1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Lin will average nearly nine assists per game if he is the starter and doesn't get hurt

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by garfangle, Jul 7, 2013.

Tags:
  1. rj3000

rj3000 Member

Turnovers will go down. Those beautiful passes to Asik that were dropped counted as turnovers. Howard won't drop them.

2. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Compare Lin and Lowrys per game stats, advanced stats, shooting percentages. Looks to me Lowry is leading most of them and he averaged less minutes.

I'm not discussing potential or anything else just bottom line production last season.

3. thisiscaketown

To be fair, Derrick Rose was cleared medically about 3 months ago, but he's still rehabbing to get his full explosiveness back.

4. apcgamb24

apcgamb24 Member

Lowry was 11.6 ppg, 6.4 apg, 41% FG

Lin 13.4 ppg, 6.1 apg, 44% FG

But yes Lowry's per 36 and 3PT was higher.

Although I'm pretty sure Lin can get to 37-38% 3PT this year as he was doing that for the latter half of the season. And that % was higher than Lowry's 36% last year.

5. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Yeah and Lowry had a better TS%, AST%, TOV%, Ortg, WS/48.

But you are right Lin still has an opportunity to improve. All I was doing was pointing out the error in the other guys post. He said the one guy didn't look at stats when it's pretty obvious he in fact was the one who was mistaken statistically.

6. pwnyxpress

pwnyxpress Contributing Member

Maybe that was a bad one to quote the guy on. He seemed to me just to be trolling not just due to that post alone in this thread, but the one above it as well. It was a double post of just troll-like LOH behavior lol.

But sure, I'll look at advanced stats for Lowry and Lin this past season.

Lowry: 11.6 PPG, 6.4 assists, 1.4 stls, 40% FG%, 36.2% 3 pt%
    Lin: 13.4 PPG, 6.1 assists, 1.6 stls, 44% FG%, 33.9% 3 pt%

Both have very similar FT%'s (within 1% of each other). Both have around 54% TS%.

Now per 36 minutes, their numbers still look pretty similar, w/ Lowry at 14 PPG and Lin at 15 PPG. Lowry beats Lin in rebounding, Lin beats Lowry in steals. Both have a lot of TOs, w/ Lin having a bit more (per 36 minutes, 2.8 vs. 3.2 TOs). They both also have the same usage rate at 20%. Even their DRating is practically the same (106 vs. 107).

So jeez, even time adjusted, they seem to be pretty similar. I wouldn't say Lowry does a lot better than Lin or vice versa.

I would still choose Lin in this scenario. Why? Because even though both were injured/coming off injury during this past season (both near the beginning of the season no less), Lin is younger w/ fewer yrs in the league and thus more upside.

I also prefer Lin's season progression. He started off atrocious, either due to new role, new team, nagging ACL injury or a combination, and posted terrible figures: 10 PPG, 6.4 assists, but on 37% FG shooting and 27% from 3 pt range in his first full month. But after he got used to the team and Rockets staff reported that he was fully healed? From all star break on till the end of the season, he averaged 15 PPG, 6 assists on 44% FG shooting and 38% from 3 pt range.

Lowry? The opposite. He started out hot w/ 16 PPG, 5 assists on 41% FG shooting and 36.7% from 3 pt range. His last few months? Averaging around 10 PPG, 7 assists on 38% FG shooting (ouch) and around 34-35% from beyond the arc.

So who would you choose?

1 person likes this.
  7. robrhodes

robrhodes Member

If he improves his shooting and limits his turnovers I will be happy with that. I could see his skill set thriving in this offense and I have him averaging around 7 apg. I hope he's worked hard on his shooting we are going to need defenses to respect that j.

8. pwnyxpress

Read over my above post and let me know where it is "pretty obvious" that I was the one who was mistaken statistically. But yes, my quote of benchmoochie was a bit misleading --I hadn't meant for it to be a critique of Lowry vs. Lin, but rather that poster's general flaming of Lin based on his posts.

9. benchmoochie

benchmoochie Contributing Member

look at my join date. I've been watching rockets since they had Granville waiters and Pete chilcutt for 3. I was car surfing on Richmond when the rockets took it in 1993-1994.

as far as LOH don't even know what that means. I'd rather have Lowry bc he's an expiring, plays harder on the ball defensive and is I think a better fit.

10. benchmoochie

you gonna call me a troll just because I didnt post a bunch of backup like you did in your post. I'm a contributing member a few times. I hardly call that a troll. I could call you a post w**** but I didnt.

