1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I'll save you the trouble regarding Lin.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Panda23, Jul 7, 2013.

1. Killer Korgi

Killer Korgi Member

Lin is a decent player but like Phillyrocket said, he is definitely overpaid for this contract, especially when the poison pill kicks in. Why do you think all the S&T for Lin and Asik can't be done because of Lin's ugly contract?

For all those people saying Lin will improve greatly next year, I'm sure Morey has taken that into account in his STATS analysis (he said in an interview that if the Rockets remained unchanged with last season's roster, they will only win ~5 extra games), which still doesn't justify the price of his contract.

I see Lin as a great sixth man for the Rockets as long as he doesn't lose any confidence coming off the bench because our starting lineup needs to be as full of good outside shooters who can knock down threes from a Harden/Howard dish out (not saying Beverley is the solution either).
    1. Our bench lacks a slasher who can create shots for himself as well for the new shooters we signed (Garcia, Casspi)
    2. Lin will still share minutes with Harden, but the majority of his minutes will be spent by himself with the ball in HIS HANDS, allowing him to showcase his offensive skillset. He'll be like how James Harden was in OKC, coming in with 3-4 minutes left in the first quarter and bringing a second surge offensively. There is absolutely no shame in that if he can average 25-30 minutes a game being a sixth man and remaining in the end of the game/clutch situations.

1 person likes this.
  2. charlieaustin

charlieaustin Contributing Member

Don't do it Philly...don't take the bait. Let this thread die! The same thing has been discussed over and over and over and over.

3. RocketSuperman

I personally like Jeremy Lin. I'm not completely convinced he is a starting Championship PG. I think if he would work on being more tough and consistent overall especially on defense, he could develop into one.

4. ed_tx

ed_tx Contributing Member

True. Media hype has a lot to do with the resentment. But it wasn't all hype. Very few players have ever done what Lin did during Linsanity. The question is, we've had other players who have been overhyped and overpaid. So why not the same hate for them? Matt Maloney and Kelvin Cato quickly come to mind and while some people lamented their contracts, there was never so much nonsensical hate directed towards them. What's different about Lin???

1 person likes this.
  5. mylilpony

mylilpony Member

It is a touchy subject here because Gogi could have been signed for a contract similar to that, but Lin got it based on a small sample size that generated a lot of hype.

Jeremy had a decent season and is a good pg, but he is hard to justify his contract which means he is a devaluing asset. He probably won't look good this year to any team, so we might be stuck with him. Next year he's an expiring contract that gets paid a buttload, but he could be flipped.

6. seahawk

seahawk Member

Can't win with facts?:confused:

7. IPSAC

IPSAC Member

lin fans will take underrated side and intelligent basketball fans will take the overrated side.

1 person likes this.
  8. GoRox2013

GoRox2013 Member

Ermy is a backup pg at best. No hate just stating the obvious;)

1 person likes this.
  9. ed_tx

ed_tx Contributing Member

No hate- I like Beverley. But unlike the Lin haters, I'm backing up my points with stats. Look at the summer league game tonight... Bev had more fouls than assists again... Against guys we haven't even heard of. But everyone wants him to be our starting PG next season?

10. charlieaustin

charlieaustin Contributing Member

Is this a competition?

11. jackycool

jackycool Member

No more Lin threads please, this is getting ridiculous.

12. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Since when did we start taking what a player does in summer league so seriously?

13. seahawk

seahawk Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Will always be underrated or overrated. Currently under. Lots more than can fit RT <a href="https://twitter.com/pp1029">@pp1029</a>: <a href="https://twitter.com/Jonathan_Feigen">@Jonathan_Feigen</a> what is your assessment of Lin?</p>&mdash; Jonathan Feigen (@Jonathan_Feigen) <a href="https://twitter.com/Jonathan_Feigen/statuses/354684855243644929">July 9, 2013</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

1 person likes this.
  14. T-Yao

T-Yao Member

I don't know, that's what i think the hate is from. I personally like Jeremy. Do you know why?

15. kcd

kcd Member

What S&T? Stop making things up.

16. seahawk

seahawk Member

Because CF needs to have 5 active threads about Lin at the front page.
    Without the hate, LOF will be talking to themselves.

/s

1 person likes this.
  17. pwnyxpress

pwnyxpress Contributing Member

Yeah no. More likely other side is true, just because those who say Lin is the worst PG of all time (or at least act like it) rarely seem to have much knowledge about stats at all. They're basing it off of "truthiness" or gut feelings, or randomly watching a game here or there. It is like foregoing 5000 user reviews about a product in favor of your neighbor's opinion on it.

1 person likes this.
  18. apcgamb24

apcgamb24 Member

Well to be fair, Lin and Dragic are similar level PGs. Could be argued he was actually better than Dragic cause they both put up similar stats except Lin played alongside ball dominant 2. And Lin is two years younger so I think Morey made the right decision. I don't personally think either are overpaid though in this financial climate.

19. RickyNewport

RickyNewport Member

No one hates Lin, people hate his obsessive fans. Lil sister annoying.

1 person likes this.
  20. pwnyxpress

pwnyxpress Contributing Member

I think it is too. The examples ed tx noted are from a different era. People are much more "gratification now" today and media information and hype is wayyyy more played up in 2013 than it was decades ago. Lot more posters and people who read and comment.