1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Daryl Morey Interview on July 2nd: Dwight, Lin, Asik

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by justtxyank, Jul 2, 2013.

1. pollaxt

pollaxt Contributing Member

Hopefully, a vastly improved Motiejunas with a more consistent 3pt shot.

2. typhooonn

typhooonn Member

If you believe that we get DH12 and keep both Lin & Asik, you get fooled ....

3. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

4. hooroo

hooroo Member

Did you believe Morey when he maintained his belief in T-Will's superstar potential to the media until the very bitter end? Morey is a card shark come trade time.

5. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

LOL.

Because you know Daryl... if he had placed even just one call shopping Asik or Lin, he definitely would have told us on the radio.

6. pnr

pnr Member

I know not to trust Morey.

7. BeardlyBeardman

I would agree that Omer coming off the bench to anchor the 2nd unit would be better than Josh Smith playing at the 4 with the starters. I think that's clearly what he's implying. Sound logic tbh.

Try it for a year and see how it works. Next year there will be another 4 available if you want to trade Asik ...

8. lwlee

lwlee Member

From what I heard, one of the selling points in the Dwight meeting was unlimited possibility of China, kinda strange to pitch that angle and then get rid of Lin.

Morey has always been super high on Asik. Asik was number one on his target list a year ago. So any deal with Asik would have to be a pretty big deal.

I don't think the 2 are untradeable but it would have to be a huge deal.

9. nono

nono Member

You posted just a day ago about how people should probably apologize to Deeks ? I only laughed when I read that.

I don't see why Morey is lying here so close to a potential trade. I'd trust Morey to be more honest to us than a reporter for sham sports.

10. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

Morey said when they were trying to create room for Dwight, they were fielding all calls, including interest in Lin and Asik. He said that must be why word is getting out that they are in trade talks.

11. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think Morey was probably dealing in semantics a little bit, too. Just because he wasn’t calling other teams offering Jeremy and Omer, doesn’t mean he wasn’t entertaining the calls coming in for them. “Actively shopping” and “listening to offers” are two different things, but they can both have the same net result.

Also, he said that LA was not interested in a sign-and-trade for Dwight so they would not go that route. That doesn’t mean that they wouldn’t sign Dwight outright and use their players in a trade for someone else. But you have to remember that Cleveland took a pretty hard stance that they would not be willing to sign-and-trade Lebron, but once reality set in, they realized that the deal they could get would be better than letting him walk for nothing. The SnT was beneficial for both sides, so to turn their back on it would have been foolish. LA may ultimately want the cap relief if Dwight were to sign somewhere else. But their current position on that issue could certainly change by the 10th.

12. Raven

Raven Member

It's a complete waste of time to hassle Morey over the Lin and Asik rumors, because no competent GM is going to admit to shopping their players.

1 person likes this.
  13. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

That's not BS, that's just logical. They were excited to have TRob and I was also and I didn't even see the presser. But who in there right mind would not dump TRob to get Howard. That doesn't make Morey disingenious.Just a realist. We are excited to have harden but he would trade him for Lebron in a second. That's reality.

I do believe the Rockets would trade for Josh Smith if Howard demanded it. But Howard's people aren't demanding it. And the reality is a stretch 4 would be better for Howard than Smith. Kevin Love is a better option at the 4 than Smith. And although Love is not available a pf like that (Ryan Anderson or maybe DMo) would be a better fit and not cost us Asik. Plus in the end we still have Asik and sooner or Later something of better value will come up and we can trade then. So I think More is not bs'ing and Lin and Asik or in our plans right now but nothing is etched in stone.

14. Chilly_Pete

Chilly_Pete Contributing Member

Morey also said that if they don't get Dwight it will hurt, because they had to trade Robinson to clear cap space. And they might miss out on other free agents, but it's a risk they are willing to take.

15. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Come on, man. You're a Lin fan who is choosing to believe the info that you want to believe. Yes, people owe Deeks an apology. ESPN and CBS both confirmed his initial report. As for Daryl here -- it never serves a general manager of a team to say he's shopping his players. Are you kidding me? Do you think if the Rockets shopped Lin or Asik even once... that he would tell you?

I'm not sure if they will trade Lin -- I have a hard time believing that. I have no doubts they gauged his and Asik's trade value on the market.

16. AvgJoe

AvgJoe Contributing Member

Morey will not tell you he's trading Asik and Lin unless he already made trade.

17. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I tend to believe certain things from Morey. When he says Asik is top 5 impact defender, I believe him. When the radio guy asks if they are looking to trade a player, I tend to go with the opinion that it is just a bad radio guy as the answer will be the same whether he is or not.

18. lwlee

lwlee Member

If Dwight decides to go with Rockets, not sure how Rockets benefit from SnT with LA. They can probably get better value from other teams.

19. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

We can.

I think you'd be a fool to believe Lin & Asik are unavailable. If we get Howard, I'd move Asik.

20. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Morey is clearly in CYA mode in case we don't get Dwight. There's no reason for him to admit that they are being shopped. Even a "no comment" would give it away, so a lie in this circumstance is to be expected.