1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Josh Smith Meeting With Rockets Today

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by TheSource, Jul 1, 2013.

1. BEAT LA

BEAT LA Member

2. sjackson0

sjackson0 Contributing Member

No player in today's NBA is worth 20 mil a year. Bunch of babies. Dwight is overrated, a crybaby and needs to work at his craft. Even still....if you're the best center in a league where there are NO centers, does that make you the best center in the league? Yes it does. You pay the wookie because he dominates his match up 98% of the time and creates match up nightmares for the opposition. It's not even a debate....he makes a team like the rockets 10 to 14 games better. Being overrated and a crybaby all at once.

2 people like this.
  3. thedude077

thedude077 Member

Aldridge is better and will be cheaper compare to what Josh Smith wants.

4. thedude077

thedude077 Member

I kind of agree with you. Players today want everything easy. Compare to players of the 90's I grew up with they fought their ass up and didn't whine and complained. Hakeem never demanded for another superstar or ask for a trade. He won a championship with role players in 94. I miss those days when Players played with passion, hustle and just gave all they got with or with out superstars.

5. CasaDolce

CasaDolce Rookie

This block by Jeremy on Josh Smith was awesome:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/lNe7oMnIt0c" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

6. Honey Bear

Honey Bear Contributing Member

How different is Parsons from Ryan Anderson? Anderson was a good fit as a stretch 4 next to Howard. A poor shooter like Smith really limits the space Howard gets and he's nothing great off pick and rolls.

7. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

cheaper contract... but far more expensive to get...

A S&t for Jsmith is basically whatever bone we wanna toss Atlanta.... alright we'll give ya Asik but ya gotta take White...

LMA would cost quite a bit more... Asik, Lin, a bucha draft pix, if they want any of our pfs..... and then we'll be given him max money when his contract is up...

8. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Anderson out weighs him by at least 40 lbs

9. Brandyon

Brandyon Member

He's nowhere near a top 5 PF on offense, but I'd argue he CAN be a top 5 2-way PF.

His offensive struggles are well documented, but a number of advanced stats still placed him in the top 5 when Mike Woodson was in Atlanta. During the 09-10 season, he was #11 player overall in Wins Produced.

He's certainly a risk, and I would personally rather add depth around the Harden/Howard 1-2, rather than put all those eggs in one basket. However, I think Smith can still be worth the contract he's bound to get, as long as the system plays to his strengths.

While he doesn't shoot 3's efficiently, he's a nightmare on the break both offensively & defensively. In spite of Dwights presence, the Rockets will still try to force the break whenever possible. While Howard will lag behind, Smith will excel in these situations. He's a top 3 perimeter defender, and on par with Dwight in regards to weak-side shot blocking.

Above all of this imo, is the pick&roll. The p&r is part of what makes Harden so damn good offensively. It's the single best way to take advantage of his versatility on offense, and Dwight is not one to run a lot of them. Josh Smith, on the other hand, is a fantastic at it. In his entire career, Smith has never played with someone who runs a p&r as well as Harden, and I think the two of them would be damn near unstoppable with it.

10. ball4life66

ball4life66 Member

IDK why you think the Hawks would do that trade. I don't know why everybody acts like they can get Asik for whom whoever they want. The Hawks would rather take Howard, Bynum or Jefferson before they trade Smith for Asik. No way that deal happens.

11. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

I'm starting to doubt that the meeting took place. Just not enough chatter about it.

12. Honey Bear

Honey Bear Contributing Member

The point of the pnr is to create mismatches. Harden and smith running one doesn't accomplish that. Dwight is not so good at them, which is why I feel an an adequate defender with great shooting at the 4 works better than those traits flipped.

13. b2bizchina

b2bizchina Member

The problem is not whether a player is the best one, but the problem is whether a player is the best one who we can get.
    If we can get Josh Smith at a good price,why will we not get him ?
    But we can't over pay him
    If he can't match the team, we can trade him for someone

14. BreakYoSelfFool

There are at most 5 PFs in the league better than Josh Smith and none are available.

15. SevenMinuteAbs

Didn't Hakeem demand a trade in like 92?

16. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--n...izzlies--pacers--bucks--knicks-234954522.html

17. luckytxn

luckytxn Member

Anyone can sign Josh Smith and trade him to us. We don't have to do jack with Atlanta unless it benefits us. He is an Unrestricted FA. Philly would be glad to do it. Many teams would love to get Asik just have to find one that has the cap room.

18. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

This is true. Hakeem was very immature until his 30's. look how many times he fought

19. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

20. luckytxn

luckytxn Member

Yes

We asked him to retire he said wasn't ready. We had to let him see for himself that it was over. He learned.