1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I'll save you the trouble regarding Lin.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Panda23, Jul 7, 2013.

1. King1

King1 Contributing Member

The people saying "Give him another year and if he doesn't work out just trade him" are clueless as to the Rockets situation. He's already a tough trade as is; next year he will be completely unmovable if he plays as inconsistently as he did last season because of the 15 million dollar poison pill. This team doesn't need to be paying 8 mil a year for a player of Lin's caliber. It's amusing how people keep bringing up the Heat winning with Mario Chalmers at PG and fail to see this. The Heat are exactly the type of team the Rockets are trying to build. Superstars surrounded by cheap roles players (see the great resigning of Garcia and letting Delfino walk). Lin is a role player that makes 8.3 million dollars.

2. King1

And praised too much by his fans (on the court). He definitely deserves the off the court accolades

3. Panda23

Panda23 Member

I prefer Lin over Dragic and Lowry. Lin's got a higher ceiling imo while Dragic seems to be maxed out, Lowry was a malcontent with regards to McHale and that was delt with correctly. I don't think his contract is bad, but I'm not considering the monetary benefits associated with Lin's offcourt presence. But when you look at what a Jameer Nelson, Devin Harris or whatever has made previously, its definately not out of line to think Lin belongs in that tier of PG's.

I have no concerns over the playoffs. We got blitzed in the first game against one of the most athletic defenses out there, and frankley Westbrook is a nightmare matchup for all pointguards, not just Lin. He was screwed either way frankley. He played, was obviously not healthy enough to even shoot the ball without pain, but if he didn't play, its how its back to back injured playoffs or whatever. He shouldn't have played. He was injured and thats it.

I agree with you about Bev/Parsons. The dichotomy between the backups salary and the starters (Lins) seems to fuel the issue of talent vs value. Beverley is great at his role, and is on a very favourable contract, but that shouldn't denigrate what Lin does as a PG, Beverley is perhaps better value, but more to do with Morey.

I really hope he stays with us, because with his work ethic and talent level i think he can be a very good foil to Harden, especially in the PnR with Dwight. I'd expect him to go up another gear from last season, which was good barring the injury affected start/finish.

4. Caris

Caris Member

All great points. THANK YOU.
    People forget that Lin only pocketed 5 million last season. Even if you use the cap figure, it's still a reasonable contract.

Structure of Lin's contract makes him one of the best bargains - http://www.sportingnews.com/nba/fee...houston-rockets-contract-bargain-nba-playoffs
    Jeremy LIn's contract in perspective - http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/48033/jeremy-lins-contract-in-perspective

5. brantonli24

brantonli24 Member

Somebody did make the good point that ultimately, the owner needs to sign off on the deal. Any team receiving Lin with only his final year as a contract will in effect be paying him $15 million, and it will be tough for the GM to sell the owner on paying a guy 15 mill when the cap savings are only going to be $8.3 million.

6. Panda23

Panda23 Member

The point is, the focus should be in respect to how the contract influences the capspace of the team, and how it should impact the ability to sign/trade for whatever.

If you're going to go down that route, i find it VERY difficult to believe that Lin would not generate AT LEAST the difference through marketing revenues or whatever.

7. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

Well stated Old Man! I personally like Lin both as a player and as a person (his attitude/morals) but honestly sometimes I wish we would trade him. He is such a divisive player on this board that sometimes I don't want to even peek into the garm after a game. I fondly remember when this forum wasn't hellbent on giving every
    member an ulcer!!...:(

#207 BamBam, Jul 9, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2013
  8. Merovingian

Merovingian Member

I reckon this Panda is oz so you can expect a little bit of that

1 person likes this.
  9. Merovingian

Merovingian Member

I think thats not true. First, the 3 years of his contract he is paid 5 million, 5.2 million, and 14.8 million USD respectively, not 8.3 mill like you said

10. haoafu

haoafu Contributing Member

Just a simple question: How much would you pay Parsons if he can opt out of his contract now? How much would he get paid on the market?

According Morey's interview's, Lin has slightly better or equal production towards winning than Parsons last season. And Lin is at the same age as Parsons.

11. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

1. We have Harden and Howard now. We need a pg with two strengths - 3 points shooting, defense, and passing. Everything else is gravy. If that is not Lins strengths, or he can't do it, then we need a different point guard. It's as simple as that. He is the wrong point guard for our personal.
    2. I agree he is improving, but he is still way too inconsistent.
    3. It's average on a very bad defensive team. That's not saying much. PB is clearly a superior defender. Lin stays in front of his man, true - well, for the most part as quicker guards blow by him a lot. Issue is that HE DOES NOT PUT ANY PRESSURE ON THE BALL. That's what separates out good defenders from mediocre ones. He is mediocre.

He has weaknesses and the question isn't whether or not JLin can be a good point guard, it's just a question of whether or not he is the RIGHT FIT for our team as currently constructed. I am simply saying, if he shoots 40% from 3 point land - which is doable if he focuses on improving in that area, he can be a fit. Otherwise, we are probably better off with PB as the starter and moving Lin for other players that can fit with the team, and signing a Gibson (A career 41% 3 point shooter) as a back-up.

12. kastuul

kastuul Member

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/OGWHBEcMfdM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

That pass is so Steve Nash.

13. Panda23

Panda23 Member

I would assume around the same level as Nic Batum. From memory i think it was 4yrs 44 million?

14. pnr

pnr Member

So we won 45 games with Lin in the starting lineup with a team that was in its first year playing together. In the West. Why change things? Unless the team is not meeting expectations, I expect the starting lineup to stay the same.

15. King1

All three years count against the cap 8.3 million. No owner in basketball is going to eat 15 million on the last year of his deal unless he plays the entire season like a superstar. That's why the time to trade him is now or he is going to finish his contract as a Rocket.

16. kcd

kcd Member

You can't have it both ways, you either count him at this cap rate of 8.3 or his actual pay at 5/5/15. And most teams will count him at this cap rate because that's what will determine what moves they can make under the cap.

17. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Not really true. While he'll only count 8.3 against the cap, a lot of the small market teams WILL be bothered by the fact that he costs them $15 million in the third year, regardless of his cap hit.

Take Charlotte for example. They would be unhappy paying him $15 million when the full $15 million didn't get to work towards the salary floor for them.

18. solo241

solo241 Member

I was under the impression that the poison pill last year only applies to the team with the option to match (ie Knicks). For the Rockets and anyone we subsequently trade him to, cap hits would operated using a straight line method (ie evenly all three years).

19. kcd

kcd Member

But then you have people say he is overpaid because his cap hit is 8.3, when he is only actually getting paid 5 million, which is on the low end of what starting pg's get paid. You can't have it both ways that's what I meant.

Probably some other teams won't want to pay that $15, but at the same time their cap is not hit at that rate so they can make other moves.

20. tomato123

tomato123 Rookie

PB cannot do defense without get into foul issue.