1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Paula Deen N-word controversy

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by KingCheetah, Jun 22, 2013.

1. Deji McGever

Deji McGever יליד טקסני

Europeans fine...but....what about Berbers and Arabs in North Africa (and even some parts of sub-Saharan East Africa)?

My father-in-law, as an example, is a Jew from Cairo that moved to Israel as a kid in the 50s. He knows no family history before Cairo, with generations and generations living and dying there.

North Africa has been largely Arab and Berber for a long, long time. You can call them colonial as well, but if we go back that far, we could very well call all non-Ainu Japanese people "colonists" as well, or the Irish and Welsh "colonists" from Iberia.

2. thumbs

thumbs Member

By your DNA rationale, we are all Africans if anthropologists are correct. The first humans migrated north and south from the Rift Valley region. These ancient humans populated Europe, the Mideast and Asia before some of them moved across the Siberia/Alaskan land/ice bridge that once existed. So, guess what? We are all Africans.

3. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Member

Yes, black people imposed slavery on each other but a link you supplied noted that many of those blacks were owned by other blacks simply because they were family members or wanted to save them from a life of real servitude.

I don't believe that black people go around with that nostalgia that blacks were good for nothing more than being servants, something Deen seemed to imply. I don't think anybody should pay for slavery either, it's in the past but I think many people are kidding themselves if they don't see the lasting effects of it even to this day but again that's for another discussion.

4. amaru

amaru Member

They aren't Africans either....in a lot of those places, the indigenous population has been historically oppressed.

Like I said earlier....the only true Africans are black people (this includes black people world wide)

5. amaru

amaru Member

I see you didn't read my post.

There are distinct "gene pools" in our species. The African gene pool is the oldest, largest and most diverse. HOWEVER, there are others....once again, in most cases you can tell a person's ethnicity by looking at their DNA sequences.

When those groups moved out of Africa, over hundreds of thousands of years they adapted to their climate.....to the point that they were no longer Africans. Why is that so hard to understand?
    How do you think some "African Americans" have been able to trace their lineage back to specific African ethnic groups?

6. thumbs

thumbs Member

Disagree. Human DNA doesn't just emerge like new unless you believe in Creationism, which, although I'm a Christian who believes in God, I do not accept. That's like the AKA saying that purebred dogs can be traced to single origins per breed without giving any historical clues that our pets actually descend from wolves and/or wolf-like species.

Our ancestors can be traced back to two dominant strains, Cromagnon and Neanderthal. Even those strains can be traced back to other forebears -- and anthropologists are still looking for earlier Lucy ancestors who weren't apes or monkeys. Why do you think anthropologists like the Leakey clan keep exploring Africa to the virtual exclusion of anywhere else? The logical conclusion is that we are all Africans.

#106 thumbs, Jun 30, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2013
  7. amaru

amaru Member

<Human DNA doesn't just emerge like new unless you believe in Creationism>

Stop right there........where did I say that human DNA "emerged"? I remember saying that as ancient africans migrated out of africa into new environments (i.e Europe) they adapted to their climate to the point that....after hundreds of thousands of years...they ( and thus their descendants) were no longer Africans.

No offense intended but....how much do you understand about DNA, DNA mutations, and evolution?

Africa is the home of our species...however as members of our species moved out of the continent and adapted to new climates they became something non-african. These genetic changes can be traced......are you aware that genetic differences between ethnic groups can be traced? They are traced because they exist. I can provide sources if you don't believe me.

8. Nook

Nook Member

Don't feel any guilt and do not owe African Americans or American Indians a damn thing based purely on history. I do not, nor never have owned a slave. If my great great grandfather did does not in anyway reflect on me. Having said that, as someone living in the 21st century, I have a personal moral obligation to support measures that keep groups ( be they African American, women or any other group) from being treated inferior.

9. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Member

Which N-word are we talking about here? I suppose she didn't say the right one, because Bun-B uses an N-word and seems to never be criticized.