11. pwnyxpress

omg a 2003'er? My apologies, you clearly can't be wrong then.

But jesting aside, your comment that Lin will disappear this upcoming season followed up by a quick comment on how you'd trade him is very LOH-like (Lin only Hater). I tend to just have very little patience w/ either camp (LOF vs. LOH). If that wasn't your intent, then sorry, but I just don't see on what basis you would say Lin will disappear this upcoming season. There just isn't much to back it up.

12. benchmoochie

furthermore the trying to predict stats of LIN this year is absurd because the roster addition of Dwight and the composition of roster is different. it's comparing two different teams and taking into different assumptions. example. rotations , speed of play, well be different. I laugh at these prediction threads. but if you want to look at it money wise and regards the cap I'd rather have Lowry bc he's an expiring and would provide comparable play to that of LIN for this team

13. pwnyxpress

Are you asking me if I am going to call you a troll because you post unsubstantiated comments that are strongly biased and without support? Hm, yeah, I sorta am.

You can call me a post w**** if you want. It seems like it could be quite valid. Not sure why that is supposed to be particularly offensive though.

Your last two posts have changed my mind on you trolling though. I now think you might not be, and are just from an older generation that missed out on the subtle connotations given off by your earlier posts in the great LOF vs. LOH debate that has been raging on the boards for the past yr.

Another reason I assume you're from an older generation (besides your revealing comments about car surfing) is the sense of entitlement you have from titles like "contributing member" or having registered in 2003. I'm sorry to say that Gen Y and younger probably don't confer the same level of deference to hierarchy as you might still expect :(

14. apcgamb24

apcgamb24 Member

Nice work. Actually sums it up pretty well. Both are comparable players but Lin is younger and has a more upward trend. And he's 3 years younger of course.

15. benchmoochie

LIN will disappear this season. ok disappear as in decline. I just don't see him ever producing the LINsanity stats again. that was a social time when he has the green light and was number one scorer. I see him having marginal improvement of stats or a small decline across the board in averages eventhough his 3% may go up.

16. Coob5

Coob5 Member

So tired of these LOF threads... They really take away from the intelligent dialogue and clutter up the board.

1 person likes this.
  17. pwnyxpress

I agree. I didn't make this thread. It does strike me as a bit silly, but I mean, most posters in the GARM are playing armchair GM. The foundation of half (or more) of what people talk about on the boards is "silly."

Your comments now about preferring Lowry vs. Lin sound fine to me. They're fair, and again, my original quote of THAT particular comment was probably more misleading than anything. I don't have a problem w/ Lin vs. Lowry debates. Those are very legitimate. I am actually pretty 50/50 on it myself. So that has sort of become a tangent that I inadvertently caused us to go on. My bad.

But since we're on it anyways, I will continue on this path. I still prefer Lin myself again due to his age, yrs of experience, and progression over the last few months. His stats and %'s were going up and up while Lowry's were going down and down. Factor in age and yrs in the league, anyone would have to assume that Lin has more upside (whether he gets to realize that potential is another matter). That, to me, is worth more than an expiring contract that is a bit less than Lin's $8.3M, esp. since we don't NEED to clear cap room anymore. Finally, I kind of like the notion of stability for our team. There's been so much roster overhaul the last few seasons...I sort of hope we get to keep a player and team intact for a few seasons so that they can grow together and get better, a la OKC or Spurs style.

18. pwnyxpress

I don't think he'll decline, but of course my base line is how Lin did over this whole past season, not Linsanity. Linsanity was 2 seasons ago and just a few months stretch. In a prediction thread about how Lin will do next yr (stats-wise), I assume everyone's baseline is in comparison to how he did this PAST season.

What I imagine is Lin will be a 14-15 PPG player, w/ 7 assists...44% FG% and 38% from 3 pt land. His TOs will still be high but again, a bit lower than this yr.

19. benchmoochie

this is my second account. I misplaced the password for my original account from 1999 and the email address is no longer valid so that's that. there's nothing wrong with contributing. you see the gsw bulletin board. that was weak!

but since your a stats person based on stats I'd rather have Lowry rather than LIN for next year bc the difference is marginal. we will be free of any salary commitment with Lowry after end of season
    that's all I'm saying

20. benchmoochie

I've got a great idea how bout you contribute $10 If LIN doesn't do better this year than he did last! what makes you so sure he's even on the roster after February