1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Delfino closing in on 3 year deal with Bucks (Per Stein)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rockets_12, Jul 7, 2013.

1. batkins

batkins Contributing Member

Tough to see him go. I'll always remember his one season with the Rockets.

2. LelWestbrick

LelWestbrick Rookie

The money for roleplayers like Delfino is a big difference, especially if you're nearing the end of your career. If your net worth is 100m you're basically set and having fun and chasing rings probably matters more to you. Think ring chasing superstars late in their careers like Ray Allen.

For a dude like Delfino walking away from 6 or 7 million or whatever the figure would be is very big.

3. Yao4REAL

Yao4REAL Member

Okay...now we need someone to shoot as well as Delfino. This dude shoot 3pt like he's shooting FTs.

4. acjeitherocket

he'll never see the playoffs again (while he's there). but good for him

he will be missed indeed.

5. conquistador#11

we got uglier by losing delfino, but the addition of casspi gives us the face lift to be the best looking team in the league.

6. GameChanger

GameChanger Member

the bucks made the playoffs last year. top heavy east but 7th and 8th seeds are always up for grabs. i dont expect the celtics to make it this year

7. Rockets590

Rockets590 Rookie

Can we clutchfans agree to give him an applause when rockets face him next season

8. Marsarinian

Marsarinian Contributing Member

The difference in money and job security (3 years versus two) obviously played a factor, but I think the most important thing is that Morey was reluctant on spending the entire room exception on Delfino (our most competitive offer, event then that's 1 million + less than what the Bucks offered) when he's out with a significant injury until December. Morey opted for the cheaper, more flexible option of signing Casspi. Plus we already have Garcia.

I don't think it's fair to call Carlos "greedy" or only chasing after money. It's quite possible that he would have taken the full room exception if we had offered it to him (whether we did or not, I have no idea). Besides, it's a business and you can't fault a player for making the choice that's in his best financial interest.

9. pollaxt

pollaxt Contributing Member

Delfino has earned $18,277,037 over 8 seasons.

Garcia has earned $28,461,254 over 8 seasons.

While that is a ton of money, Garcia's extra $10 million in salary makes it whole lot easier for him to give Houston a discount and stay with the team.

10. bandwagon

bandwagon Member

The signing of both Garcia and Casspi made it painfully obvious that the Rockets had no intention of using their MLE for Delfino. It's silly how some people in this thread are blaming Delfino for "rejecting" the Rockets, when it fact it was the Rockets that rejected him.

11. clubberclyde

clubberclyde Member

Damn! Loved Carlos. Classy dude and great shooter.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/-w6m-nhUcos" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

12. fuzzy88

fuzzy88 Member

Agreed!
    At least Rockets probably didn't want to commit to a 3-year deal. At 30 years old, I can understand why he would go with a 3-year deal instead.

I like Carlos a LOT, but he doesn't fit in the young core player strategy. Given McHale's ability to get the youngest team in NBA to such height last year, I won't be surprised if another no-name rookie or sophomore shows up big next year.

As for 3-pt efficiency, Carlos definitely can shoot the lights out. However, with D12 in the middle (and hopefully with a few new moves learned from Hakeem this summer), the 3-pt efficiency will improve, hopefully substantially.

That said, because D12 (and Asik as backup) is such a prolific rebounder, it may make sense to shoot more mid-range 2's instead of 3's. Midrange 2's give short rebound (on a miss), easier for D12 to pull in the ball than long rebounds from 3's.

In any case, I'll miss Carlos!!!

13. ttdestroyer

ttdestroyer Member

[​IMG]

Its done~!

The 3rd year is a team option that could go upwards of 9million.

I first noticed Delfino from his play on the Bucks, wonder if he still gots digs there?

14. rumelian

rumelian Member

Hey Carlos ,

Appreciate what you did for the Rockets in our rebuilding year man.Means a lot.Good luck in Bucks.

P.S. Tell Ersan to come here :)

15. SSP365

SSP365 Member

LMFAAAOOO i visit a lot of opposing team message boards and i swear clutchfans have the best gif makers. that dwight howard 1mill view thread is perfect example.

16. Jharden13

Jharden13 Member

All the best Carlos..

17. charles_zed

charles_zed Member

Carlos was fun, but not too concerned with his loss. Best of luck to him in Milwaukee, and hopefully they expand his role a bit more after seeing his play in Houston.

18. Matt78777

Matt78777 Contributing Member

good luck carlos...

And what exactly is Milwaukee doing? Talk about a team with no direction. Any time you make it as a 8th seed and you have a chance to let your starting SG walk for nothing, sign Pachulia, Mayo and Delfino, you gotta do it. Right?

19. Codman

Codman Contributing Member

We're gonna miss his shooting next season. You can bet on it. I love Cisco, but he may not have the Swag and consistency of Carlos.

It sucks that we couldn't keep him but had to pay a turd like Royce White and pay this Tim Olbrecht (I know I messed that up) guy money. I haven't followed him enough, but generally, he looks like a stiff. I wish we took Carlos over Omri, too.

Glad Carlos reignited his career in Htown though. He's a true hooper. best of luck...maybe Morey can grab him at the trade deadline.