10. giddyup

giddyup Member

Yes, I read that and there is more that drills down into it which would indicate that a significant portion of that ownership was profit motivated not humanitarian. We'll probably never know the real numbers.

I think Deen was just trying to re-create a nostalgic scene for her brother's birthday. I doubt she was making a statement of any sort. She doesn't seem that political. Just poor taste.

11. amaru

amaru Member

Who takes Bun-B seriously?

12. chrispbrown

chrispbrown Member

Ninkumpoop, I am amazed she is still alive !

13. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Member

14. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Member

I for one take him very seriously -- since I started getting his newsletter my life has changed completely.

15. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Funny thing . . . black people have NOTHING to do with her getting fired.

White Woman Filed suit
    White Execs cut her off

Yet . . the Racist still take this moment to Hate on Black People
    Lovely.

Rocket River

1 person likes this.
  16. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

giddy is now taking to posting articles from white supremacist convicted murderers apparently. The author of the article is listed as Robert M Grooms. I tried to find out his credentials and it sounds like I'm not the only one who's tried. I found this post about Mr. Grooms.

http://www.debatepolitics.com/2012-u...-texas-25.html

Now this is getting really interesting. Apparently, many people on other websites have also been trying to find out just who this ROBERT M. GROOMS is as right wingers use his article - the one from apdst - all the time to soft pedal the issue of slavery and even justify it. He seems to be a celebrity in the far right white supremacist circles.

So I goodled him and got the same articles apdst seems to thrive on. So I added the word AUTHOR to the mans name and got this

Recidivist

It is an article from the publication CRIME AND DELINQUENCY October 1982 - in the same period of the other slavery articles. It says this about the author ROBERT M. GROOM

RECIDIVIST
    Robert M. Groom

The author is serving the eighth year of a life sentence for first degree murder at the Indiana State Prison, Michigan City.

Very interesting.

To the right of that information is a google search feature where you can click and get other articles by the same author. When you click on it you get the slavery articles that apdst cites.

Even more interesting is this as others have attempted to find out who Grooms is :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikiped...d/Archive_74

this from a discussion on sources which are or are not reliable to be used on wikipedia

Kimmy, I am finding some of your comments difficult to make sense of, but I think your statement "It is Strange how Daivd Duke pops up on Google with Grooms" tells me what I need to know. Grooms appears to be a person without established notability whose work has been published, as far as we know, only in a far-right magazine dedicated to historical revisionism and on some personal websites which appear to be far-right and/or white supremacist in nature. In short, the work does not appear to come from a publisher "with a reputation for fact-checking and accuracy", as required by WP:RS, so it is not reliable an cannot be used. --FormerIP (talk) 19:52, 21 August 2010 (UTC)

So the articles from Groom were judged as "not reliable and cannot be used".

17. CometsWin

Like what in the hell do giddy's posts from an apparent murderer white supremacist have to do with Paula Deen? Nobody blamed Paula Deen for slavery and Sears, Food Network, etc didn't fire her for her role in slavery. They fired her because she said a bunch of crazy stupid **** about slaves being family and dressing up people as slaves at a wedding and oh by the way she's being sued for sexism and discrimination in court. Not exactly the publicity most people want associated with their brand.

18. CometsWin

Yeah, you don't have to be a slave owner to be a racist. I guess you missed that in your whole it was the negro slave masters that did it tangent.

19. CometsWin

Her relatives owned slaves. She admitted as much in an interview that you apparently never saw.

Can you source any information about your convicted murderer author? Posting stuff on the Internet doesn't make it true. I know you struggle with that.

#119 CometsWin, Jul 2, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2013
  20. CometsWin

Can you confirm or deny that Robert Grooms is a convicted murderer and his sole article on the web (how odd is that) is not considered credible and is widely disseminated on white supremacist websites? Stay on topic giddy.

In fact, giddy pease tell me how many free blacks fought for the Confederacy. I'm sure you have that somewhere in your white guilt defense book.