1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Mark Deeks: Houston trying to dump Jeremy Lin, prioritize salary over basketball assets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Jun 27, 2013.

1. Jetfuel

Jetfuel Member

So, just to be clear. You're saying that someone from the Houston FO called another NBA team's FO and told them they want to trade Lin to clear cap space, AND that they think Beverly is a better player? Because isn't that what you do, when you're looking to offload an expensive asset. You tell the guy you're trying to sell it to just how worthless it is?

Maybe you heard something about clearing cap space. That is obvious and believable. But you should man up and just admit you made the rest up to get more attention to your reporting.

1 person likes this.
  2. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

Remember that teams are always allowed to take back less salary than they send out in a trade. Since the Rockets are a non-tax paying team they can take back 150% (+100k) of the outgoing salary in a trade.

If they did want to trade Lin ($8.3M) then we could receive $12.55M in salary back in the deal.

That's still less than his $15M in actual salary but it is much closer. In fact, if the Rockets were so inclined they could include the difference in cash and make it a wash.

3. bucket

bucket Member

How did this get so much traction? For cap purposes, there is no "hike". I thought everyone knew this.

4. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

Because it's Lin.

Anyway, 3 months ago I would have said I wouldn't be shocked because it was pretty obvious Beverly was being favored by the coaching staff, but then things got switched around and Lin started handling the ball in crunchtime...and I just don't know anymore.

Whatever we do, I hope we just do it quickly and move forward.

5. hubeijames

hubeijames Member

So your source is the one who told you that the Rockets want to dump Lin because they think Beverly is better? Or was that his opinion?

6. josephnicks

josephnicks Member

hes not talking about cap, hes talking about lin being a cash cow for profit purposes. to an owner paying lin only 5 million and earning 20+ millions in endorsments is great. but the next season they will owe lin 15 million.. its about lin being able to make someone money, it has nothing to really do with basketball.. kinda like the reason lin was signed in the first place..

7. iconoclastic

iconoclastic Member

Sham/Mark Deeks:

Are you going to address the fact that the salary "hike" you mentioned doesn't exist?

8. King1

King1 Contributing Member

I've never heard of this guy so I can't give what he says much credence. That said, it would definitely be nice to move Lin's contract to give us more flexibility in free agency as I don't think he's our PG of the future. I just don't think we'll be able to get anything back that would improve the team. I think we're stuck with him for the next two years.

9. josephnicks

josephnicks Member

5/5/15 is indeed a salary hike guy.. again HES NOT TALKING ABOUT CAP SPACE HES TALKING ABOUT ACTUAL DOLLARS...

10. Knickskiller

Knickskiller Member

jetfuel, I get the feeling that mark deeks source is creditable. But all the other stuff is his own personal garnishing, which he should have not polluted the leak with.

11. Knickskiller

Knickskiller Member

lol i never thought I would say this King1. As far as trading goes, I agree with you.

12. bucket

bucket Member

I don't think he was just talking about profits, since he specifically mentioned "cap relief" and said that Lin's contract would "disqualify" the Rockets from signing Howard.

13. dream1222

dream1222 Member

first off, my apology, i just checked, it not 4000+, 9462 yesterday, 9779 now

Code:
    Lin is an absolute cash cow for any team that acquires him, for at least one year. But the big salary hike is coming, & it prohibits Dwight.
    so you said it doesn't spike the cap but it prohibits Dwight?

because It spikes the salary? why does the salary matters? isn't Lin a ABSOLUTE cash cow? i am confused

14. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Thanks for the info.

Question: As a scout, was it your opinion that Beverley is better player than Lin, or was that what your source told you? If it was your opinion, what specifically is Beverley better at?

15. Braunatron

Braunatron Member

Trade idea

Lin, T-Rob, and a future first rounder for Rondo. He can't be happy about the trade and I would be surprised if he didn't ask for a trade after being shopped at the last two trade deadlines. And if I was Boston, I would be going into full tank mode for Wiggins. Btw, we save money on this deal. Not 3 million, but still.

16. torocan

torocan Member

Honestly, I don't think anyone should be surprised if Morey is shopping Lin around.

I don't think anyone is untouchable except for Harden and possibly Parsons (cheap).

As for the reasons, Morey and Co are notoriously tight lipped. False rumors abound every trade season, and the media nearly always gets it wrong, source or no source.

Would Morey trade Lin to make room for a Dwight signing? No doubt, but it wouldn't be a pure salary dump. Morey always tries to get the most for the least, so if he ends up trading Lin for a salary dump it's because he can't get a favorable deal for anyone else to clear the cap space.

That said given the number of players on the roster, I think Harden, Parsons and Lin end up staying. I think it's far more likely that Asik gets moved if Dwight signs. And I really don't see CP3 leaving the Clippers now that they have Doc Rivers.

Unless of course Morey has another ace up his sleeve... no telling what that trade Ninja has planned.

1 person likes this.
  17. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

All he saying is that Lin is a "cash cow" but his contract still counts against the cap. Whatever money he brings in doesnt change whatever cap space we have left. Technically, he could be moved to free up space for Dwight. Same can be said to any player under guaranteed contract with Houston

18. megastahr

megastahr Contributing Member

Actually you know what would be a morey move.

Asik, Lin and trob for Lamarcus Aldridge

19. cfansnet

cfansnet Member

Eh, the LOFs don't bother me too much. It's the LOHs that are more annoying so it'll be good once they're gone. Of course once that happens, those trolls will find another target to go after.

That would be horrible because it would mean 2 things:

1. Can we trust Morey moving forward?

2. The LOFs would probably come back here to gloat.

20. dream1222

dream1222 Member

i am not against trading Lin if we failed to clear cap space