget all-star break. If the Rox don't trade Asik by the start of the season they are not trading him--because money-wise it wouldn't make sense. Do you think teams would want to sign Asik to a one-year $15 million deal?

7. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

Weren't we running Smith and Asik for a while and had some success with it? We had to stop during the playoffs but I felt that was more of a match up issue.

8. roslolian

roslolian Member

LULZ what? Put down the pipe, bro. I agree Asik isn't top 5 but he's better than Lopez, Cousins and Chandler. Lopez got a lot of stats because he's playing in the east, if he was really good then the Nets would have got further then they did considering they have JJ, Wallace and D-Will on the team. Chandler is exactly like Asik but older, Cousins has no defense at all.

Howard
    (TD)
    Gasol
    Hibbert
    Noah
    Horford

9. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

We could really use Omer for depth in the regular season, but in the playoffs it becomes inefficient to have so much invested in a guy who will likely only play 15 minutes per game. In the playoffs you max out Dwight's minutes. Who suffers? Omer. And if we were to trade him at the trade deadline for comparable return at another position, we would be maximizing our chances to do well in this year's playoffs. Which we should definitely be doing since we are contenders as of now.

10. OmerAsik3

OmerAsik3 Member

thxxxx

thxxx

11. OmerAsik3

OmerAsik3 Member

actually yea teams will look at jefferson and birdries from gw

12. rinklob

rinklob Member

Okay first let's talk about Lopez, because you're objectively wrong there. Lopez was easily the best offensive center in the NBA last year, and his defense was vastly improved from his old (deserved) bad reputation. Sure he didn't rebound as much as Asik, but the Nets were still great at rebounding because he's solid at boxing out and the Nets had great rebounders beside him to mask that. But the offensive gap between Lopez and Asik alone is so vast of a canyon that Asik could do one of his ballerina bricked reverse layups in it without touching a side. Lopez >>>>>>>>> Asik.

You're just actually wrong on Lopez, but I could see the argument for Asik > Cousins or Chandler. I'd disagree (especially in Chandler's case; Tyson is one of the better finishers and PNR centers in the league and their defense/rebounding is comparable), but I could see your point.

13. OmerAsik3

OmerAsik3 Member

his not top 10? then go tell me who is?

14. hubeijames

hubeijames Member

Lopez is an overpaid joke. Did you even watch our games vs. the Nets last season? How the hell does the best offensive center in the league get outscored by Omer ****ing Asik?

15. OmerAsik3

OmerAsik3 Member

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wpvLE17f84w

16. OmerAsik3

OmerAsik3 Member

how is Noah better than Asik?

17. seahawk

seahawk Member

Finally an AOF.
    Welcome.

18. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Omer is more valuable as a trade asset, imo.

Morey will get value for him.

DD

19. felixng2012

felixng2012 Member

Good god you are an idiot. Not only was your tier list one of the worst I have ever seen but this post....

20. RickyNewport

RickyNewport Member

If Asik wanted a back up role, he could have stayed in Chicago. He's entering his prime playing years playing for his last big contract. Can't blame him for not wanted to be a backup and Morey can't make him stay. Especially when Asik agreed to come to a team going no where.