1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    Before the NBA playoffs resume Friday night, we're talking Rockets, including individual team awards. We're live NOW!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!

Is it still possible to sign Corey Brewer? Any room left?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by meekg, Jul 7, 2013.

1. meekg

meekg Member

I've heard lots of chatter that the Rockets are looking to sign Corey Brewer, but I was just going over the roster, and it seems that there would be no space for him.

I have the Rockets roster at Hardin, Lin, Parsons, Dwight, Asik, Jones, DMo, Anderson, Smith, Bev, Ohlbrecht, Covington, Cisco, Casspi, and Canaan.

That's 15 right there. Where would Brewer fit??

I know Canaan's technically not a guaranteed contract yet, but I figure the Rockets will sign him, as he was supposedly projected higher and is a PG.

I personally would like the Brewer addition; he seems like he can be a 3 and D guy. But where does he fit into the roster?

2. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

We have the Room Exception left, which means we can give up to a 2 year, $5.6 million contract. Not sure if that is enough for Brewer.

3. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

Excuse me, $5.2 million.

4. NotChandlerParsons

Anderson is most likely gone. Possibly Ohlbrecht.

5. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

can the room exception be used to sign canaan to a 4yr 'parsons' contract?

6. meekg

meekg Member

But does the Room Exception allow you to sign more than 15 players? I thought it just allowed you to go over the cap.

7. meekg

meekg Member

That Parsons contract is some stone cold magic right there. Hard to believe we can get that type of production for less than a mil per year, for four years, nonetheless.

8. benchmoochie

benchmoochie Contributing Member

Anderson
    olbrecht
    smith are non guar
    Covington is only 150k guar

1 person likes this.
  9. meekg

meekg Member

"They could bring back forward James Anderson, depending on the official salary-cap figure to be released Wednesday. Anderson is playing in the Rockets summer league with a non-guaranteed contract."

There's the rub. Anderson is not a guaranteed contract.

10. meekg

meekg Member

Thanks, bro. That explains it.

11. jacoby

jacoby Member

Corey Brewer will certainly get an offer in the $5-6 million range. I don't think we're getting him.

12. meekg

meekg Member

Yeah I guess if players like Martell Webster are getting $6 mil contracts, so will Brewer.

13. thisiscaketown

He doesn't. We already have a backup SG and SF.

14. meekg

meekg Member

I'm not that high on Casspi or Anderson, if that's what you mean. You think they'll be good enough to be part of the regular rotation? Cisco's solid, though.

15. utgrad97

utgrad97 Member

Corey Brewer is a figment of a good basketball player's fantasy. You look at the height and athleticism, but the stats don't back it up.

16. meekg

meekg Member

Stromile Swift incarnate?

17. benchmoochie

benchmoochie Contributing Member

I think morey is waiting till neat camp to see what do do with LIN. asik and this room exception. some scenarios are present later

18. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

Agree with the above post. You keep the room exception in case you need to sign a new PG or C if we do deal either Lin/Asik.

19. Benchwarmer

Benchwarmer Member

Honestly, I think we need a veteran PF in case Jones and D-Mo don't pan out. We can't just assume that they transformed into reliable 30-minute a game starting players over the summer.

Is Kenyon Martin still on the market?

20. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I don't know man... you're down 15 points going into the fourth... you stick in Brewer and Beverley because the starters are just not getting it done... they create steals, they run the floor, create some chaos and 7 minutes later it's a 7 point game.

Beverley & Brewer -- better call the police, errrbody gonna be gettin' robbed.

Might as well acquire Ronnie Brewer too and manufacture a lineup we dub the ex-cons.