1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Houston Rockets Salary Cap Update

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BimaThug, Jul 1, 2013.

1. GameChanger

GameChanger Member

i dont understand how teams like OKC who are over the cap and approaching the tax level can offer a mid level exception of over $5 M per hoopsworld.com. and the rockets can only over roughly $2.5 M exception

http://www.hoopsworld.com/oklahoma-city-thunder-team-salary

2. Fair Dinkum

Fair Dinkum Member

If you use your cap room to sign a player, you must waive your right to the MLE (5m?) and other exceptions. You are left with the Room Exception (2.6m) and Min. Contracts.

OKC are over the cap so they can't sign free agents outright like the rockets just did with Dwight. They are reliant on S&T, trades, Bird exceptions, Min. Exceptions, and the MLE... etc. to acquire new players.

3. Slam Dunk

Slam Dunk Contributing Member

That would be an amazing roster, but would the salaries match up for a S&T for Josh Smith with only Asik and Ohlbrecht?

4. GameChanger

GameChanger Member

cool and repped. i understand now. separate exception for tax paying teams too.

do you know how GS traded two players owned $24 M this year and only took back less than $1 M in salary lol? i know draft picks carry some weight too but GS sent picks to Utah

5. iconoclastic

iconoclastic Member

Another cap update, Bima?

6. Fair Dinkum

Fair Dinkum Member

Sorry, I don't know the particulars of that deal but I assume Utah had the cap room to sign the players (Beidrens and Jefferson)?

For example, assuming we are $20m under the cap, we could send Ohlbrecht and Anderson (about $2m) to Lakers for Dwight (20.5m). The trade is very uneven but because we got the cap room, we can absorb the difference. Lakers would also get a massive trade exception.

7. autoprt

autoprt Member

cap talk gives me a headache but i have little patience and it takes patience to go through the details of cap room.

8. GameChanger

GameChanger Member

cool. i think i get it. b. rush was included in that deal as well. crazy how GS dumped $24 M for just two first round picks and one second round pick. GS is definitely a playoff team if healthy as well, so the picks will not be high. stats for the three players utah acquired were not good last year. even if utah wants to tank, why take on $24 M worthless salary? doesnt make any sense

9. Fair Dinkum

Fair Dinkum Member

We would need to still clear Ohlbrecht's salary for Dwight's max so can't use him in a trade for J.Smith.

But assuming we waived Beverley or Smith instead then...

Asik (8.3) + Ohlbrecht (0.8?) = 9.1*150% = about 13.55m max we could offer Josh Smith.

Remember, Josh Smith got paid 13.2m last season and rejected an offer of 15m to stay with the Hawks but many people around here think he would take 12m to play for the Rockets on a contender. If these guys are right then we can tradevAsik straight up for him. Personally I think he's going to the Pistons for 14-15m.

Bring on the Twin Towers!
    T-Jones to have a break out season!

10. Fair Dinkum

Fair Dinkum Member

Again, I don't know the particulars because im not in the office right now.

Did they trade Bogut or something?

Utah may do this if the players its recieving are expiring contract (last year). In other words a one year rental so to speak until they are off the books. They probably given up on this year and hope to free lots of cap room to acquire free agents next year.

Teams have to maintain 90% of cap in committed salaries. You cant put a team on the floor that only costs you 10m.

11. GameChanger

GameChanger Member

http://www.hoopsrumors.com/2013/07/warriors-jazz-reach-trade-agreement.html

wow. 90%?!? cant be like the astros lol. i remember reading the minimum was like $40 M or something

12. smuduffy

smuduffy Member

How much could they offer if Lin was offered with asik?

Not sure if they have any PG we could take back.

13. Asian Sensation

Just call Eldridge Recasner, Moochie Norris and Mike James. Surely one of them should be available. Worst case scenario we can hit up Matt Maloney since he's still on our payroll.

14. Fair Dinkum

Fair Dinkum Member

Yeah, I remember a report saying they wouldn't trade Lin unless we get a starting PG back.

Anyways, I think the 150% matching rule applies here, so...

Asik + Lin = 16.7*150% = about 24m

No need to needlessly give away a talent like Lin.

15. Babalooga

Babalooga Member

We need to use the same logic for Josh Smith as we did for Dwight when it comes to income tax.

Michigan has a 4.25% income tax. Detroit has a 2.4% income tax.

http://www.detroitmi.gov/Department...DetroitIncomeTaxRates/tabid/1655/Default.aspx

http://www.bankrate.com/finance/taxes/state-taxes-michigan.aspx

So Josh Smith's possible salary of 15M will be reduced by 6.45% - so 14.0325M. Josh has to decide whether 0.5M is worth playing in Detroit or playing for a Championship contender in Houston. My vote is he chooses Rockets if we can work it out with Atlanta.

16. Fair Dinkum

Fair Dinkum Member

I just had a thought.

If Rockets offer a second round pick to Lakers in a S&T, does that mean we don't have to waive our full MLE and can stay above the cap?

Lakers would do it because they get a second round pick and a massive trade exception.

This way, we get to keep Anderson and Ohlbrect and get the full $5m MLE to sign Garcia and other role players.

Can anyone clarify?

1 person likes this.
  17. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

^ I like you're thinking.

18. basketballholic

This is a useless trade and nets us nothing. We would be better off to waive Ohlbrecht and Anderson and have a shot at re-signing them after we signed Dwight. All you are doing is gifting the Lakers a huge TPE with this trade.

19. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

I haven't attempted the math but Bima tweeted last night that Rockets had all the cap room needed to give D12 a full max with out having to cut anyone after the Royce White trade which cleared an additional 1.72 million in cap space.

20. meh

meh Contributing Member

I would say the quick and dirty update to be: We have no capspace now. It's filled to the top. But our super-cheap contracts like Anderson and Beverley are retained. Only room exception available for FAs unless we trade Lin or Asik(or another player but cap room savings would be minimal).