1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

To the Ones that said Josh Smith wasnt getting 15-17 million

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Htownballer38, Jul 6, 2013.

1. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojYahooNBA now
    Josh Smith has agreed to a four year, $56 million deal with the Detroit Pistons, league sources tell Y! Sports.

You gents were right. Nobody paying dude a max deal worth 14-17 million. I was wrong.

2. Fair Dinkum

Fair Dinkum Member

Thank you. Where do I collect?

Twin Towers baby!

... People getting desperate. I'll wait for the Lin trade rumors to start soon.

3. OlajuwonFan81

OlajuwonFan81 Member

If he wanted to play for a team like Detroit sure he'd get the max. As far as a smart managed team like the rockets.........not a chance.

4. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

Hook you up with a 6 pack of your choice the next time I am at home pimpn..LOL

5. pwnyxpress

pwnyxpress Contributing Member

What? Unless my math is wrong, JSmith isn't being paid $15-17M his first yr...

6. Raven

Raven Member

That's an insane amount of money. The Hawks were smart to let him walk.

7. Chamillionaire

I can't believe they paid him that much. How are they going to pay both Drummond and Monroe.

8. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

9. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

We are not starting Asik and Dwight. Morey has already confirmed this.

10. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

I always thought it would take at least 15 mil and thought it was stupid to think he would sign for 8-12mil just stupid. But I also thought Garcia would never sign for the vet min. I also knew we were not signing Smith. I mean Morey said so or at least not as plan A with Howard. Smith was always plan B and I can assure Morey knew and was prpared to offer the same amount of Money as Detroit did. So don't call Detroit stupid. Morey would have been just as stupid and I would have been happy with it because it was next best move for the Rockets. Unfortunately it was a big drop between Howard and Josh Smith.

11. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

He did say they would experiment. And I think it is an experiment that will work 5-10 minutes a game brilliantly. That's 5 - 10 minutes more Asik on the floor.

12. pwnyxpress

Everyone here realizes that Smith did NOT sign for $15M the first yr of a 4 yr contract, right? That it is either a flat $14M a yr, or, more likely the standard $13.1M w/ 4.5% raises?

Just saying, people here talking as if the ones who said Smith would not sign for $12M are obviously wrong and those who said Smith would sign only for $15M+ are obviously right. Both seem about equally wrong/right to me...lol.

13. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

When talking about contract value, most of the time it is referred to the average annual amount.

14. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

He is getting 14 Mil and some change pimpn. Plus each year he gets a raise, so it will reach 15 and some. But jokers were arguing that no team would pay him that type of money. And the Pistons just did. LOL

15. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Just becuse he is getting it doesn't meanhe deserves it. Teams do stupid sh** all the time.

16. pwnyxpress

Right, which would be $14M in this case. Why are those that said $12M that different from those that said $15M?

Besides, is it most of the time people talk about average annual amount? I don't think so -- I think people refer to the first yr amount (when number of yrs not written afterwards). That's just for practical purposes, i.e., how much of this yr's cap that player will eat up.

So I assume when someone says JSmith will not sign for $14M...they mean 1) $14M THIS upcoming season (so first yr of contract) or 2) $14M a yr for x number of yrs. The latter is quite possible, but I personally tend to assume (maybe incorrectly), the former.

17. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

Well the Pistons think he deserve it. We will see how he performs going forward.

18. pwnyxpress

No, he probably WILL get a raise each yr, but that means his first yr must then be $13M. The raise is 4.5% each yr, and if it is a 4 yr $56M deal, it means this yr it is ~$13M. If it is a flat contract or the average annual amount (doubtful it is structured that way), then it is $14M a yr, which still isn't $15M lol, which would make the 'jokers' correct.

In other words, Pistons are paying JSmith $13-14M ish, which makes those who said $12M about equally correct as those who said $15M+, right?

Those who said like $10M or less were way off their rockers though.

19. haven

haven Member

Remember when people thought Joe Dumars knew what he was doing?

20. BEAT LA

BEAT LA Member

They were going to give him $15 million per season.

I knew he was gonna get paid. Even after Millsap signed, I knew $12 million would not be enough.

Detroit is stupid. This move will not sell any tickets for them.