1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Josh Smith next in line?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by JD88, Jul 5, 2013.

1. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Per Bima Thug:
    FWIW, Hawks can't afford new deals with Millsap, Korver & Carroll AND cap holds for J.Smith & Teague. Gotta think Smith S&T is in the works.

2. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Reports from Feigen have suggested that the Rockets are only interested in Josh Smith if the price is right, and what they'd be willing to offer is much less than he's seeking. I don't think another move is imminent. We'll see.

3. JD88

JD88 Member

I think the best part about Smith that people always forget is, his ability to pass the ball. He's an excellent distributor, and him and Dwight in the paint would be a thing of beauty.

4. Roxlove

Roxlove Member

^^^
    | | |
    THIS

5. haven

haven Member

I don't get this, either. Josh Smith is at his worst when he plays far away from the basket. Pau Gasol, a player with more range, struggled next to Howard precisely because Howard stays glued to the paint. Smith isn't really a good match on the offensive end.

Not in favor of defying sound roster construction just to get a 3rd star.

6. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Good. I'd be fine with Smith for what Asik is making, but I have no interest in him at 10+ million. He's just not that good.

There's not another player out there that I think IS that good though either.

7. Knightrogen

Knightrogen Member

If you under the salary cap, you can sign FA with the amount of Free Cap space. Then once you go over the salary cap, you can only trade or sign players with exceptions. Then it is the luxury tax line, once you go over, you will pay taxes, big money.

Some people say there is a hard cap. Yes and No. Once you trigger the apron, then you are hard capped and roster will freeze and that is the situation in Chicago.

Salary cap and CBA is a study and science. You have to enroll in Harvard to get a taste of it. I just graduated. Take it eazy!:grin:

8. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

If they let Teague go then maybe a Lin for Smith deal followed by a Asik for Anderson deal?

Please o please o please

9. BEAT LA

BEAT LA Member

Starting at $10-11 million for 4 years would be fair.

10. TManiAC

TManiAC Member

After signing Millsap, why would Atlanta want Omer Asik?

11. Knightrogen

Knightrogen Member

Why? That is never going to happen.

12. Swishh

Swishh Member

With Hawks signing Milsap, I think this makes it a little more less likely they do a sign/trade of Asik for Smith now.

If they get Asik, they'd have Milsap,Horford, and Milsap. Doesn't make much sense. At this juncture, I think Andersen is more likely, although I don't really want him.

13. bloodwings19

bloodwings19 Member

Big difference between JSmoove and Soft (Gasol) is that, the name of the latter. Why do you think Kobe has always try to push Gasol?!?!?!?

14. Swishh

Swishh Member

fixed.

15. texansalltheway

i question Smith's demeanor

16. dragonz

dragonz Member

CALL CP3 NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

haha, jk, not a chance on CP, but man, is Josh Smith best for us? idk

17. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Why not? Maybe they like a large contingent on this board feel LInsanity will resume if Lin is used correctly? Maybe more teams will get involved, Detroit and Philly could use Lin and the Pistons were already rumored to be interested and then we have the Hinkie connection.

Smith is ideal for this team and is Dwight's buddy. Just the fact the second most valuable free agent has waited on Houston shows how enamored he is to play there. Ultimately if Smith wants to come here then Morey will find a way. IMO Morey knows that Asiks value is sky high and that Smith is in the bag if he wants him. If that's the case then why not leverage the Hawks for something lesser and use Asik in a straight up trade like for Anderson?

GS just got Iggy for a pile of crap. Why not Lin for Smith?

18. Knightrogen

Knightrogen Member

Throw a first rounder and we can talk this deal.

19. shortfuse3

shortfuse3 Member

I don't really want Josh Smith.

His offensive game is already limited, and now you want him to play with Dwight Howard who needs the entire paint to himself?

No thanks. Smith will be useless with Howard. Patterson would be a better fit.

20. Knickskiller

Knickskiller Member

in sailing it's called chasing wind shifts.